COMBATSIM Forum

Workaround Posted: if you are stuck in Direct3D 800x600

Home Fries

All,

I've been managing a few topics regarding the issue of people being unable to select their EXE, and being stuck with Direct3D 800x600. Please post in this thread if you are having this problem.

Include:

1) did you install a fresh install, or over an existing TAW 2.0?

2) What operating system are you using

3) If you are using Vista or Windows 7, which folder did you install to?

4) When you started TAW 2.0 for the first time, were you prompted to select an executable? If so, which one did you select, and when you clicked on the F22 icon, what did the dialog box tell you that it installed?

Please provide as much detail as possible, so that I can properly troubleshoot this problem. I had no problems on any of my test platforms (using different folders for all installs), nor did I receive any reports from beta testers. Therefore, any detail you can provide will be huge in debugging this potential problem.

Thanks in advance,

1. I did fresh install after removing TAW 2.02 into D:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0

2. I run Windows XP with Service Pack 2

3. When lunched TAW for the first time I select D3D 1024x768 and click on the F22 icon. After this appears 'Direct3D 1024x768 X has been installed' massage. When I start a mission game crashes with: '1024x768 not supported by hardware':( (this not happen on 2.02) Glide works only in 800x600, in fact it's a D3D 800x600(got mowing map bug)

I have no idea what else I can tell you about this problem. Hope this will help

Oh... and once again sorry for my English. My grammar is horrible I know. You've got definitely too many tenses :P

EDIT: I think I know how to solve the problem with 1024x768 resolution. I just copied TAW_RES file from the D3D_1024x768_Patch folder to the TAW main directory luched it and changed res via this program. It seems to work! Maybe glide problem can be solved the same way.

one last question. Where can I find Faustan's MFD mod? It should be in mods folder but it's not there(maybe it's already applied to TAW?)

1. I did fresh install after removing TAW 2.02 into D:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0

2. I run Windows XP with Service Pack 2

3. When lunched TAW for the first time I select D3D 1024x768 and click on the F22 icon. After this appears 'Direct3D 1024x768 X has been installed' massage. When I start a mission game crashes with: '1024x768 not supported by hardware':( (this not happen on 2.02) Glide works only in 800x600, in fact it's a D3D 800x600(got mowing map bug)

I have no idea what else I can tell you about this problem. Hope this will help

Oh... and once again sorry for my English. My grammar is horrible I know. You've got definitely too many tenses :P

EDIT: I think I know how to solve the problem with 1024x768 resolution. I just copied TAW_RES file from the D3D_1024x768_Patch folder to the TAW main directory luched it and changed res via this program. It seems to work! Maybe glide problem can be solved the same way.

one last question. Where can I find Faustan's MFD mod? It should be in mods folder but it's not there(maybe it's already applied to TAW?)

Thanks for the report. Interesting about the game.cfg; that should be part of the zip for the EXE file.

Just to confirm: it said "Direct3D 1024x768 X has been installed" and not "Direct3D 1024x768 FSX has been installed" or "Direct3D 1024x768 WSX has been installed" This bit makes a huge difference.

Faustan's mod is incorporated in TAW 2.0; there is no need to enable it separately.

1. Fresh install, uninstalling first TAW 2.02.

2. XP Service Pack 3

3. Yes, selected glide, said Original 800 x 600 glide installed, if I remember it correctly, and dgvodoo installed.

The name of the files seems not to be the problem, but I've found that in TAW 2.02 there is a line in tawexe.cfg that seems to be now missed in that file.

In TAW 2.02, the tawexe.cfg said the following:

Original

Glide

Glide

800x600

dgvoodoosetup.exe

In TAW 2.10, tawexe.cfg says the following

Glide

Glide

800x600

dgvoodoosetup.exe

I don't know why happens that. Is it significant?

Thank you very much.

PD

Also, as I've ready said in another post, extracting glide file manually and placing it in the main folder fixed the problem.

I think I have discovered the problem and found a workaround until I can post a new version of the TAW 2.0 Main Menu EXE.

Here's the problem:

When you start TAW for the first time, there are no values assigned for the TrackIR, Widescreen, and Zoom variables. Some sort of value is required, as these values are all part of the zipfiles that are unzipped. Without a proper value, the program will not find the proper file to unzip. This problem assumes that people are not selecting the TrackIR enabled versions of TAW, as selecting the TrackIR variants should assign the proper values.

This workaround should work for both first-time users as well as users who were previously unsuccessful.

1. Go to the Graphics and Applications Settings menu (this should be done for you automatically if you are running for the first time).
  2. Select the EXE of your choice.
  3. CRITICAL STEP: Cycle the TrackIR checkbox at least once to assign values to the variables. You may uncheck this box if you choose.
  4. Save your settings by clicking on the F-22 icon.

Of course, I still recommend that you use one of the TrackIR enabled EXEs, if for no other reason than giving yourself the choice of FOV and Fullscreen/Widescreen. Again, you do not need TrackIR in order to use this EXE, and there is no downside to using one of these EXEs, save the following exceptions:

1. You are using the original Union Reality VR Headgear, on which the TrackIR code was based
  2. You are unable/unwilling to install the VC++ 2008 Libraries required for the EXE to operate.

Please post your results in this thread.

I have tested your workaround and it worked. Now I can select any TAW executable from the menu.

Thank you very much and please keep on improving this great sim.

Thanks for the confirmation.

BTW, you no longer need to cycle the TrackIR; once the tawexe.cfg file is written, the variables are extracted properly.

• 2 months later...

I finally got it to run in 1024x768 using the Track IR formula, but for some

reason it's not saving my joystick setting. If I change to 800 so I can access

the TAW menu, the joystick is disabled. If I enable it, I can fly with it in

800. But if I change to 1024 the joystick is disabled. Going back to 800 and

the in game options, the joystick is disabled *sigh*. How do you make the game

recognize your joystick while flying in 1024?

Igor,

when you change EXE versions (i.e. Glide, D3D800, D3D1024), it resets the game.cfg as well. Otherwise, you could have game.cfg versions incompatible with each other (e.g. 1024 vs 800). Therefore, any changes you make when you have D3D 800 enabled are reset once you set it to D3D 1024.

The way to make this work is to set the EXE to D3D 1024. Once you have this set, click on the button below the D3D 1024 radio button called "Config D3D 1024". This essentially writes a compatible version of game.cfg (so you can go into the options menu), launches TAW, then re-writes the game.cfg to be compatible with 1024 but keeping your changes.

The TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum (PDF format in the References section) has more details on this feature, though what I just told you should be enough for you to understand the basics.

I finally got it to run in 1024x768 using the Track IR formula, but for some

reason it's not saving my joystick setting. If I change to 800 so I can access

the TAW menu, the joystick is disabled. If I enable it, I can fly with it in

800. But if I change to 1024 the joystick is disabled. Going back to 800 and

the in game options, the joystick is disabled *sigh*. How do you make the game

recognize your joystick while flying in 1024?

I keep potted versions of game.cfg files: one for glide; one for D3D and I save both in a new GAMECFG Folder. I rename them, gameGlide.exe and gameD3D.exe. Each has my own personal preferred settings (eg. RES=2 or RES=3 being the most important). If I change my .exe version I copy my appropriate .cfg version to the F-22 Total Air War 2.0 Folder, trash the the generated one and rename my gameXXXXX.cfg to game.cfg. eg: 'gameD3D.cfg' change to 'game.cfg'. Its not the quickest, but its the easiest for my old brain to follow .... ;)

Wombat brings up an interesting. idea, and it is Possible to back up your game.cfg files and even overwrite the zip versions with your own.

Also, for the next version I'll see about revising the code to tweak the game.cfg file (rather than overwrite) when the EXE is changed.

That did the trick. One should ALWAYS read the documentation huh?

Thanks for the help.

Igor,

when you change EXE versions (i.e. Glide, D3D800, D3D1024), it resets the game.cfg as well. Otherwise, you could have game.cfg versions incompatible with each other (e.g. 1024 vs 800). Therefore, any changes you make when you have D3D 800 enabled are reset once you set it to D3D 1024.

The way to make this work is to set the EXE to D3D 1024. Once you have this set, click on the button below the D3D 1024 radio button called "Config D3D 1024". This essentially writes a compatible version of game.cfg (so you can go into the options menu), launches TAW, then re-writes the game.cfg to be compatible with 1024 but keeping your changes.

The TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum (PDF format in the References section) has more details on this feature, though what I just told you should be enough for you to understand the basics.