COMBATSIM Forum

AWACS Objectives

I'm playing F-22 TAW and I don't understand what the objectives of the AWACS mission in campaign mode is. in ADF the objectives were laid out so you could tell when the mission was over; however in taw there isn't, so how do i know when i can exit the awacs without recieving a mission failed message afterwards. This may just be a dumb question, but i like the awacs missions, i just dont want to spend four hours playing until the flight lands.

I'm playing F-22 TAW and I don't understand what the objectives of the AWACS mission in campaign mode is. in ADF the objectives were laid out so you could tell when the mission was over; however in taw there isn't, so how do i know when i can exit the awacs without recieving a mission failed message afterwards. This may just be a dumb question, but i like the awacs missions, i just dont want to spend four hours playing until the flight lands.

The AWACS mission in the TAW campaign is simply battlespace management. You just go until you get a pop-up saying that your mission is complete (30 mins, I believe, though you can use the time compression).

I did a quick search but I couldn't find a post for the Paradox Tactic in this forum, but I can give you a brief outline for it. It's a powerful tool to use for campaign management if you like using the AWACS function in TAW. Essentially what the tactic does is use the mission editor in the campaigns to load up CAP flights with F22's armed with AG weapons of choice and then taking the required waypoint needed for a successful mission and moving it over your current position on the tarmac. You then get a mission success. At this point you move the waypoints to an area that needs to have a good pounding then get the flight in the air and then end the mission. Since you had a mission success you don't lose any points. You can repeat this process a number of times. Now you have a load of F22's to choose from all heading to an area that needs some attention. So you jump into the AWACS and start to direct the flights to targets and jump in and out of the F22's to get into the action if you want to.

Myself, I like using the AWACS function in the campaigns occasionally to get flights to hit targets that need more attention. I also like to use the tactic above to get a few F22's in the area so that I can get some flying in during the AWACS session, because sometimes there aren't any F22's in the right place, in which case you can't do any flying.

What I've given you is a very basic overview of the tactic.

• 2 months later...

The AWACS mission in the TAW campaign is simply battlespace management. You just go until you get a pop-up saying that your mission is complete (30 mins, I believe, though you can use the time compression).

Reading this thread reminded me of another question I have run into. In a campaign while doing an AWACS mission, I seem to 'lose' the ability to control fighters in some ways. I can still tell them to intercept incoming bogies but I lose the ability to tell them to land or anything else UNLESS they are F22's.

Some aircraft cannot refuel in the air. So you cannot tell them to do so. Understandably. When I start the mission I can usually tell aircraft to land at an airfield though.. but at some point I lose this ability and can no longer order aircraft to land at an airbase. Any idea why? It would be nice to immediately land aircraft with fuel leaks for repairs but am unable to do so. Regardless I cannot even tell undamaged aircraft to land any more. I have checked to insure they are not in dogfighting mod nor near any enemy aircraft that might keep them active.

Would also be nice to be able to tell unarmed aircraft to land instead of going into a dogfight where I loose all control over them as well. Very irritating to watch myself loose aircraft because of entering a battle with no missiles.