COMBATSIM Forum

Error in taw6.udl

Home Fries,

I replaced my players folder with the one that I had been using with the TAW 2008 and my training missions that I completed are correct, but when I go to the pilot log I only have 1 point even though it shows all of my medals. When I go into campaign mode it shows that I have two active, but the campaigns completed in the pilot log don't show up on the campaign selection list on the left. When I try to go into one of the active campaigns I get;

Error: unable to find UDL file - C:\TAW ....0\taw6.udl

I guess there is something missing in the player folder. I didn't really get around to playing a campaign in 2008, but I do remember that I was able to get into one of the active ones without this error. Also, I remember that not all of my completed campaigns were there at that time, but my score was correct.

Home Fries,

I replaced my players folder with the one that I had been using with the TAW 2008 and my training missions that I completed are correct, but when I go to the pilot log I only have 1 point even though it shows all of my medals. When I go into campaign mode it shows that I have two active, but the campaigns completed in the pilot log don't show up on the campaign selection list on the left. When I try to go into one of the active campaigns I get;

Error: unable to find UDL file - C:\TAW ....0\taw6.udl

I guess there is something missing in the player folder. I didn't really get around to playing a campaign in 2008, but I do remember that I was able to get into one of the active ones without this error. Also, I remember that not all of my completed campaigns were there at that time, but my score was correct.

I'm not sure what to say about the pilot score, although I know that the score resets to 1 once you roll over the maximum score.

As far as the taw6.udl goes, that file is generated by the campaign engine and is saved in your players\0 (or whatever your pilot number is) folder.

Now here's the thing: if you look at the players.lst file, you will see that the pointer to the save folder is an absolute (as opposed to relative) folder address (e.g. c:\taw2008\players\0, rather than .\players\0); if you just copied everything over from TAW2008 to TAW 2.0, the address in players.lst still points to the old TAW2008 folder. Just change the folder in the players.lst file to your TAW 2.0 folder tree and you should be good to go.

You could also try to use the pilot utility that came with 2.10 (though it has a bug in Win98 that I haven't yet figured out), though if you've already copied the files, there's not much else you need to do other than open players.lst in notepad to change the folder address.

I'm not sure what to say about the pilot score, although I know that the score resets to 1 once you roll over the maximum score.

As far as the taw6.udl goes, that file is generated by the campaign engine and is saved in your players\0 (or whatever your pilot number is) folder.

Now here's the thing: if you look at the players.lst file, you will see that the pointer to the save folder is an absolute (as opposed to relative) folder address (e.g. c:\taw2008\players\0, rather than .\players\0); if you just copied everything over from TAW2008 to TAW 2.0, the address in players.lst still points to the old TAW2008 folder. Just change the folder in the players.lst file to your TAW 2.0 folder tree and you should be good to go.

You could also try to use the pilot utility that came with 2.10 (though it has a bug in Win98 that I haven't yet figured out), though if you've already copied the files, there's not much else you need to do other than open players.lst in notepad to change the folder address.

Here is the pointer from the player.lst file that I created before copying the players folder "C:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0\players\0\" 0 1 1". This appears to be correct. In my zero folder though, there is no taw6.udl. There is a taw3.udl that I assume is associated with TAW3.MDL and TAW3.SAV (I'm assuming that the caps in the names are because it was one I just started in TAW 2.0 because all of the others are lower case). There is a taw10.udl associated with taw10.mdl and taw10.sav, but there are no .udl files for taw5 and taw6 .mdl and .sav files.

When I go to the campaign menu it shows Strike Force Urgent Shield and Choke Point as active and in the campaign log it shows Strike Force and Flame Out as War Won. In the "0" folder I have reference files for taw3,5,6 and 10.

I'm confused, as to what is going on, but it really doesn't matter because I will probably replay them all again anyway.

Here is the pointer from the player.lst file that I created before copying the players folder "C:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0\players\0\" 0 1 1". This appears to be correct. In my zero folder though, there is no taw6.udl. There is a taw3.udl that I assume is associated with TAW3.MDL and TAW3.SAV (I'm assuming that the caps in the names are because it was one I just started in TAW 2.0 because all of the others are lower case). There is a taw10.udl associated with taw10.mdl and taw10.sav, but there are no .udl files for taw5 and taw6 .mdl and .sav files.

When I go to the campaign menu it shows Strike Force Urgent Shield and Choke Point as active and in the campaign log it shows Strike Force and Flame Out as War Won. In the "0" folder I have reference files for taw3,5,6 and 10.

I'm confused, as to what is going on, but it really doesn't matter because I will probably replay them all again anyway.

You should check your old files to see of the save files exist. BTW, taw10.mdl is actually the second campaign due to the way they sorted via ascii, with taw2-9 reflecting campaigns 3-10 respectively.

If the old files don't exist and you can't open the active campaigns, just start them over, which will create new save files for you.

You should check your old files to see of the save files exist. BTW, taw10.mdl is actually the second campaign due to the way they sorted via ascii, with taw2-9 reflecting campaigns 3-10 respectively.

If the old files don't exist and you can't open the active campaigns, just start them over, which will create new save files for you.

I was most concerned about retaining my training mission status and my 5 star rating giving me access to all the campaigns all of which I was able to copy over to TAW 2.0. As I said previously I plan on going through the campaigns again so retaining my old campaign records were not as big a concern. I was just confused as to what was going on. Knowing that taw10 is actually the second campaign clears up some of the confusion.

Thanks again for the info.

I was most concerned about retaining my training mission status and my 5 star rating giving me access to all the campaigns all of which I was able to copy over to TAW 2.0. As I said previously I plan on going through the campaigns again so retaining my old campaign records were not as big a concern. I was just confused as to what was going on. Knowing that taw10 is actually the second campaign clears up some of the confusion.

Thanks again for the info.

I just realized I gave you some bum gouge. While taw10 and taw2 are swapped, taw3-9 are unaffected in their hierarchy.

Here is the proper section of the scenario.txt file, which should tell you everything you need to know:

; Campaign scenarios

MISS_TYPE 0 "Custom" 10 0

MISS 0 "Highland" "taw1" "taw1" -1 USE_BITMAP 0

MISS 1 "Urgent Shield" "taw10" "taw10" -1 USE_BITMAP 9

MISS 2 "Strike Force" "taw3" "taw3" -1 USE_BITMAP 2

MISS 3 "Outcast" "taw4" "taw4" -1 USE_BITMAP 3

MISS 4 "Flame Out" "taw5" "taw5" -1 USE_BITMAP 4

MISS 5 "Choke Point" "taw6" "taw6" -1 USE_BITMAP 5

MISS 6 "Thin Line" "taw7" "taw7" -1 USE_BITMAP 6

MISS 7 "Sea Control" "taw8" "taw8" -1 USE_BITMAP 7

MISS 8 "Sea Breeze" "taw9" "taw9" -1 USE_BITMAP 8

MISS 9 "Port of Call" "taw2" "taw2" -1 USE_BITMAP 1