COMBATSIM Forum

Multi-purpose functions for a single Button on an X52?

Edit: I've duplicated this thread here (hope that's aloud ..... don't know how to transfer]. I know flyers here have X52's (Hawkx?) and I would love to be able to do the following on my X52 just as I can on my Cougar. Thanks.

I've asked this question elsewhere and never found a satisfactory answer.

I have an X52.

I want to program a single button, say the Button B on the Joystick so that:

it performs three different functions with each press/release and then cycles through the same functions repeatedly (without using any pinkie, mode switch, etc.)

eg: a,b,c,a,b,c,a,b,c,a ......etc

or (4 functions this time, but same requirement)

Look front, look left, look right, look back, look front, look left, look right ...... etc

All achieve by repeated press/release of the same button.

Thank you.

I have an X52.

it performs three different functions with each press/release and then cycles through the same functions repeatedly (without using any pinkie, mode switch, etc.)

eg: a,b,c,a,b,c,a,b,c,a ......etc

Look front, look left, look right, look back, look front, look left, look right ...... etc

Thank you.

Wombat,

As far as I see your request;

There is no;

Ref:

See/Open "TAWhelp.hlp" in your F-22 Total Air War 2.0 root folder

This is what I use with my X52:

F1 = In pit view. (Mode 1)

To pan around, I use the arrow keys. (Mode 2)

F7 = Player moveable external view. (Not programed on my X52)

To pan around, I use the arrow keys. (Mode 2)

Zoom out = Keypad 1 (Not programed on my X52)

Zoom in = Keypad 7 (Not programed on my X52)

As you are not pressed for time:

Good for checking around the airport.

I hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hawkx

I think what Wombat is asking is if there is a way to autorepeat a sequence of keys (e.g. repeat the "chaff - flare" sequence as long as the button is pressed).

Another way of possibly looking at it: is there any way to program a macro (e.g. chaff - flare), then just have that macro repeat when a button is held?

I think what Wombat is asking is if there is a way to autorepeat a sequence of keys (e.g. repeat the "chaff - flare" sequence as long as the button is pressed).

Another way of possibly looking at it: is there any way to program a macro (e.g. chaff - flare), then just have that macro repeat when a button is held?

Home Fries, How did you poke your nose in to a PM?

Me thinks you have too much control.

You have my permission to poke your nose anywhere you wish. :thumbsup:

Back to Wombat's Q;

How to create a macro on your X52 joystick.

Ref: http://www.saitek.com/manuals/SST_Manual_En.pdf

Creating a macro is similar to creating a keystroke

sequence. To create a macro, right click on the button

cell to which you want to assign the macro and then

select New Macro from the drop-down menu. You will

see the cursor is flashing in the cell, just like for a basic command.

Now input your keystroke sequence, exactly as you would input it in the game using the keyboard.

You will notice that the keys are shaded to indicate that they are part of a macro and not just a basic keystroke sequence.

Click the green tick mark when you have finished inputting your chosen macro sequence.

Just as with keystrokes, the editor will prompt you to name your command.

When you have named the macro, hit the return key on the keyboard.

Advanced Commands:

Going back to the drop-down menu that appears when you right-click on a button line,

click the New Advanced Command option. This will open a window to the right.

Each window represents a different state of the button to which you are assigning the Advanced Command.

Any keystroke sequence in the Press row will happen when you press the button the command is assigned too. B)

Edited by Hawkx

Home Fries, How did you poke your nose in to a PM?

Me thinks you have too much control.

Don't worry; my admin privileges don't extend to reading PMs; they primarily extend to splitting and consolidating threads (which I've enjoyed over the past week ;) ).

I was just reading what Wombat wrote on the post, and interpreted based on some of our IM chats.

No not quite:

Look here: http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=18756

Wombat1940

72aunderconstruction.gif

I digress & repeat;

As far as I see your request;

There is no;

Ref:

See/Open "TAWhelp.hlp" in your F-22 Total Air War 2.0 root folder

I found no such keypress.

Why would you want to muck up your jstick buttons with a keypress like that anyway? :unsure:

The more controlled way to pan around is with the arrow keys (In the pit F1)

There is a "Check your six view" (Shift F1).

How the Saitek manual suggests creating a macro:

Ref: http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/manuals.htm

SST Manual

Creating a macro is similar to creating a keystroke sequence.

To create a macro, right click on the button

cell to which you want to assign the macro and then

select New Macro from the drop-down menu. You will

see the cursor is flashing in the cell, just like for a basic command.

Now input your keystroke sequence, exactly as you would input it in the game using the keyboard. You will

notice that the keys are shaded to indicate that they are part of a macro and not just a basic keystroke sequence.

Click the green tick mark when you have finished inputting your chosen macro sequence.

Just as with keystrokes, the editor will prompt you to name your command.

When you have named the macro, hit the return key on the keyboard.

Advanced Commands:

Going back to the drop-down menu that appears when you right-click on a button line,

click the New Advanced Command option. This will open a window to the right.

Each window represents a different state of the button to which you are assigning the Advanced Command.

Any keystroke sequence in the Press row will happen when you press the button the command is assigned to.

Did I help you this time? B)

Edited by Hawkx

Hawk that was just an Example he Does NOT want to use those to pan around.. He is just saying that he wants to Combine Multiple Functions to 1 Button..

Go for it man. I don't understand why, but you are good with your X52 buttons. :icon_salute3:

Give it a shot. :P

Oh,, I see. It's not what Wombat wants to program to 1 Button.

He just wants to know if it's possible.

OK Yes. It is possible to "Combine Multiple Functions to 1 Button.."

Example:

The pit view (F1). Combines multiple functions to 1 keypress.

Edited by Hawkx

Go for it man. I don't understand why, but you are good with your X52 buttons. :icon_salute3:

No, its not whose good or better. I like any responses, because it all helps both of us to improve our understanding. The problem is with me not you: I need to be more specific. That's why a gave the the post redirection to the Saitek Forum, where I hope I had made it a little clearer. I'll go thru your suggestions Hawkx. Thanks

Nephilim:

He is just saying that he wants to Combine Multiple Functions to 1 Button.

Spot on Neph. What do you think?

By-the-by, I going to use the bones of your profile to develop mine.

HF. Thanks for shifting these posts from a PM. Its far better out here in the mainstream.

Oh,, I see. It's not what Wombat wants to program to 1 Button.

He just wants to know if it's possible.

OK Yes. It is possible to "Combine Multiple Functions to 1 Button.."

Example:

The pit view (F1). Cycles multiple functions to 1 keypress.

I goofed up again. I clicked on "Reply" instead of "Edit".

I wish we had a "Delete" choice. Then I could just delete this post. All I can say now.. is sorry :blink:

I will spend more time reading posts, and less time posting.

I probably still didn't give Wombat the answer he is looking for.

Hay HF.. With your influence, can you get me a "Delete" choice?

Edited by Hawkx

I goofed up again. I clicked on "Reply" instead of "Edit".

I wish we had a "Delete" choice. Then I could just delete this post. All I can say now.. is sorry :blink:

I will spend more time reading posts, and less time posting.

I probably still didn't give Wombat the answer he is looking for.

Hay HF.. With your influence, can you get me a "Delete" choice?

No need to edit or delete. An honest mistake. I make them all the time. I then beat myself with a cat-of-nine-tail, but I do not recommend this. ;)

By-the-by. Here's the definative response from Saitek:

Wombat asked:

Multi-purpose functions for a single Button on an X52? Is it possible to do?

I've asked this question before, I think here, and never found a satisfactory answer.

I have an X52.

it performs three different functions with each press/release and then cycles through the same functions with each separate press/release (without using any pinkie, mode switch, etc.)

eg: [press/release]a,[press/release] b,[press/release]c,[press/release]a,[press/release]b,[press/release]c,[press/release]a,[press/release]b,[press/release]c,[press/release]a ......etc

[press/release]Look front, [press/release]look left, [press/release]look right, [press/release]look back, [press/release]look front, [press/release]look left, [press/release]look right ...... etc

Thank you.

UKSupport, Administrator response:

Hi,

No, it's not possible at the moment. It's a feature that we'd like to include but there are a great many other things that are taking precedence, I'm afraid.

Best Regards

Richard Neville

PC Gaming Category Manager

Saitek UK

Wombat says at CombatSim: I've been waiting 2 years, how much longer? Nice if we could show Saitek how within the constraints of the current SD6 Software. ;)

Wombat1940,

Here I go again, even though Neph said that's not what you are asking.

--Neph--"Wombat is just saying that he wants to Combine Multiple Functions to 1 Button."

Any key on the keyboard?

If your answer is yes, please show Wombat the way.

It would seem to me that depends on the game functions.

Program F1 to one button, you are in the pit.

Press the same button again you are outside.

Is that a multiple function to 1 Button?

I am not going to beat Wombat's question to death.

If you know what Wombat wants, show him.

---------------------------------------------------

Again,, this is my best answer..

skeleton.gif

There is no keypress for "Look up, Look down,, etc.

There is a keypress to "Look right & Look left, only when in the pit. (F1)

Ie;

Press Keypad 9 & repeat to look right in 30 degree jerks.

Press Keypad 7 & repeat to look left in 30 degree jerks.

Press Keypad 8 to return to the pit view.

IMHO, Not very usable compared to using the arrow keys to pan around.

BTW; Those keys should be easy to program to your X52.

Try them, in-game, 1st to check before you program.

You may agree with me, "Not very usable" :o

Edited by Hawkx

no kidding. Thrustmaster has allowed that function since the F-16 FLCS (or at least the digital chip upgrade)

:thumbsup: Its a real problem for me. Its the way my mind works. It seems a naturally intuitive way to program a profile: target list/cycle targets (one button, two presses [no pinkie (use for something else, maybe forwards/backwards)] ......... FIRE! Not good .....

For that, I like to have separate buttons, though they can (and in my case are) different directions on the same hat switch.

Consider this: you create your target list, so you want the next time you press the key to be target cycle. However, after you set your target list, you realize you need to have the AIM9X selected (and you did your target list for the AIM120R). Once you change weapons, you will need to create the target list again (target lists are slaved to weapons). Pressing the same button and cycling would do you no good here. Dedicated functions for your switches is the way to go in this case.

Wombat,

I know that this isn't exactly what you want to do, but did you ever try banding the rotaries for multiple functions. Doing that would at least give you the multiple functions on 2 rotaries and using the shift 2 additional.

For that, I like to have separate buttons, though they can (and in my case are) different directions on the same hat switch.

Consider this: you create your target list, so you want the next time you press the key to be target cycle. However, after you set your target list, you realize you need to have the AIM9X selected (and you did your target list for the AIM120R). Once you change weapons, you will need to create the target list again (target lists are slaved to weapons). Pressing the same button and cycling would do you no good here. Dedicated functions for your switches is the way to go in this case.

Thanks HF. I'm sure there's alternatives to my preference, and the example I give above is not really what I wish to set up. Its just a simplified example. The one I seek has 4 to 5 functions cycling throught single button presses. One additional function being "Threat to Player", another, "Missile Movable". But I don't want to go down the example path. My requirement is a generic solution to "Multi-purpose functions for a single Button on my X52".

Wombat,

I know that this isn't exactly what you want to do, but did you ever try banding the rotaries for multiple functions. Doing that would at least give you the multiple functions on 2 rotaries and using the shift 2 additional.

Thanks Ramjet. Banding? I'll read the manual again. Don't recall "banding", but with my memory what's new? ;)

Assuming that you are using the Saitek software, just go into profile editor and right click on the rotary button and choose bands. This will allow you to set up bands or functions that will be initiated when the rotary is used. I don't know if you can make it do exactly what you want, but it might be worth a try for you.

Thanks HF. I'm sure there's alternatives to my preference, and the example I give above is not really what I wish to set up. Its just a simplified example. The one I seek has 4 to 5 functions cycling throught single button presses. One additional function being "Threat to Player", another, "Missile Movable". But I don't want to go down the example path. My requirement is a generic solution to "Multi-purpose functions for a single Button on my X52".

Understood. However, in this case a specific example would've been ideal.

From this example, it sounds as if you wish to use a toggle function (/T, which has been in the thrusty family since the F-16 FLCS) to go between commands using the same button.

Understood. However, in this case a specific example would've been ideal.

From this example, it sounds as if you wish to use a toggle function (/T, which has been in the thrusty family since the F-16 FLCS) to go between commands using the same button.

Yes, but not sure if it was /T I was using, but about to find out as I work on my Cougar for TAW2.12beta6 and 2100 tonight.