COMBATSIM Forum

I've always had trouble with the term "Padlocking". I know what it means and in most cases I know how its used. But sometimes it just doesn't gel.

Like in the TAW Command Keyboard Reference: " ..... F2 - F5 are padlock / external toggles ......" :unsure:

I realize I don't use "from the cockpit" padlocking as often as I should. Maybe because I don't find padlocking (aircraft, objects, buildings, etc) very easy to achieve. Also maybe I make to many "holes in the ground" or Betty's screaming at me "pull up, pull up ....." to try and get it right. :lol:

Some basic advice on padlocking would be appreciated.

[if I raised this before, or its all been done already ........ just blame my age. Extended stays in Bali does this to me ...... ;)]

I assign padlock keys to my Saitek X45. That allows you to "Look Around" without much effort. I find the target padlock very useful for locating ground targets (especially at night). Then you can just toggle through the targets and if you have weapons like Mavericks all you have to do is fire away.

I assign padlock keys to my Saitek X45. That allows you to "Look Around" without much effort. I find the target padlock very useful for locating ground targets (especially at night). Then you can just toggle through the targets and if you have weapons like Mavericks all you have to do is fire away.

Thanks Ramjet. I've actually been practicing "Visual Padlocking " with the F4 key. I've now got it to work, but only since I now realize you have to be in the right mode by using the F9 to select the mode before padlocking.

Anyway, I'll make a further report later.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had trouble with the term "Padlocking". I know what it means and in most cases I know how its used. But sometimes it just doesn't gel.

Like in the TAW Command Keyboard Reference: " ..... F2 - F5 are padlock / external toggles ......" :unsure:

I realize I don't use "from the cockpit" padlocking as often as I should. Maybe because I don't find padlocking (aircraft, objects, buildings, etc) very easy to achieve. Also maybe I make to many "holes in the ground" or Betty's screaming at me "pull up, pull up ....." to try and get it right. :lol:

Some basic advice on padlocking would be appreciated.

[if I raised this before, or its all been done already ........ just blame my age. Extended stays in Bali does this to me ...... ;)]

I've at last made some sense out of all this Padlocking thing. Here's my basic understanding and the bits I use.

In that regard, I've only concern myself with views I see from the cockpit: the internal cockpit views. Anything else (ie. external views and views of something looking at me) I don't include. They're not what the pilot sees.

Some terminology issues.

OBJECT = an aircraft, ground vehicle, missile, building or structure. eg. EF2000, Wingman, SAM delivery vehicle, AIM-9X Sidewinder, Control Tower, Bridge, etc.

TARGET = any OBJECT (except a missile) which you have a lock on (ie. locked up).

THREAT = any OBJECT excluding buildings and structures.

In the light of the above terms:

The Internal Cockpit Padlock View (I'll abbreviate to Padlock View) is what a pilot would see if he looks straight at the OBJECT. Even if its on his six or even directly below his aircraft.

To achieve these Padlock Views I use the F2, F3, F4, F5 keys together with the Z and F11 keys and sometimes F9 when I want to cheat. More on F9 later.

F2 will give me a Padlock View of any TARGET I have locked up......If I have more than one TARGET locked up, I can move to each, in turn, by using the Z key.

F5 will give me a Padlock View of any Wingman................................If I have more than one Wingman, ............... I can move to each, in turn, by using the Z key.

F3 will give me a Padlock View of any THREAT (including missiles)..If I have more than one THREAT, ................ I can move to each, in turn, by using the Z key.

F4 will give me a Padlock View of any OBJECT (excluding missiles). [Not sure if you can Padlock more than one view with the F4 key. Haven't tried that yet.]

There are Player to OBJECT distant issues with F3 and F4 padlocking, and all I'll say here is that you have to be close.

To get a Padlock View of an OBJECT with F4 you look directly at it, from your cockpit, and press F4.

IMPORTANT: To achieve an OBJECT Padlock View with the F4 key, you must also be in the correct object mode (ie. Aircraft, Ground Mobile or Static Targets). To do this you make your choice with the F11 before attempting to get a Padlock View with the F4 key. Eg: If I want to get a Padlock View of a bridge I will select "Static Targets" with the F11 key first.

Well that's my setup and I can't fly successfully without them. With my newly acquired understanding of Padlock Views and Canopy Markers I'm twice the pilot I was before. Which still only makes me a novice :rofl:.

There are other padlock keys and other padlock views, but the above are my basic set and gets me by with my old brain. ;) Any comments would be appreciated. I can't have it totally right. Corrections please.

Thanks.

Oh ....... nearly forgot ........ that F9 cheat key.

When you're in your Padlock View and watching the OBJECT from the comfort of your cockpit, the F9 key will let you go and have a better look at the OBJECT ....... externally ..... right up close .......... moveable as well. This can be most useful. Example: when you've given specific instructions to your wingman to "Knock it off!", you can F5 then F9 and actually go and see if the bugger has done so!........ :lol:

Edit: I'm already finding faults (only small ones this far) so I will make edits to above in red and record the edit number here. Not into this beta thing ..... ;)

Edit 1

Edited by Wombat1940

You and Neph should write an article for the TAW Wiki.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Must give this TAW Wiki thing a look ...... :unsure:

EDIT: Just had a look. :thumbsup: Surprised to see I could "make changes" to text entries. Made one small typo entry change on Neph's page. Sorry Neph, thought I should come klean ;). But then backed out before I did any damage ..... :unsure:

Edited by Wombat1940
  • 8 months later...

I've at last made some sense out of all this Padlocking thing. Here's my basic understanding and the bits I use.

In that regard, I've only concern myself with views I see from the cockpit: the internal cockpit views. Anything else (ie. external views and views of something looking at me) I don't include. They're not what the pilot sees.

Some terminology issues.

OBJECT = an aircraft, ground vehicle, missile, building or structure. eg. EF2000, Wingman, SAM delivery vehicle, AIM-9X Sidewinder, Control Tower, Bridge, etc.

TARGET = any OBJECT (except a missile) which you have a lock on (ie. locked up).

THREAT = any OBJECT excluding buildings and structures.

In the light of the above terms:

The Internal Cockpit Padlock View (I'll abbreviate to Padlock View) is what a pilot would see if he looks straight at the OBJECT. Even if its on his six or even directly below his aircraft.

To achieve these Padlock Views I use the F2, F3, F4, F5 keys together with the Z and F11 keys and sometimes F9 when I want to cheat. More on F9 later.

F2 will give me a Padlock View of any TARGET I have locked up......If I have more than one TARGET locked up, I can move to each, in turn, by using the Z key.

F5 will give me a Padlock View of any Wingman................................If I have more than one Wingman, ............... I can move to each, in turn, by using the Z key.

F3 will give me a Padlock View of any THREAT (including missiles)..If I have more than one THREAT, ................ I can move to each, in turn, by using the Z key.

F4 will give me a Padlock View of any OBJECT (excluding missiles). [Not sure if you can Padlock more than one view with the F4 key. Haven't tried that yet.]

There are Player to OBJECT distant issues with F3 and F4 padlocking, and all I'll say here is that you have to be close.

To get a Padlock View of an OBJECT with F4 you look directly at it, from your cockpit, and press F4.

IMPORTANT: To achieve an OBJECT Padlock View with the F4 key, you must also be in the correct object mode (ie. Aircraft, Ground Mobile or Static Targets). To do this you make your choice with the F11 before attempting to get a Padlock View with the F4 key. Eg: If I want to get a Padlock View of a bridge I will select "Static Targets" with the F11 key first.

Well that's my setup and I can't fly successfully without them. With my newly acquired understanding of Padlock Views and Canopy Markers I'm twice the pilot I was before. Which still only makes me a novice :rofl:.

There are other padlock keys and other padlock views, but the above are my basic set and gets me by with my old brain. ;) Any comments would be appreciated. I can't have it totally right. Corrections please.

Thanks.

Oh ....... nearly forgot ........ that F9 cheat key.

When you're in your Padlock View and watching the OBJECT from the comfort of your cockpit, the F9 key will let you go and have a better look at the OBJECT ....... externally ..... right up close .......... moveable as well. This can be most useful. Example: when you've given specific instructions to your wingman to "Knock it off!", you can F5 then F9 and actually go and see if the bugger has done so!........ :lol:

Edit 1: I'm already finding faults (only small ones this far) so I will make edits to above in red and record the edit number here. Not into this beta thing ..... ;)

Edit 2

You can actually padlock say Ground Mobiles (F11 then F4) and say Static Targets (F11 then F4 again) then select either type with F11 and cycle through each target. Not sure about doing it with Aircraft.

I know there's probably lots of other threads/tuts/wiki files regarding padlocking but I'll keep posting here with what I find by experimentation.

Thanks to Eagle I now find there is no need to go <F11> (select filter), <F4> (select player to object int/ext), and <z>(cycle fwd). You just go:

<F11> and then <z>. No need for <F4>.

Also now using <s> (add to my shootlist) and <m> (add to wingman's shootlist) when cycling though the padlocks with <z>.

An otherthing is if you fly out of visual range for visual identification you loose padlock. However if you return to within visual range you again gain padlock.

My problem is to remember all this in 6 months time because of my old brain. :lol:

One question yet to be resolved: how do you break all padlocks? Like you can with the weapons and <u> to cancel the shootlist? :unsure:

One question yet to be resolved: how do you break all padlocks? Like you can with the weapons and <u> to cancel the shootlist? :unsure:

F1 to put you back in the cockpit view should work. Likewise, if you were using the F3 padlock (i.e. in cockpit to target), F3 again will put you back into "regular view" BTW, this is very useful with a HOTAS, as you just assign a button as F3 and you can quick-toggle padlock, then go back to TrackIR.

F1 to put you back in the cockpit view should work. Likewise, if you were using the F3 padlock (i.e. in cockpit to target), F3 again will put you back into "regular view"

Yes no problem with reverting to other views, but its canceling the padlocks that I am after. Reverting to F1 does not clear the padlocks (which we would not want as it would stop us toggling F3/F1). I can't re-padlock with the F3 or F4, unless I fly out of visual range. Just hoped there would be an equivalent <u> keystroke like with clearing the shootlist.

BTW, this is very useful with a HOTAS, as you just assign a button as F3 and you can quick-toggle padlock, then go back to TrackIR.

I'm setting up a similar system to toggle between F3 padlock and KP8 HUD view to assist with situation awareness. Did some 1 v 1 with Neph today and do I need every little help I can get. :rolleyes::

EDIT: Ooops ..... into the 1700 ....... do I get more promotion? ....... JUST JOKING ...... :P