COMBATSIM Forum

The LANTIRN in Slaved Mode

I've been giving the LANTIRN a bit of a work over; using GBU24's. No problem in the FREE mode. Might need to adjust the LT (Locked Target) position a touch during bomb fall, but it works fine. It was when I was trying to use the SLAVED mode (slaved to a weapon's target that is) that the accuracy was difficult to maintain. Particularly on small targets such ground vehicles (tanks, humvees, etc).

I followed the training advice given on page 231 "F22 ADF Strategy Guide" which work in principle but needed looking at further.

The Strategy Guide suggests to locate small targets you set your LANTIRN to SLAVED, build a Shoot List for the A2G Cannon, identify your target by cycling views of the targets using the IRST display in the Up-Front MFD, select the right target, LT it in the LANTIRN display, switch the A2G weapon to GBU24's, and release the same when instructed to do so.

The only problem is the target disappears off the LANTIRN display immediately you switch from cannon to GBU24's :(. So I don’t switch to GBU24’s until I know I’m well with the the missiles range. Once I’ve been given the OK to “Shoot” I release the missile and immediate switch back to LANTIRN cannon display so I can see the target. [Edit: I now don't think you do see the target by switching back to LATIRN Cannon Display] Despite the small target and providing you line up to fly over the target, fly steadily, you’ll hit the target almost every times.

One other thing. I find I can target aircraft on the ground even if they are moving to the runway. They appear in the cannon shoot list so you can LT them in the LANTIRN, select the GBU24’s and wait for the shoot queue. However you need to note where the target is because again it disappears of the LANTIRN with GBU’s selected. If the target plane in in a holding pen its easy. You just keep adjust the target box in the LANTIRN so it stays directed at the “empty” holding pen as the box tends to drift slightly during bomb fall. If the aircraft is on the runway just remember which take off marker its at. If its taxiing to the runway ……… well …… good luck because you can’t see it in the GBU selected LANTIRN view.

However, maybe this all academic. Why waste a GBU24 on ground base aircraft when they are big enough to pick them off quickly and easily with cannon shots. Maybe its an idea to get rid of the SAM Launchers first with the GBU’s. ;)

Edit: Alternative and better explanation here: http://taw.wikia.com/wiki/Engaging_A_Unitary_Target_with_the_GBU-24. Thanks HF.

Edited by Wombat1940

Engaging a Uitary Target with the GBU-24 (TAW Wiki)

Hopefully this clears things up a bit. Remember, this is what we did that time we flew online, when all we had were GBUs and we had to take out the ZSU-23's.

I didn't realize that this technique was in the strategy guide (perhaps I should read up on it). I thought I had devised the technique (or at least I devised the technique, but I thought I was the first ;) ).

Personally, I think that the GBU's are not worth taking along especially if you are going to target things like ground based aircraft, vehicles, etc. If you want inflict major damage to ground targets, you can take along a lot of rockets per hard point compared to a GBU. Even Mavericks give you more weapons. I never use GBU's or JDAM's. I don't even use the LANTIRN to acquire targets. For ground based targets I use the Cycle Padlock keys "\" and "z". Not only do they padlock your view to the target, they will also tell you what the target is up in the upper left hand corner of the screen. That's how I discovered long ago by cycling through the padlock that the wind sock was an important target for damaging airports. This method works great at night also, because you can acquire the targets and add them to your/wingman's shootlist without actually having to find them visually. If you are using the Mavericks you just padlock a target, shoot, then padlock the next one and shoot again. If you are using rockets then you have to go in closer and manually take them out as with the cannon. Some targets require two Mavericks for complete destruction or up to 4 rockets.

All things being equal, I would rather have 2 mavericks than one GBU, but sometimes you have to fly with the loadout you're given. Examples of this are the ADF/RSO missions (Raid Egypt comes to mind) where you have 4xGBU on your wings and your SEAD package is taken out before you get to the target. Even in TAW, sometimes you have to fly the loadout you're given, for the system will kick you back to the flight selection menu if you tweak with the mission parameters (though this is more than likely a bug with TAW). Bottom line, being able to bag a unitary target with a GBU is one more element of flexibility you have if you need it.

As far as JDAM goes, I generally prefer the maverick as well. The notable exception in this case is when attacking a building using a stealth loadout. Since often you need two maverick (or JDAM) hits to destroy a building, and you can only carry two of either in the bomb bay, you want to make sure both weapons hit the target. In addition to being able to engage targets from further out, the JDAM has a higher PK than the free-lasing maverick, so long as you release the JDAM within the proper weapons release envelope.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit. Remember, this is what we did that time we flew online, when all we had were GBUs and we had to take out the ZSU-23's.

I didn't realize that this technique was in the strategy guide (perhaps I should read up on it). I thought I had devised the technique (or at least I devised the technique, but I thought I was the first ;) ).

Ooooops! Sorry didn't mean to big note myself. :( Just didn't know it was there. However I always liked to nut things out, if I can, myself. All my questions are just part of that. I look for guidance, direction, not necessarily pat answers. It must be the ex-teacher in me: you give guidance in the learning process, not just spell things out. You can't spell out everything. You have to learn how to learn. That's one of the good things about University education as against the training of Tradesmen, and I've been a student and a teacher in both.

I've just put my study notes down as threads on this Forum, with all the risks associated with doing the same. What if I'm wrong ...... :( If I am, and I often am, others will put me straight and we will all gain knowledge by the experience. :thumbsup:

Better go and read that thread redirection (still haven't got my understanding of the slaved LANTIRN quite right)....... thanks HF. :)

Personally, I think that the GBU's are not worth taking along especially if you are going to target things like ground based aircraft, vehicles, etc. If you want inflict major damage to ground targets, you can take along a lot of rockets per hard point compared to a GBU.

However you've got to get close and you loose stealth ....... something I don't like doing ..... ;)

Even Mavericks give you more weapons.

Yes agree. And easier to deploy. And to maintain stealth (EMCON 1)

I never use GBU's or JDAM's.

Don't mind JDAM's if pre-programmed targets and to maintain stealth (EMCON 1)

I don't even use the LANTIRN to acquire targets. For ground based targets I use the Cycle Padlock keys "\" and "z". Not only do they padlock your view to the target, they will also tell you what the target is up in the upper left hand corner of the screen. That's how I discovered long ago by cycling through the padlock that the wind sock was an important target for damaging airports. This method works great at night also, because you can acquire the targets and add them to your/wingman's shootlist without actually having to find them visually. If you are using the Mavericks you just padlock a target, shoot, then padlock the next one and shoot again. If you are using rockets then you have to go in closer and manually take them out as with the cannon. Some targets require two Mavericks for complete destruction or up to 4 rockets.

Yes agree with all of that, except if its a building or a bridge the LANTIRN view in very useful and saves you having to go close to OBJECT Padlock (ie. eyeball your target and then hit F4 to padlock it). I'm a bit of a wimpy wombat ........... I don't like being seen or shot at ....... ;)

I've had a look at Engaging a Uitary Target with the GBU-24 (TAW Wiki) .

Very good. Beautifully presented. I was pleasantly surprised that my text explanation was just about right, but I have edited it to direct them to your Wiki page. Its so much better.

However there is one issue that I'm not sure you are right on: regarding changing from Slaved to Free mode for the GBU's. This bit here:

Quote: "This section is a "by the numbers" checklist of the steps necessary to duplicate the procedure illustrated above.

Attack MFD - Set to LANTIRN

LANTIRN Mode Select - SLAVED

LANTIRN Reset - Press ("LR" button)

HUD Mode Select - Air to Ground (AG)

Weapon Select - Cannon

Target List - Create

Desired Target - Select

LANTIRN Track - Select ("LT" button)

Lock Symbology (Square in Crosshairs) - Confirm

LANTIRN Mode Select - FREE

Weapon Select - GBU-24

GBU-24 Launch Parameters - Confirm "SHOOT" Cue

EMCON - Set 3 (or Higher)

Weapon - Release

I can find no mention of the need to change modes anywhere. I don't see the need to do so. In fact I think it better if you don't. Let me explain. If you know visually the location of the selected target you can continually adjust the "LT" box to compensate for its drift. This could be an Aircraft in a holding bay (the bay maintains its geographic coordinates); a Tank close to the corner of a building; a SAM Launcher at road crossing; etc.

I know you can do the same in FREE Mode but its just one less step to have to worry about.

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit the same. ;)

According to the strategy guide, there is no need to change modes (I just read the section in the strategy guide yesterday). In that case, you should be able to skip most of those steps, and just go by selecting the target with cannons and then switch directly to the GBU before pickling.

It's worth a try. It would also be interesting to see if the target triangle pops up if you keep LANTIRN in slaved while switching to GBU.

According to the strategy guide, there is no need to change modes (I just read the section in the strategy guide yesterday). In that case, you should be able to skip most of those steps, and just go by selecting the target with cannons and then switch directly to the GBU before pickling.

It's worth a try. It would also be interesting to see if the target triangle pops up if you keep LANTIRN in slaved while switching to GBU.

It does. But I think if you delay switching to GBU until the cannon targeted object is in GBU range it possible reduces the drift of the LANTIRN Target Box during bomb fall. A drift correction, although it can be made during bomb fall, you need those visual reference coordinates to make any worth while adjustments.