COMBATSIM Forum

TAW Setup

Hi, I'm new to TAW, but hopefull that I can get it going. I didn't see a topic for installation/setup so I'm putting this here; hope it's ok.

I downloaded 216a over the weekend and tried installing it. Not a successful outing. First there was a (seemingly) endless series of .col files not found in the .\colours directory. They were all available in other directories so I copied them in, but a different one was missing every time I started the program so it took a while.

After that I thought everything was ok, but at the end there was an error "clearing the front buffer" while starting a mission and the program exited. Can someone point me to a step by step walkthrough of how to get up and running? I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with ATI Radeon HD3870 X2. My monitor has a native resolution of 1600x1200. Sorry, but I'm clueless about Glide, 3DX and all the rest... I really need a cookbook.

All advice and pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi, I'm new to TAW, but hopefull that I can get it going. I didn't see a topic for installation/setup so I'm putting this here; hope it's ok.

I downloaded 216a over the weekend and tried installing it. Not a successful outing. First there was a (seemingly) endless series of .col files not found in the .\colours directory. They were all available in other directories so I copied them in, but a different one was missing every time I started the program so it took a while.

After that I thought everything was ok, but at the end there was an error "clearing the front buffer" while starting a mission and the program exited. Can someone point me to a step by step walkthrough of how to get up and running? I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with ATI Radeon HD3870 X2. My monitor has a native resolution of 1600x1200. Sorry, but I'm clueless about Glide, 3DX and all the rest... I really need a cookbook.

All advice and pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Sorry I can't as I have no understanding of Win7 and 64bit, being an XP user. But others here will.

However I prefer to call it TAW2.0 as TAW was the original boxed edition. That's me just being pedantic again, :lol: but it does help.

I assume you've downloaded 215, 216 and 216a? You may have to rename them as .exe or even rename them totally with their correct name. [i downloaded a beta upgrade the other day with at least 50 characters its name :blink: but it worked fine when renamed correctly].

Hi You have to DL and Install all 3 in order:

1. Downlad 215b and install

2. Download 216 and install

3. Download 216a and install

Hi, thanks. Yes, I followed those instructions, which is what led to my first post; nothing worked as expected after that. I believe the issue I had was because of my video card (ATI Radeon 3870 X2) but I'm not sure that's true and I don't know what to do about it if it is...

I have seen discussions of Glide and other technologies required for various configurations, but I don't know which to choose or how to proceed after choosing one of them.

I am looking for a cookbook to get me going on my hardware/software configuration.

Happy New Year!

Hi, thanks. Yes, I followed those instructions, which is what led to my first post; nothing worked as expected after that. I believe the issue I had was because of my video card (ATI Radeon 3870 X2) but I'm not sure that's true and I don't know what to do about it if it is...

I have seen discussions of Glide and other technologies required for various configurations, but I don't know which to choose or how to proceed after choosing one of them.

I am looking for a cookbook to get me going on my hardware/software configuration.

Happy New Year!

The Gooroo here is Home Fries. Be patient, he might be having a few days off. It'll be worth the wait. ;)

Edit: To help him give him a full list of you're hardware and relevant software (bit like what's in my signature). Also have a read through "known issues and bugs thread".

The Gooroo here is Home Fries. Be patient, he might be having a few days off. It'll be worth the wait. ;)

Edit: To help him give him a full list of you're hardware and relevant software (bit like what's in my signature). Also have a read through "known issues and bugs thread".

Thanks for the tip on configuration. Here's mine:

CPU: Intel X9770 3.2GHz Quad Core/8.0Gb RAM

Video: ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2/ViewSonic VP201mb (1200x1600 native)

Awaiting word from the GooRoo,

Bob

Apologies, gents, but my attention to all matters TAW will be severely limited at least through this coming week. That said, Bob's configuration looks to be fairly standard. With the Radeon, I recommend using Zeckensack's glide wrapper upscaled to 1600x1200. Instructions are in the TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum (PDF found with the download), and I also recommend checking the Known Issues sticky thread, which covers most of the common occurrences getting a win95 program to run with today's OS's.

Apologies, gents, but my attention to all matters TAW will be severely limited at least through this coming week. That said, Bob's configuration looks to be fairly standard. With the Radeon, I recommend using Zeckensack's glide wrapper upscaled to 1600x1200. Instructions are in the TAW 2.0 Manual Addendum (PDF found with the download), and I also recommend checking the Known Issues sticky thread, which covers most of the common occurrences getting a win95 program to run with today's OS's.

Thanks HF. :thumbsup: Hope all is well. I still have my double vision problem, but see my special man on the 10th.

OK Bob. suggest you do as the Master directs (sorry I've been "re-reading" with Talking Books "The Twin Towers") and have fallen into Samwise Gangee tongue. :lol:

You should now be able to be more specific about each as issue as they arise.