Mission Objectives: In which folder(s) are they stored

Wombat1940

When you recall the mission objectives by looking at the In-game Briefing; in which folder(s) are the precise words store.

I've checked the PDL's, Briefings folders, etc but its different. Any assistance appreciated.

When you recall the mission objectives by looking at the In-game Briefing; in which folder(s) are the precise words store.

I've checked the PDL's, Briefings folders, etc but its different. Any assistance appreciated.

Mission Objective text in a single player mission is culled from the PDL file.

Looking at rs31.pdl, the following text under "COMPLETION CONDITION":

IF STATIC_KILL 145 269 -32 -2 & STATIC_KILL 127 240 -32 -2 & STATIC_KILL 81 230 239 -191 & STATIC_KILL 22 214 -32 -2 & LAND_AT "Wadi Halfa" \

THEN DISPLAY CENTER 15 10 SUCCESS 1 \

Translates to:
MISSION OBJECTIVES EWR control building must be destroyed EWR control building must be destroyed Dome comms building must be destroyed EWR control building must be destroyed You must land at Wadi Halfa
The text
IF_NOT PLAYER_DEAD \

THEN DISPLAY CENTER 15 10 FAILED 1 \

is what gives you the mission objective "You must still be alive"

For multiplayer missions (which don't display the objectives on the map screen), I have input these objectives manually into the briefing text files, which is why most multiplayer missions have separate briefs from their single player counterparts.

Okay from what I get, the \pdl folder, the files will define the objectives for the mission.

a short outtake of al5.pdl

---

COMPLETION_CONDITION

IF_NOT PLAYER_DEAD THEN DISPLAY CENTER 15 10 FAILED 1 QUIT_MENU 1

IF FLIGHT_KILL 1 & FLIGHT_KILL 2 & FLIGHT_KILL 3 & FLIGHT_KILL 4 & FLIGHT_KILL 5 THEN DISPLAY CENTER 15 10 SUCCESS 1 QUIT_MENU 1

END_COMPLETION

---

'IF_NOT' translates to: What shouldn't happen, otherwise you fail automatically

'IF' is: normal if() condition

---

then, you will notice FLIGHT_KILL 1-5. The /mdl folder has the corresponding file, to define flights beyond just what type of plane it is (/check /udl for that).

The al5.mdl will have:

FLIGHT 0 WOLF F22 AIR_INTERCEPT (your flight)

FLIGHT 1 COCA MIRAGE AIR_INTERCEPT

FLIGHT 2 KHALAZ MIG21 AIR_INTERCEPT

FLIGHT 3 SITTA F16 AIR_INTERCEPT

FLIGHT 4 KHALAZ MIG29M AIR_INTERCEPT

FLIGHT 5 KWAYYIS SU27 AIR_INTERCEPT

Finally you need all this, because you have to edit the briefing data yourself. Find the /briefing folder for the txt files.

Hope that helps a bit!

..Ow I just saw you guys type fast ^^

IF STATIC_KILL 145 269 -32 -2 & STATIC_KILL 127 240 -32 -2 & STATIC_KILL 81 230 239 -191 & STATIC_KILL 22 214 -32 -2 & LAND_AT "Wadi Halfa" \

So its the code (eg. 145 269 -32 -2) that determines words used (eg Control Tower)?

For multiplayer missions (which don't display the objectives on the map screen),

map screen = In-game Briefing Map?

I have input these objectives manually into the briefing text files

Is that again in code or just spelled out (eg. 145 269 -32 -2 or "CONTROL TOWER")

So its the code (eg. 145 269 -32 -2) that determines words used (eg Control Tower)?

For static targets, these are in-game coordinates. The game looks at the coordinates in the PDL file and inserts the static object that exists there as the target. For moving targets (i.e. aircraft and vehicles), please see the example that Eagle_Flight submitted.

map screen = In-game Briefing Map?

yes

For static targets, these are in-game coordinates. The game looks at the coordinates in the PDL file and inserts the static object that exists there as the target.

Sorry I will check Eagle's example but can we add newly named static targets like "Gaddafi's Palace"? I think you may understand what I am trying to do now. ;) Maybe this can be done through TAWBC as you build the mission? I've yet to work with TAWBC. If I can't name things properly then, IMHO, it detracts from the mission's intrigue.

Okay from what I get, the \pdl folder, the files will define the objectives for the mission.

Finally you need all this, because you have to edit the briefing data yourself. Find the /briefing folder for the txt files.

Yes thanks. Have a look at my last response to HF on this thread and I think you will see what I am trying to do. I don't want "Gaddafi's Palace" called "Hardened Hanger". :lol:

Yes thanks. Have a look at my last response to HF on this thread and I think you will see what I am trying to do. I don't want "Gadaffi's Palace" called "Hardened Hanger". :lol:

To put it simply, the game doesn't know a building called 'Gadafis Palace'. But this doesn't stop us from picking a building that looks like a palace (from an already existing mission) and mentioning in the briefing, that it's actually Gadaffis Hideout, and not just a HQ Base or whatever you choose.

Basically, there is nothing stopping you from changing the briefing.txt to state something like: Palaces at waypoint 3, 4, 5 must be destroyed. The game will not know what you mean by this though, since the game doesn't check the briefing.txt to read out the objectives.

This is why you need to edit the PDL. Assigning for example: STATIC_KILL 145 269 -32 -2 will add the condition, whatever the building at those coordinates, it must be destroyed to complete the mission. I would suggest looking for a mission that already uses the coordinates of a building you would like to see get blown up. Then search for the mission abbreviation throughout your F22 folder. (Do a search in the /briefings folder for an exact piece of a description file you see in-game. This will help you identify the mission-file name.

Example: If I wanted to get the coordinates of the Air Base HQ from the JDAM training mission, I look at the mission briefing in-game: The title is called: 'JDAM Interdiction' - so do a search for files that contain those words.

!NOTE!: Be advised, that if the text from the description you are searching for has a mixed format (Example from IN-GAME: 'strike on the downtown Air Defense HQ' ) -> it is stored in the txt file as

strike on the downtown [u]Air Defense HQ[/u]

so you will not find it if you search for the string: 'strike on the downtown Air Defense HQ' because of the [ u] [ /u] tags.

AAaaanyways, back to topic: searching for 'JDAM Interdiction' (notice the entire string IN-GAME is in a uniform format, so you should be able to find it in the folder), It gives the file: SIM14B.txt

Alright! now lets look for other files called SIM14B but with different extensions: (the .pdl extension is what we need for coordinates)

in the /pdl folder: we open up SIM14B.pdl with a normal text editor, and look closely at the file. We see....

STATIC_KILL 350 324 -738 -382

This must be it! You can now use these coordinates to define the Air Base HQ to be destroyed. Of course, the game still calls it Air Base HQ, and we are probably limited by this, but in the /briefings folder, you can call it whatever you want!

To put it simply, the game doesn't know a building called 'Gadafis Palace'. But this doesn't stop us from picking a building that looks like a palace (from an already existing mission) and mentioning in the briefing, that it's actually Gadaffis Hideout, and not just a HQ Base or whatever you choose.

Basically, there is nothing stopping you from changing the briefing.txt to state something like: Palaces at waypoint 3, 4, 5 must be destroyed. The game will not know what you mean by this though, since the game doesn't check the briefing.txt to read out the objectives.

This is why you need to edit the PDL. Assigning for example: STATIC_KILL 145 269 -32 -2 will add the condition, whatever the building at those coordinates, it must be destroyed to complete the mission. I would suggest looking for a mission that already uses the coordinates of a building you would like to see get blown up. Then search for the mission abbreviation throughout your F22 folder. (Do a search in the /briefings folder for an exact piece of a description file you see in-game. This will help you identify the mission-file name.

Example: If I wanted to get the coordinates of the Air Base HQ from the JDAM training mission, I look at the mission briefing in-game: The title is called: 'JDAM Interdiction' - so do a search for files that contain those words.

!NOTE!: Be advised, that if the text from the description you are searching for has a mixed format (Example from IN-GAME: 'strike on the downtown Air Defense HQ' ) -> it is stored in the txt file as

strike on the downtown [u]Air Defense HQ[/u]

so you will not find it if you search for the string: 'strike on the downtown Air Defense HQ' because of the [ u] [ /u] tags.

AAaaanyways, back to topic: searching for 'JDAM Interdiction' (notice the entire string IN-GAME is in a uniform format, so you should be able to find it in the folder), It gives the file: SIM14B.txt

Alright! now lets look for other files called SIM14B but with different extensions: (the .pdl extension is what we need for coordinates)

in the /pdl folder: we open up SIM14B.pdl with a normal text editor, and look closely at the file. We see....

STATIC_KILL 350 324 -738 -382

This must be it! You can now use these coordinates to define the Air Base HQ to be destroyed. Of course, the game still calls it Air Base HQ, and we are probably limited by this, but in the /briefings folder, you can call it whatever you want!

Great response. 50 points to Griffindore!

TS3 now?

I guess Battie does have that Dumbledore look and persona going for him. Now if only Dumbledore rode bikes...

No ....... we'll leave that to Mad Eye .....

Eagle I've still to check out generic id for "DAM" for the TAWBC and in the PDL file, but I thought the following was interesting. It may mean more to you than me though:

Tacview1.jpg

Mission Objective text in a single player mission is culled from the PDL file.

Looking at rs31.pdl, the following text under "COMPLETION CONDITION":

Translates to: The text
IF_NOT PLAYER_DEAD \

THEN DISPLAY CENTER 15 10 FAILED 1 \

is what gives you the mission objective "You must still be alive"

For multiplayer missions (which don't display the objectives on the map screen), I have input these objectives manually into the briefing text files, which is why most multiplayer missions have separate briefs from their single player counterparts.

That's what I want.

It would be nice to have the code for a "STATIC_KILL" Ie, the Dam in my "Hawx Dam Strike Mission".

TAWBCdamstrike.jpg

My mission can't get a "SUCCESS" because I just yanked the mission around from a different TAWBC Wizard mission with the original target being a "Hard Hanger".

Edited by Hawkx

That's what I want.

It would be nice to have the code for a "STATIC_KILL" Ie, the Dam in my "Hawx Dam Strike Mission".

My mission can't get a "SUCCESS" because I just yanked the mission around from a different TAWBC Wizard mission with the original target being a "Hard Hanger".

Have a look at Coop Dam Busting Mission No. 26. The mct3.pdl and mct3m.pdl files. "STATIC_KILL 47 190 0 0" might have the right words.

Have a look at Coop Dam Busting Mission No. 26. The mct3.pdl and mct3m.pdl files. "STATIC_KILL 47 190 0 0" might have the right words.

Like this maybe?

ScreenShot006.jpg

"STATIC_KILL 47 190 0 0" Wrong dam.

My mission may need the right dam's coordinates?

1tawdambust.jpg

In the TAWBC map,, The mouse reads the coordinates.

I'll check it out.

"Hawx Dam Strike Mission".

Damcoordinates.jpg

Can someone help with the mct3.pdl and mct3m.pdl files. "STATIC_KILL'

Edited by Hawkx