How to install a second copy of TAW2.0?

Wombat1940

I posted similar elsewhere but I thought I'd try here at CombatSim as it relates to TAW2.0 rather than other Fsims:

I want to install a second copy of TAW2.0. I have my primary installation with its personal tweaks, add-ons, customization, etc. I don't want to fiddle with it by adding something without first testing.

I therefore wish to make an identical copy of my primary copy and not necessarily by doing a second installation. I want the copies totally independent of each other, not feeding/using each others files or registry entries.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PS. I suppose the safe thing would be to install on a different HDD or partition. However don't really want to do that .........

I therefore wish to make an identical copy of my primary copy and not necessarily by doing a second installation. I want the copies totally independent of each other, not feeding/using each others files or registry entries.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PS. I suppose the safe thing would be to install on a different HDD or partition. However don't really want to do that .........

If I remember correctly, TAW 2.0 doesn't write any registry entries. Basically you could duplicate an existing install to any other folder you want.

The players.lst will need a bit of modifying. Just change the folder path to reflect the folder you've just copied to.

Furthermore, in the game.cfg file: HELPPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\DID\TAW\PROGRAM\TAWhf22data\multipla.txt you would want to change this as well, just to be safe (..but it shouldn't matter. I don't even think this folder exists on my PC and everything is still fine.)

I believe that's it for TAW 2.0. It was made to be portable and not bound to a certain folder path (Otherwise Home Fries please correct me if I got this one wrong ^^)

P.S.

For original TAW and ADF installs you also have the "DeIsL1.isu" one folder above the main "PROGRAM" folder, which used to reference a folder path, as well as an install.log but these doesn't apply to our case.. ADF and TAW original also used registry entries..

If I remember correctly, TAW 2.0 doesn't write any registry entries. Basically you could duplicate an existing install to any other folder you want.

The players.lst will need a bit of modifying. Just change the folder path to reflect the folder you've just copied to.

Furthermore, in the game.cfg file: HELPPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\DID\TAW\PROGRAM\TAWhf22data\multipla.txt you would want to change this as well, just to be safe (but it shouldn't matter. I don't even think this folder exists on my PC and everything is still fine.)

I believe that's it for TAW 2.0. It was made to be portable and not bound to a certain folder path (Otherwise Home Fries please correct me if I got this one wrong ^^)

P.S.

For original TAW and ADF installs you also have the "DeIsL1.isu" one folder above the main "PROGRAM" folder, which used to reference a folder path, as well as an install.log but these doesn't apply to our case.. ADF and TAW original also used registry entries..

Thanks Eagle. No, it has no registry entry, so (after a discussion with Eugene on TS3) I just copied the DID folder to the Desktop and then re-named it DIDbetaand pasted it to the C:\ directory. Likewise I re-named the Launcher to tawmenubeta.exe. I installed a second GME but directed it to the C:\DiDbeta\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 Folder. I have devised a away to recognize which Launcher I'm in. Have now patched the DIDbeta version to 2.17beta and all is fine so far. Finally I made two new shortcuts for the desktop:tawmenubeta.exe and JSGMEbeta.exe. I have devised a away to recognize which Launcher I'm in.

Although if your running 2.17beta please check your NVG-Fix for V, Ctr + N and Ctr + M and see if it works. It didn't for me.

Thanks mate. Fingerscrossed for multiplay. ;)

Battie,

Eagle Flight is correct. You can just copy and paste the folder contents of a clean install and use that as your basis for modding. That's actually what I do with my development; I test it in a separate folder specifically set up for beta testing.

Once you copy the folder to a new location, you don't need to rename anything. Just add the shortcut for the launcher to the desktop and name the shortcut something original like "TAW 2.0 Launcher - mod variant". Incidentally, if you go to the "About" menu in the launcher, it will tell you what the active TAW folder is. So if you can't remember whether you're using your mod version or your release version, click on about and it will tell you. I put that little feature in for myself, but that's what it's there for.

Battie,

Eagle Flight is correct. You can just copy and paste the folder contents of a clean install and use that as your basis for modding. That's actually what I do with my development; I test it in a separate folder specifically set up for beta testing.

Once you copy the folder to a new location, you don't need to rename anything. Just add the shortcut for the launcher to the desktop and name the shortcut something original like "TAW 2.0 Launcher - mod variant". Incidentally, if you go to the "About" menu in the launcher, it will tell you what the active TAW folder is. So if you can't remember whether you're using your mod version or your release version, click on about and it will tell you. I put that little feature in for myself, but that's what it's there for.

Thanks for that. The only additional thing to do is set up a dedicated GME for the beta testing TAW2.0 installation to include the 2.17beta MODS.

Thanks for that. The only additional thing to do is set up a dedicated GME for the beta testing TAW2.0 installation to include the 2.17beta MODS.

I'm now back to a single installation of TAW2.0. Its got too hard to install a second copy for beta testing. OK, OK ....... I can here some saying "Told you so" and "Why did you bother?" Well ......... I just did. :P The problem is that some "addons" keep looking at the primary (the first) installation only unless you redirect them to do otherwise. These "addons" include TAWBC, GME and the final the one that tipped me other the edge? "Eagle Flight's Ammo/Fuel Cheat's" which I sometimes use when testing the virtues of new TAWBC missions.

However installing multiple copies TAW2.0 is a breeze when compared to Falcon4. :blink: But that's another story ...... ;)

For TAWBC and GME all you have to do is delete their respective ini files (we already did TAWBC) and you will get new ini files on first load.

Eagle Flight's programs only address the memory and don't affect the folder in use.

For TAWBC and GME all you have to do is delete their respective ini files (we already did TAWBC) and you will get new ini files on first load.

Eagle Flight's programs only address the memory and don't affect the folder in use.

Yes thanks for that. Just felt I had to come clean. Had so much help here and at SimHQ thought I should. However I learned leant (?) so many new things along the way. Not all to do with this thread but other things about TAW2.0 and simming in general. But that's what learning is all about: exploring, trying, questioning, reviewing, asking, testing, etc. It takes you many places and you met so many nice people. :)