COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heinkill

Cliffs of Dover, the story so far

Good grief! Unplayable on a computer with these specs?

Intel Core i7 920

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

6GB DDR3 1333

GeForce GTX470

WD Caviar 1TB SATA

CORSAIR CMPSU-650T

Samsung UN55C8000 55-Inch 1080p LCD/LED HD/3DTV

Win7 64 Ult.

There's no way it will run on my lowly Core2Quad. Honestly, any game or sim coded for 32-bit operation should run like a raped ape on a dual core CPU, 2GB RAM and a moderate graphics card... unless it has been poorly coded. :huh:

Oh, I see, the "epilepsy filter" may be to blame. Yes, if a sim runs at only one frame per second it is guaranteed to not induce seizures. I would think that a warning printed on the box or in the online description before downloading would have been sufficient legal coverage, but a frame rate filter will do the trick and make it useless for everyone. <_<

I watched the user-made video you posted. Lags and pauses worse than MicroSoft FSX on a dual core system. The sounds are very Il-2 Sturmovik-like. The official game trailer videos looked great, but the user videos look horrible. The cockpit looked nicely detailed, but otherwise, what does this bring to the table that a nicely modded version of Il-2: 1946 cannot? :unsure:

Good going Oleg, 1C and UbiSoft. More crapware foisted on an unsuspecting public, at least that's what it looks like to me. <_<

Thanks for the heads up, Heinkill, I'll save my rubles for something better. :thumbsup:

I also understand that you MUST use "Steam" to play online. Is this true ?

Now I know why they changed the name from Storm of War (SOW) because it runs like a pig.

Still, I hope they get the framerate issue solved. First step would be to allow users to completely disable the epilepsy filter. ArmA2 has a similar filter and if it's on, the game is unplayable. Turning it off solves most graphics-related slowdowns and the game runs fine.

Now I know why they changed the name from Storm of War (SOW) because it runs like a pig.

Still, I hope they get the framerate issue solved. First step would be to allow users to completely disable the epilepsy filter. ArmA2 has a similar filter and if it's on, the game is unplayable. Turning it off solves most graphics-related slowdowns and the game runs fine.

Does ArmA2 from Steam have it too, Doug? If so, where is it? I haven't seen it.

Whiz,

It's not called an epilepsy filter in ArmA2, it's the motion blur that does the same thing. Turn off motion blur and your game will run better. :thumbsup:

Whiz,

It's not called an epilepsy filter in ArmA2, it's the motion blur that does the same thing. Turn off motion blur and your game will run better. :thumbsup:

Right. Now all I have to do is find the setting for Motion Blur! Looked in Video and Game settings, but no go. I'll bite. Where is it? Mines a Steam ArmA2.

Right. Now all I have to do is find the setting for Motion Blur! Looked in Video and Game settings, but no go. I'll bite. Where is it? Mines a Steam ArmA2.

Check this out...

Cliffs of Dover flight model in action...it's enough to make an old man weep

It's the Oleg lawnmower engine! That gives planes magical powers. :rofl:

Geez, in that video it sounds the same as plain vanilla Il-2.

I suppose it's possible if he keeps his airspeed up. ;)

There's a video somewhere of an Israeli F15 landing with one wing missing, so these things can happen.....

Anyway, a gorgeous looking sim.

Whether I buy it or not depends on whether I need to be constantly online to play it. I skipped SH5 for this reason after being badly stung with Rise of Flight.

All the programming and testing seems to have gone into making the water look awesome, not the flight model testing. :(

With luck, these problems will get addressed. If not by 1C, then by the mod community ... that is, if they crack this code, too. <_<

The Il-2 code was un-crackable. Given enough purchasers and sufficient time, the code is likely to be cracked unless Oleg gives the mod community the tools to make mods to Cliffs of Dover.

I hope the game play issues will be addressed quickly and that tools for making maps, aircraft, objects, and sounds will be available. Until then, If I feel the need to blow up stuff, there's always my modded install of Il-2. By the way, the 1956 Jet Era mod is finally available. Supposed to be good for those who want a better Korean War sim and early Vietnam war sim. Who knows, this might expand into a full Vietnam War sim, but avionics and advanced guided weapons systems still need to be developed.

Well, Stag always told me the Hurri was a good bird, but I just didn't believe him.

More crap-ware from GOATIFS? And just what the hell did yall expect? Something that actually worked? Please, how many times has he had to get this right and besides the original, how many times has he FAILED?

I was hoping for something much better than IL-2 "part deux"...I guess I will be saving my money for now.

I guess this won't endear me to the 'kewl' kid types over on the 1C forums who seem to want this game to fail but my pre-order is still in place. IL-2 has given me a lot of enjoyment for the price I paid many years ago so I'm willing to take a chance on this. Compared to a night out, a cinema ticket then IL-2 has been a bargain so far. Even the big budget games recently have been dissapointing. Crysis 2's multiplayer is a pain in the ass. ARMA and ARMA 2 were both horribly buggy when they were released but a few patches later and they are much more playable and enjoyable so I'll cut 1C some slack for now.

True enough Revvin....I just stopped playing the game about a year ago and can't get back into it. I agree that it gave me way more than the $30 or $40 I paid for it years ago.....but I guess I had some unrealistic expectations.

Thanks for the update, Heinkill.

That map, though ... too small, too darn small. Arguably enough room for the major action of the BoB, but still too restrictive for mission-builders.

How long has this game been in development? As long as WWII actually lasted, if memory serves. Give me that much time and I'd at least have covered Britain north to Scapa Flow, and France, Denmark, and the Benelux all the way east to the Rhine.

Can't see much reason to buy this when we have such a fine modded version IL2, not unless Cliffs of Dover's offline campaign is very, very good. And I'm talking EAW good.

Don't get me wrong, I want this latest version of IL-2 to succeed. I will be buying it, but for now, I'm not in any hurry given the utter fail state it is in now.

Revvin' is absolutely correct that ArmA2 was a horrible when it released, but over time, it has become my most favouritest sims.

Which begs the question, should I buy CoD now to "support the cause"? No, I won't, because 1C never supported the loyal fans. This iteration is going to have to succeed without my support for the time being.

I read down thorugh a few articles and guys are saying that they are getting 20-40fps and are happy with that ??? And another place says that as long as you have a high end system and don't fly over land the sime is good ??

oh my :(

Always look on the bright side...right?

I think the Dudester has the right approach - wait until it has been patched to playability, rather than dive in now and then whine about it for six months! Or skip the whole Battle of Britain release, and jump in when you can get version 2.09m together with the new Korean theatre! In 2012.

The issue of FPS being reduced by the epilepsy filter has been resolved. A patch has been prepared to be released on the 30th (the day before the European release) according to the official forum that now sets it as an option but by default it is on. There will be a warning when you disable it but it can be switched off.

Nope, still aint gonna give Russian bastard another dime.