Saturday

Stans

+1C and sunny. Snow gradually retreating. Go VCU! (whatever that is....)

Virginia Commonwealth University. This team wasn't even supposed to make it to the playoffs, much less the last eight teams standing. Too bad the University of Richmond was defeated last night, they supposedly were not good enough either and it was the first time that both colleges were in the playoffs at the same time. Both VCU and UR are located in Richmond, Virginia.

212px-VCU_Rams.svg.png

Thanks! although you didn't specify which sport, but I assume it's US Football.

Always surprised how big college sport is in the US, but maybe the colleges are the only feeder to the professional game?

In the case of Football, I'm familiar with the NFL franchises, and a draft system where they pick the best college players, but can the NFL teams get players from anywhere else apart from trading with each other?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I live >3000 miles from the US.

Nope, it's basketball.

Colleges generally are the career path for professional sports. Although a few do come directly from high school, the NFL still requires prospective players to have three years of experience after graduating from high school. For most, that means going to college where NFL talent scouts get to see you play.

D'oh!

...although 'VCU Rams' sounds more like a Football team. Would have thought 'VCU Giraffes' or something might be more appropriate to Basketball.

Anyway, I'll stick to the Sri Lanka v England game in the Cricket World Cup. Half way through and no clear favourite.....

Oh, VCU does not have a football team. Never has, might never have, although many people would like to see one. They do have a baseball team, but it is basketball for which VCU is known in the world of college sports.

Virginia Commonwealth University ? I didn't know that Virginia was still part of the Commonwealth ??? I thought you guys revolted back in the 1780s ;)

Yeah, and they've been revolting ever since! (Sorry, Stans, couldn't resist that one! )

Ha, bloody, ha, Whiz. <_<

Yeah, Arch, Virginia (along with Kentuky, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania) formed as a commonwealth after the American Revolutionary War. Virginia has become such a nanny state with a bloated, tax rich government that it is better referred to as the Communistwealth of Virginia. :(

The other way to look at it is that VCU is undefeated in football. :P

Old Dominion University started a football team just a few years ago. I keep hoping VCU will do the same. One problem, VCU does not currently own any property suitable for a football stadium.

Afternoon,

Cold............damn Cold, and windy to boot, which makes it colder.

Screw Football!!!!!!

Screw Basketball!!!!!

Now golf that's THE game. It's just you with the clubs, a ball (actually several, especially if there is water with range), the grass (with different degrees of depth and thickness in which you are more likely to encounter the less mowed than the clean cut type), the sand (as in bunkers that will always seem to contain several rocks within easy striking range of where your ball came to rest) and a hole in the ground into which you are to place said ball using said clubs whilst playing under a set of rules complex enough to make government lawyer green with envy.

Golf is the only Professional Sport where if you do not place in the money, you do not get paid. (Of course that does not count the tons of loot that various corporate interests will throw your way should be even mildly successful.)

Mane, who hopes that someday the ground will thaw out enough so that he can try out his new wedge set without fear of shattering the club head.

Golf? Golf is considered a sport?

People don't know that Needlepoint and Crocheting are a sport. My mom was to represent the USA in the winter games of 1940 and 1944, but they were canceled because of World War II, due to the extreme needle and yarn shortages.