Sudan invades Egypt.

Hawkx

Egypt attacks Saudi for no apparent provocation.

We need to teach Egypt not to attack it's neighbors.

The 1st in this series,

Saudi strikes back Combat

This is the 2nd in this series; Sudan's raid on Egypt.

"V4 Attack Egypt"

My hope is to have Eagle make the Aswan High Dam a target.

That will be a lesson Egypt will not soon forget.

The Aswan High Dam captures the world's longest river, the Nile River.

The Aswan Dam Benefits Egypt by controlling the annual floods on the Nile River and prevents the damage which used to occur along the floodplain. The Aswan High Dam provides about a half of Egypt's power supply and has improved navigation along the river by keeping the water flow consistent.

Then we can fly deeper rades into Eygpt.

V4 Attack Egypt.

It's an early morning raid.

We fly out of "Dunqulah dispersal" Sudan.

The closest base to Egypt.

We attack Wadi Halfa airbase.

Lots of action for a short MP Co-op mission

v4egyptobjectives.jpg

I put it on Box.Net

Need testers

Edited by Hawkx

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

V4 is fun & full of action.

It even has a Texaco11 for refueling.

The hardest to find is the SA11. It's hiding just off WP2

v4-complete-1.gif

Can I get anyone to help test?

We need to teach Egypt not to attack it's neighbors.

This second raid on Egypt

V4 Attack Egypt.

It's an early morning raid. We fly out of Sudan. The closest base to Egypt.

Lots of action for a short MP Co-op mission

I put it on Box.Net

Need testers

http://www.box.net/shared/ia9fdxkzo9

Do we just fly it in single play? Is that what you wish?

Do we just fly it in single play? Is that what you wish?

It's what you wish?

blond-1.gif

I load it in MP & test it with my cat.

catfunny.gif

OK, its done. Took out the Control Tower on first pass, and the then clean up the A - A. Wingmen fired all their Mavs but then lost interest with their dumb bombs. Wouldn't even fly formation until went to WP 4. Found the SA-11 but the SA-6 not found although there are there on F12. Its a bit tame maybe (?), but maybe better things to come. ;)

Like that trick with time accel (<SFT> <T>) to get the AI wingmen moving. Did it briefly on the taxi way to get the moving ....

Its a bit tame,,, maybe for you Brg. General 'Wombat1940' :angry: (No cheats ?)

Meant no offense .... just so different to "DAM STRIKE". Didn't need the "cheats" to test it.

Control your wingman, especially on IP.

I think I need lessons on how to control them. They're almost free agents with me as Lead. :(

The Mavs are for your wingman.

They take out the Control Tower.

Don't distract them.

Are the targets designate to the AI wingman prior to take-off?

I took the Tower out, thinking it would be the Leads role .... :unsure:

The dumb bombs were used to take out the runway.

Roger

Let your wingman go IP, You run in on the G2A threats.

Roger

Then, chase "T" enemy aircraft. Some are running away,, use "E5" to drag them back.

roger

Call your wingman for help, you go for other "T" searches.

They wouldn't leave the target area, when I requested formation.

Did you use the tanker? Chasing "T" aircraft targets can use up allot of fuel.

Remember,, you can run them low on fuel also.

No. Fuel didn't seem a problem, but that was poor testing by me. Should have refueled us all. Will fly and test again.

Suggest a load out, must have a few Mavs.

I love Mavs for A-G. They are so versatile.

My load out, but its not stealthy.

2 x Heaters

4 x C's

2 x R's

either 12 x Mavs

or 6 x Mavs plus 6 Rockets

I need to work on placing a few enemy scramble flights that can see you coming.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Show me a screen shot with all green checks with "Mission "Success".

Roger, please stand by .....

Remember this is a work in progress.

Keep up the good work. This is good fun. :thumbsup:

Remember we don't need everybody as single play Multiplay testers. Lets save the ultimate test to Wednesday night's without the AI wingman. Let a non single play tester be the Lead and see how they go "cold". You could steer things if they start to go badly wrong. Just my thoughts. ;)

Ok Wombat,, I designed a mission with your fav loadout.

Same as the v4 but with rocket pods. :icon_salute3:

I call it v4a :thumbsup:

It's on Box.Net if you want to test it wed 4/13/11 night.

http://www.box.net/shared/tmii1nrti0

Will d/l and try. Had a go with the refuel. No problems for me but had "lost" my wingman somewhere on egress :unsure: so unsure if they will refuel. Only other problem is the tanker flies away from my return WPs, which means homebase is a closer for refueling. Will try again with v4a.

As for Wed 13/4/11 I'm away. See here:

Will d/l and try. Had a go with the refuel. No problems for me but had "lost" my wingman somewhere on egress :unsure: so unsure if they will refuel. Only other problem is the tanker flies away from my return WPs, which means homebase is a closer for refueling. Will try again with v4a.

As for Wed 13/4/11 I'm away. See here:

Good go battie :thumbsup:

The tanker refuel is just for practice.

When you dissco, set auto pilot for home base.

Don't call your wingman to formation.

You can watch them refueling using "SHT + F5"

Too bad your going to miss 4/13/11 :(

crygirl.jpg

bluebird.jpg

Edited by Hawkx

Good go battie :thumbsup:

The tanker refuel is just for practice.

When you dissco, set auto pilot for home base.

Don't call your wingman to formation.

You can watch them refueling using "SHT + F5"

Too bad your going to miss 4/13/11 :(

Please stand by .....

The tanker didn't take off. :( Maybe because I didn't wait for Tower permission to enter runway and take-off. :( He just sat there, although the E3 got aloft.

Each wingman seems to have designated target. Although the Lead appears to be unaware of what they are. This seems an anomaly since each part of the package should be aware of each others roles (targets).

I made a mess of the target area, particularly having a bunch of rockets. :thumbsup:

Although this nearly backfired as upon requesting "Vector for recovery" (low on fuel and no tanker) I was directed to the targeted airfield. :unsure: Landed safely but no refuel and rearm. Not sure what the wingies did ...... <Shf> <Q> <E> a bit too quick.

Small thing. You need to rename the mission version to v4a on the mission selection menu. Its listed as v4

UPDATE: Just chased the Tianshui 17 enemy group. They're doing 830Knots! I had no hope ..... :(

Please stand by .....

The tanker didn't take off. :( Maybe because I didn't wait for Tower permission to enter runway and take-off. :( He just sat there, although the E3 got aloft.

Each wingman seems to have designated target. Although the Lead appears to be unaware of what they are. This seems an anomaly since each part of the package should be aware of each others roles (targets).

I made a mess of the target area, particularly having a bunch of rockets. :thumbsup:

Although this nearly backfired as upon requesting "Vector for recovery" (low on fuel and no tanker) I was directed to the targeted airfield. :unsure: Landed safely but no refuel and rearm. Not sure what the wingies did ...... <Shf> <Q> <E> a bit too quick.

Small thing. You need to rename the mission version to v4a on the mission selection menu. Its listed as v4

UPDATE: Just chased the Tianshui 17 enemy group. They're doing 830Knots! I had no hope ..... :(

As a beta tester, you need to run the mission as a lead pilot.

Use E2, ask for your time to launch.

Use AP set for "Takeoff". Hit A & sit back.

Taking short cuts will not get the hoped for results.

IMHO, I love to see the E3, AWACS & Texeco11, take off.

The E3 launches 1st. You can hear the tower give the OK in the back ground.

OK to watch on F12

OK to use "SHT T" to speed things along.

You say;"Each wingman seems to have designated targets."

"Although the Lead appears to be unaware of what they are."

You are the lead, right?

You need to be aware of what you are tasking your wigman to carry out.

#2 will run in & take out the Control Tower. #3&4 have assignments also.

You will find "T" aircraft still parked,, that's your job with rockets or cannon.

You say; "Upon requesting "Vector for recovery" (low on fuel and no tanker)

I was directed to the targeted airfield. Landed safely but no refuel and rearm."

Well,,You made a mess of the target area, particularly having a bunch of rockets.

Come on General.

You may be directed to an enemy airbase,, Did you really think you would get fuel after what you guys did to their base?

"You chased the Tianshui 17 enemy group. They're doing 830Knots! I had no hope"

Did you go to E5?

That will drag most of the "T" aircraft back so you can task your wingman to the chase.

That may run'em low on fuel. IE,, The tanker!

Ooops,

You need to rename the mission version to v4a. No biggie,, I will show you how.

more to follow by edit.

Edited by Hawkx

You say;"Each wingman seems to have designated targets."

"Although the Lead appears to be unaware of what they are."

You are the lead, right?

You need to be aware of what you are tasking your wigman to carry out.

With due respect, I didn't task them to do anything. :unsure: As a consequence I assumed the Control Tower was mine (the Lead). In fact I would like to re-direct my number two to other things. Is that possible? That is the AI number 2? Remember I'm talking about a single player, multiplay beta testing mission. No problems with directing "real" wingman but AI?

You say; "Upon requesting "Vector for recovery" (low on fuel and no tanker)

I was directed to the targeted airfield. Landed safely but no refuel and rearm."

Well,,You made a mess of the target area, particularly having a bunch of rockets.

You may be directed to an enemy airbase,, Did you really think you would get fuel after what you guys did to their base?

No, I expected that. I should have waited until the ground based units took full control of the base, Coke machine and all. ;)

"You chased the Tianshui 17 enemy group. They're doing 830Knots! I had no hope"

Did you go to E5?

That will drag most of the "T" aircraft back so you can task your wingman to the chase.

That may run'em low on fuel. IE,, The tanker!

Ye ....... I went to E5 but maybe too far gone by then. However Mig29 doing 830 knots ..... :P

You need to rename the mission version to v4a. No biggie,, I will show you how.

more to follow by edit.

Its OK I know how. Just though it should show up on mission menu after d/l and install for everybody.

I suppose the only real way to beta test these multiplay TAWBC missions is in multiplay: 4 real pilots as the mission is intended.

Maybe you did that last night at our regular fly-in?

I suppose the only real way to beta test these multiplay TAWBC missions is in multiplay: 4 real pilots as the mission is intended.

Maybe you did that last night at our regular fly-in?

Nah, single player tests help out alot - and also reduce many issues with ghost units and stuff like that..

But we did actually fly this mission yesterday and it was pretty neat! There might still be some tweaking potential though.. I'm working on a version that includes some more targets around Aswan, it will get posted here as soon as it's ready.

BTW: checking wikipedia shows the Mig29 Performance:

Maximum speed: Mach 2.25 (2,400 km/h, 1,490 mph) -> 1490 mph = 1 294.7746 knots

At low altitude: Mach 1.25 (1,500 km/h, 930 mph) -> 930 mph = 808.147905 knots

So while I was also trying to chase down those notorious Mig29s, we might need to find an alternate solution to just burning away all the fuel on AB.

Suggestion 1: Set up an attack wave to sweep over the border and to not allow any scared enemies to get away ^^

Suggestion 2: We 'borrow' some of their Mig29's and have them chase down those bandits.. I guess we would have to try to accomplish a base take-over to gain access to the hardware.. Might be a bit more trickier to pull off, but hey, we would be recycling assets and not expending our own forces...

Suggestion 3: We acquire - by whatever means we deem necessary - an ally with access to Mig29s

Suggestion 4: We go for our favorite: the F22, but with a slick and aerodynamic stealth loadout. This will give us a speed advantage, but will it be enough to catch up??

Suggestion 5: We invade from two sides at once and set up intercepting SAM sites and let the Migs run right into a trap

Also a combination of any of these suggestions might be necessary to deal with any surprises that may turn up...

This concludes the presentation! Thank you!

*walks out*

later in the corridor:

*chatter & whispers*:

Army guy 1: "I say we do the standard C4 strike first, and then knock em out cold! Catch them by surprise, they'll never know what hit them, not for a good couple of years!"

Army guy 2: "But the boss said we mustn't endanger the lives of our troops and secret agents, this plan could prove deadly for our guys trying to infiltrate the ......... HEY!!! What are YOU looking at?!"

Eagle: "Ow who me? I dunno.. nuthin'..?"

Army guys: "..Yeah that's right, beat it!" - "Puny little strategist, thinks he knows war.."

Bottom line: if you have to bag air targets, it's more fun to have them trying to bag you, as opposed to running away. My proposal is that the MiG-31s be increased to a flight of 4 and sent on a reciprocal intercept course against us. The MiG-29s, being short range air superiority fighters, should be maintaining CAP over the target.

This way we get the challenge of A2A combat, which is much more enjoyable than the challenge of fuel management after a long chase.

Thanks for all comments. Feel free to mod the v4a anyway that makes it more fun.

Flying it on SP is the most fun. TAW:BC can be yanked around, so give it a go.

TAW:BC is easy to zoom in on the WP's of the problem "T" targets.

I'm going to corect a few myself.

Look for my v4b version.

Hawkx

Edited by Hawkx

Nah, single player tests help out alot - and also reduce many issues with ghost units and stuff like that..

But we did actually fly this mission yesterday and it was pretty neat! There might still be some tweaking potential though.. I'm working on a version that includes some more targets around Aswan, it will get posted here as soon as it's ready.

BTW: checking wikipedia shows the Mig29 Performance:

Maximum speed: Mach 2.25 (2,400 km/h, 1,490 mph) -> 1490 mph = 1 294.7746 knots

At low altitude: Mach 1.25 (1,500 km/h, 930 mph) -> 930 mph = 808.147905 knots

And I thought it was a sim error ..... :o

So while I was also trying to chase down those notorious Mig29s, we might need to find an alternate solution to just burning away all the fuel on AB.

Suggestion 1: Set up an attack wave to sweep over the border and to not allow any scared enemies to get away ^^

Suggestion 2: We 'borrow' some of their Mig29's and have them chase down those bandits.. I guess we would have to try to accomplish a base take-over to gain access to the hardware.. Might be a bit more trickier to pull off, but hey, we would be recycling assets and not expending our own forces...

Suggestion 3: We acquire - by whatever means we deem necessary - an ally with access to Mig29s

Suggestion 4: We go for our favorite: the F22, but with a slick and aerodynamic stealth loadout. This will give us a speed advantage, but will it be enough to catch up??

Suggestion 5: We invade from two sides at once and set up intercepting SAM sites and let the Migs run right into a trap

Also a combination of any of these suggestions might be necessary to deal with any surprises that may turn up...

Like HF, I prefer to be chased or intercepting rather than chasing with full AB. However I note there is a small window of opportunity to intercept those Mig29's. I just neglected to use it as I didn't check on how quick they were running away.

Like HF, I prefer to be chased or intercepting rather than chasing with full AB. However I note there is a small window of opportunity to intercept those Mig29's. I just neglected to use it as I didn't check on how quick they were running away.

I agree. This can be corrected. TAW:BC can do it easy.

Show me your mod, I'll be coming up with my v4b version soon.

V4a is fun on SP,

The probs develop in MP when the lead is not directed to line up soon enough.

+ it's so dark in the morning you can't see the E3 lining up for launch before we launch.

TAW's AI not always the same in MP. If we launch too soon the other wingman don't always follow.

One advantage is you can catch two "T" aircraft still on the ground.

The prob with the run aways can be fixed by changing their WPs.

I agree. This can be corrected. TAW:BC can do it easy.

Show me your mod, I'll be coming up with my v4b version soon.

V4a is fun on SP,

The probs develop in MP when the lead is not directed to line up soon enough.

+ it's so dark in the morning you can't see the E3 lining up for launch before we launch.

TAW's AI not always the same in MP. If we launch too soon the other wingman don't always follow.

One advantage is you can catch two "T" aircraft still on the ground.

The prob with the run aways can be fixed by changing their WPs.

This might sound strange, but I think its OK as it is. The Lead has some decisions to make. Will he re-direct his AI wingmen to engage the (T) MIG29's before targeting the (T) ground target? Or will he take out the (T) ground target first (as I did) and then chase the (T) air targets. You do say somewhere they are fleeing (that's the hint). Anyway the "General" can't always have his way. Sometimes he has to chase. What does he he expect: they're are going to wait for him? :lol:

This might sound strange, but I think its OK as it is. The Lead has some decisions to make. Will he re-direct his AI wingmen to engage the (T) MIG29's before targeting the (T) ground target? Or will he take out the (T) ground target first (as I did) and then chase the (T) air targets. You do say somewhere they are fleeing (that's the hint). Anyway the "General" can't always have his way. Sometimes he has to chase. What does he he expect: they're are going to wait for him? :lol:

ITS MOVED!! :o :o :o The target location ..... report back later ....... busy disciplining the wingies at the moment ....

ScreenShot002-6.jpg

ITS MOVED!! The target location ..... report back later ....... busy disciplining the wingies at the moment ....

If you take out the SA11 1st,, strange things happen. The IP will maybe/can/does move/change. I hate that.

The objective don't change. You need to add the IP WP back with the WP editor.

You did good, but it's not the wingman's fault. TAW is just frustrating that way.

You can play with v4 all you want.

I'm working on v5. A daylight raid.

Stand by one. :popcornsmilie:

Edited by Hawkx

If you take out the SA11 1st,, strange things happen. The IP will maybe/can/does move/change. I hate that.

The objective don't change. You need to add the IP WP back with the WP editor.

You did good, but it's not the wingman's fault. TAW is just frustrating that way.

You can play with v4 all you want.

I'm working on v5. A daylight raid.

Stand by one. :popcornsmilie:

Thanks for that. I (we) will complete the mission and go for a refuel. AI wingies have been really good, particularly that tip about selecting TRB Way Point briefly. They all of a sudden start taking orders again. I'm going to try padlocking the Control Tower and adding it to their shoot list. They seem to think knocking out the SAM11 is all they need to do in terms of ground target, although there Air to Air work was exemplary.

Wombat,, OK to fly v4a, but I think you will have more fun with Attack Egypt v4b :popcornsmilie:

New revised v4a to v4b. Revised WPs for "T" targets.

Moved Start time to 6:45. Better visibility. :thumbsup:

Ready for testing on Box.Net

Click here---> http://www.box.net/shared/vqyiahtpcr :popcornsmilie:

Wombat,, OK to fly v4a, but I think you will have more fun with Attack Egypt v4b :popcornsmilie:

New revised v4a to v4b. Revised WPs for "T" targets.

Moved Start time to 6:45. Better visibility. :thumbsup:

Ready for testing on Box.Net

Click here---> http://www.box.net/shared/vqyiahtpcr :popcornsmilie:

Ye ....thanks ..... I'll move to 4b

You are experiencing the trials & tribulations of a few problems with TAW

It's like a box of chocolates,,, you never know what you are going to get,, fuel or rejection. :angry:

I put an AWACS in the exercise,, he/she will not even answer me?? :angry:

It's only a way to analyze what TAW will give us.

Sure RTB is the best bet for fuel + weapon re-supply :thumbsup:

But it's fun to in-air refuel. :)

WOW ! Brig. General Wombat1940,,, look at all those green checks :thumbsup:

You got no fuel, so just kill the tanker.

One solution. :blink:

Lt. Colonel Hawkx (with tiger blood), is hunting for a better solution. :icon_salute3:

I'm working on V5 more, bandits, G2A & a good reason to RTB.

Egypt is attacking our base now.

Heads up Battie. V6 is going to begin deeper strikes into Egypt.

Eagle is working on making the biggest dam in Egypt a target.

The Aswan High Dam.

Go Eagle. :thumbsup:

Edited by Hawkx

You are experiencing the trials & tribulations of a few problems with TAW

It's like a box of chocolates,,, you never know what you are going to get,, fuel or rejection. :angry:

I put an AWACS in the exercise,, he/she will not even answer me?? :angry:

It's only a way to analyze what TAW will give us.

Sure RTB is the best bet for fuel + weapon re-supply :thumbsup:

But it's fun to in-air refuel. :)

WOW ! Brig. General Wombat1940,,, look at all those green checks :thumbsup:

You got no fuel, so just kill the tanker.

One solution. :blink:

Lt. Colonel Hawkx (with tiger blood), is hunting for a better solution. :icon_salute3:

I'm working on V5 more, bandits, G2A & a good reason to RTB.

Egypt is attacking our base now.

Heads up Battie. V6 is going to begin deeper strikes into Egypt.

Eagle is working on making the biggest dam in Egypt a target.

The Aswan High Dam.

Go Eagle. :thumbsup:

Yes I am working on that!

For now I have downloaded your version 4b and have had great fun with it! I had to tweak it just a bit though: I moved the E8, the E3 and the Tanker to 'Merowe Airfield' (a bit further SE) for Takeoff in order to seperate the front-line fighter missions from the support flights.

The test run was made flying solo in a multiplayer server.

I had great success with the mentioned tweak! My wingmen lined up correctly and I got the 'Ready for Departure' at 6:50:46

PIC 1: Taxi

4b1taxi.png

PIC 2: Ready for Departure!

4b2readyfordeparture.png

I didn't check smart view for the support flights though.

After takeoff it was a smooth flight..... up until first hostile showed up on the radar! I realized that SA-6 was kind of shielded off by the mountains when approaching from the SW (if I remember correctly) Anyways I really like the positioning on that one, and I believe we definitely should see some SHILKAS scattered around - they would prove very fun to deal with! You would have to watch out that you don't suddenly find yourself in the crosshairs of a SHILKA that gains sight of you once you pass the next mountain ridge. It would be suspenseful and to stay alive you'd have to stay alert!

Loads of fun! ^^

OKAY, continuing up to IP, I noticed that my wingmen will take out the control tower and other structures that aren't included in the objectives.. (These were a windsock and a warehouse)

check it out:

LEAD ATTACK_STATIC 38 261 -150 150 = Control Tower

TWO ATTACK_STATIC 38 261 -150 150 = Control Tower

THREE ATTACK_STATIC 38 261 212 -85 = Warehouse

FOUR ATTACK_STATIC 38 261 -165 425 = Wind sock

LEAD and TWO have the control tower as a target. I might eventually change the LEAD target to the DAM, and leave the TWO, THREE, and FOUR targets as they are now. This way the 'enemy' will be distracted by the attack on the airfield...? Maybe?

Anyways I've also tweaked the mission objectives to reflect the already designated targets around the airbase.

Back to the mission: So after a first pass of the airfield, there were bandits all over the skies! Cool! A huge battle going on, and me and my wingmen managed to take out all targets and survive without any losses!

Even though I still had some MAV's left, I decided to head back towards friendly territory.. Suddenly I noticed the three support flights hanging around...!

I decided to go for a manual refuel attempt......... and succeded! B) The trick is - like it was mentioned before elsewhere - just get close enough to the tanker, and keep checking the Tanker communication frequency. Once the option 2 is available, request clearance. Affirm weapons and nose cold and you're all set to try the maneuver.. ^^

Wingmen two, three and four also refueled afterwards and we headed towards home base.. (I noticed the wingmen will follow you in a very close train-like formation after refueling... "Go Fingertips on the RIGHT!" "Two!" "Three!" "Four!" - Nice..

Alrighty inbound for landing... Turning in on finals.... Wow those ILS markers look really messed up, hope my wingmen don't crash!! I mean they're smart enough to out fly missiles with tracking tech, surely they can fly over terrain....?!?!

PIC 3: Finals!

4b3finals.png

...Surely enough, they can't........ I was the only one to bring back myself and my F22 in one piece...

PIC 4: Noooo, not you too!!!

4b4nonotyoutoo.png

PIC 5: A VERY expensive pile of rubble

4b5averyexpensivepileof.png

Anyways, here is an ACMI recording of the flight, about 27 mins in total, parts are in SHIFT + T

ACMI:

http://www.box.net/shared/14sidymsk6

And here is a modded version '4c' of the mission with changed takeoff base for support flights, and a little bonus target and waypoint: the Aswan dam! It is set as the assigned target for the lead flight.

Get it here:

http://www.box.net/shared/9t1ifuccdz

I've also managed to take out part of the huge dam, and that would be the hydro-electrical-plant to the side of the main construction. The main dam seems to be a structure without damage state maybe? In any case, I couldn't notice any damage being dealt to with, neither with rockets nor with mavs.

I will work on adding the hydro-electrical plant as a target as well.

(For the record, the current coordinates for assigned dam is: 72 310 0 0)

Finally I would like to mention, that I noticed a lot of flights far far far south east - a completely different conflict going on over there actually..

Maybe these should get removed to reduce any possibility of lag etc?? I will see if i can effectively remove them (and not one by one >.< )

Great work on the mission so far Hawkx! I think this would be a great one to fly Co-op!

That's it for now! Cheers!