A question

Old Guy

At the moment, Gehenna Station is out of print and not available even as an ebook. I severed my relationship with Lulu.com primarily because they couldn't offer as many services as Booklocker, the publisher of Pawn's Gambit.

My plan is to have Booklocker reissue Gehenna Station as an ebook-only. No print version at all. I plan to publish this electronic version with a new cover.

A few people thought the book should have contained more Marine/raptor engagements. Many folks wanted a sequel wherein Cord and Gunny ferret out the treasonous bastards in Imperial Fleet HQ.

The original book had a very rapid timeline -- something like 33 days from when Cord landed at Gehenna Station to the mostly successful rescue of hostages from the airless moon. The progression went in a logical manner -- training of the newbies, a few patrols around the Station, a patrol to the Emergency bunker, the discovery of the Quog shuttle, cross-country to Stanley (via shuttle and raft), followed by the battle with the Quog and the rescue of hostages.

It should be possible to add material prior to the discovery of the Quog shuttle. A few violent encounters with raptors, perhaps? Once the team heads for Stanley, I don't think one could add material without bollixing the timeline.

As for adding material at the end, describing Cord and Gunny's attempts to uncover the nastiness at Fleet HQ, I think that could be done. The 244-page book could grow to around 350 without too much trouble.

If I essentially re-wrote the book, with added scenes early-on and an extended ending, it could be billed as having "new material" or something like that. I really would like the new ebook to be better than the original, but I'm not sure how much work is worthwhile. My original plan was to edit it closely and make a few minor changes.

What are your thoughts?

Jim

As long as there were no continuity issues. My fear about that with my (unpublished) work is that the original feel of the story suffers. And you don't want to fall into the trap of being repetitive, in that how many raptor attacks could you do with one sounding like the other. Yeah I know, they were smart and learned, but an acorn sized brain can process only so much info. Having said that, do it, just be careful.

Mikew,

It was only withdrawn from publication a couple weeks ago.

I think the consensus agrees with my gut feeling. I'll reissue it as an ebook (Kindle, Nook, iBook, etc) within a few weeks. Other than a smidgen of editing, I'll not change it.

Most of you read a portion of a prequel to GS called Marine Recruit. I may see about finishing that one next. After that, I've always envisioned a book chronicling Gunny Radix at the time when he is wounded so badly that he is "mechanized" -- made into an android. Coupling action with the horror of the transition, I believe that one could be darn good. After that I should write the sequel to GS.

The most complete novel in my files is Pursuit Pilot. Stans remembers that one. :D I have collected a good deal of additional information on the air war in the Philippines, Java, and New Guinea during those terrible days in early 1942. The draft needs a complete rewrite and additional material dealing with the fighting in Java and New Guinea. It should be the kind of book an agent or regular publisher would be interested in.

I'm slowly working my way toward a conclusion to The Case of the Alien Dingus. A couple of trips and a really severe cold, along with WORK have conspired to slow it down. After that I have one more forum tale partly done. If I had any sense, I'd quit writing forum stories and those short stories for EDF and concentrate on the real fiction. Alas, I have little sense.

Truthfully, if I go to my grave having done nothing more than create those Giselle tales, the Symbiotic Saloon farces, and all those other silly stories, along with the EDF stuff, I'll die happy. Serious writing is a hell of a lot of work.

Maybe when I retire ....................

Thanks for you kind attention.

OG :)

sorry to be late to the party. I would be careful about adding much more Marine/raptor battles. IMO that could get old pretty fast. I frankly think the original was pretty good and a good length. I liked the fact that some information was "left to the imagination"

Thanks, Arch.

I do have to be careful about "leaving stuff to the imagination".

Stans always imagines a conspiracy and Donnie thinks of boobs.

Just another cross for the old writer to bear. :D

OG

Thanks, Arch.

I do have to be careful about "leaving stuff to the imagination".

Stans always imagines a conspiracy and Donnie thinks of boobs.

Just another cross for the old writer to bear. :D

OG

What the hell else is there to think about? :rolleyes: