Just installed 2.16

Reticuli

Hmm... very nice ideas on the new HUD, but the delta circles around the speed and altimeter are pretty worthless and just add clutter. The real ones move smoothly. In crude increments, it's of mostly no value.

I also can't seem to get 1024x768 D3D running. These menu interfaces & windows are a bit cumbersome and often don't seem to "remember" what settings you just saved.

Hmm... very nice ideas on the new HUD, but the delta circles around the speed and altimeter are pretty worthless and just add clutter. The real ones move smoothly. In crude increments, it's of mostly no value.

I also can't seem to get 1024x768 D3D running. These menu interfaces & windows are a bit cumbersome and often don't seem to "remember" what settings you just saved.

Quote: " ........ delta circles around the speed and altimeter are pretty worthless and just add clutter ...... "

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean .......

EDIT: Looks OK and just fine to me ......

ScreenShot002-7.jpg

Quote: "..... running ......" What do you mean?

Quote: "....... menu interfaces & windows are a bit cumbersome ....." In what way?

Quote: "....... remember what settings ...... " What setting?

The delta circles don't move smoothly and just seem to add clutter to the HUD. The real ones move smoothly, not in chunky increments. The whole point of them is to finely stabilize speed and altitude by using the visual cues. I assume mine are working just like yours are... click, click, click on the reference ring???

Quite a few times settings don't seem to hold, particularly graphics ones.

What did fix the 1024x768 D3D not working was trying out the TrackIR cockpit modes. Suddenly hi-res D3D started working, both the original D3D (when I went back to it) and the TrackIR Cockpit modes. That was the only way to get it going for some reason. Strange, but it seemed to "kick in". Now I can flip between Glide and D3D without an issue. Upon first installation my install was really glitchy. It was brand spanking fresh, though. Errors. Resolution not supported. And on and on.

Many different confusing windows. Turn music off. Hit music setting save button, no feedback. It doesn't remember. I think I'm getting more of the hang of this 3 different menu pages plus the reference page, but it's really lacking elegance. Still I apprecate the effort put into it. It's just not very user friendly unless you've been dealing with the mod-community's TAW, I guess.

F22 exe doesn't shut down. I have to ctrl alt delete and manually end the process. I assume that's a known bug, since it always happens.

I keep getting crashes in D3D, but I can cut them waaaay down by putting the f22 exe in Windows NT compatibility mode. I'm on XP. Maybe that will help others. That's always what I use on my old TAW intall to get it stable.

The HUD in Glide mode slows it down to like one-quarter of the original frame rates. Turn HUD off, smooth as glass.

The new terrain textures are very nice and sharp, by the way. Like those ocean waves near the shore. This sim has gotten two or three times bigger since the stock and much more pleasing to the eye.

The delta circles don't move smoothly and just seem to add clutter to the HUD. The real ones move smoothly, not in chunky increments. The whole point of them is to finely stabilize speed and altitude by using the visual cues. I assume mine are working just like yours are... click, click, click on the reference ring???

Ye ..... but in truth I don't use the circles, other than as a visual locator. Altitute and speed are big issues for me.

Quite a few times settings don't seem to hold, particularly graphics ones.

What did fix the 1024x768 D3D not working was trying out the TrackIR cockpit modes. Suddenly hi-res D3D started working, both the original D3D (when I went back to it) and the TrackIR Cockpit modes. That was the only way to get it going for some reason. Strange, but it seemed to "kick in". Now I can flip between Glide and D3D without an issue. Upon first installation my install was really glitchy. It was brand spanking fresh, though. Errors. Resolution not supported. And on and on.

Many different confusing windows. Turn music off. Hit music setting save button, no feedback. It doesn't remember. I think I'm getting more of the hang of this 3 different menu pages plus the reference page, but it's really lacking elegance. Still I apprecate the effort put into it. It's just not very user friendly unless you've been dealing with the mod-community's TAW, I guess.

F22 exe doesn't shut down. I have to ctrl alt delete and manually end the process. I assume that's a known bug, since it always happens.

Home Fries is the expert on this (on everything about TAW2.0 ...... its his masterpiece). There is no access to the original TAW code so what he and others have done is exceptional. I afraid I become a bit protective when I see negative things said, but understand it is with the best intent. Yes .... I agree the Launcher can be a bit cumbersome (sorry HF), but a careful read of the TAW2.0 Manual Addendum is mandatory, as HF keeps telling me. :lol:

I keep getting crashes in D3D, but I can cut them waaaay down by putting the f22 exe in Windows NT compatibility mode. I'm on XP. Maybe that will help others. That's always what I use on my old TAW intall to get it stable.

The HUD in Glide mode slows it down to like one-quarter of the original frame rates. Turn HUD off, smooth as glass.

I tried all .exe options listed and found the best for me was an untweaked Zeck's .exe with TrackIR. There is another one somewhere (nGlide is it?) so keep fiddling. Unfortunately its all over my head. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm being harsh on it. So much stuff wasn't working in the beginning and you really need a tutorial to navigate all the nooks and crainies in the launcher interface. If you just jump right in with much of it seeming to not "take", it's really damned frustrating. But it's working out.

It is astounding what has been done without the source code. Definitely. And I always said this sim was waaaaay deeper than most players gave it credit for. All the work and the documentation/references compiled in one spot. Amazing intricacy revealed in all its glory.

I think I nailed down what's causing the extreme slow down in glide for me: changing the dx 7 to or from the newer type emmulation to get rid of the blue outlines around everything. In high resolutions, without the blue edge it looks really blocky and ugly without massive antialiasing. But add AA and it slows down. Go back to the blue outlines on the text, and I can use any amount of graphics enhancements I want on the vid card and it's still playable. Cool. So I can leave with the blue outlines. Glide seems a little bit more stable than 1024x768 D3D, though that one's the fastest of all (even with vid card maxed) and most crisp looking... until I stretch it to widescreen, of course. I actually don't think the Direct3D non-trackIR mods are working for me at all. Not a biggy with the available alternatives.