Graphics problems, questions, whatever

Malleus

Hi!

First things first: this mod is awesome, and kudos to all people involved (I assume it's mostly HomeFries). I've been experimenting with TAW 2.0 recently and had reached disappointing conclusions about my situation on the graphics front. Let's see one by one:

D3D 1024x768

Doesn't work at all.

D3D 800x600

Smooth, and would look great, but there's this blue outline around everything thing, plus enabling the smartview crashes it.

dgVoodoo/zeckensack

I'd say graphics quiality is okay*, but it's slow. Sometimes it reaches abysmal fps values. Has something to with terrain.**

nGlide

A bit faster than the above, but produces a weird "dual render" graphical glitch. In that pic it's only the hud markers, but it doubles those glide block artifacts too.*

So, umm, any ideas to alleviate some of these problems? Forum search revealed to me that it's hopeless, but who knows, maybe things happened in the meantime. My PC: Dual Core E5400, ATI HD5770 card (latest Catalyst, but this card needs the newer ones, can't revert back to before 10.1, or something like that), Win7 64bit.

*All glide wrappers produce weird graphical artifacts - things get blocky when they are far from the camera. Like in this shot, the wings of the Mig-27 in the middle. Is this because how glide wrappers "up-interpret" the 800x600 resolution images produced by the game? I assume this cannot be fixed?

**The fps drops happen both in external and internal views, and depend on where I look with the camera. As I said, it's something about the terrain, I think. Now here comes the strange part - out of curiosity, I enabled the nostalgia mod, and suddenly it was smooth as butter, not fps drop anywhere. I tried disabling the nostalgia mod and enabling some "1998" mods, but fps drops remained. It has something to do with the terrain in the new version, I don't know, maybe the view distance was changed, or the building models or textures...? Just saying that the nostalgia mod fixes this problem for me.

So I can play now without problems if I activate the nostalgia mod, but I miss some of the new features (I like the new HUD, the new terrain textures are lovely, and I LOVE the dynamic sky transition / fog palette).

Well, that's it for now, cheers. :)

Hi!

First things first: this mod is awesome, and kudos to all people involved (I assume it's mostly HomeFries). I've been experimenting with TAW 2.0 recently and had reached disappointing conclusions about my situation on the graphics front. Let's see one by one:

D3D 1024x768

Doesn't work at all.

D3D 800x600

Smooth, and would look great, but there's this blue outline around everything thing, plus enabling the smartview crashes it.

dgVoodoo/zeckensack

I'd say graphics quiality is okay*, but it's slow. Sometimes it reaches abysmal fps values. Has something to with terrain.**

nGlide

A bit faster than the above, but produces a weird "dual render" graphical glitch. In that pic it's only the hud markers, but it doubles those glide block artifacts too.*

So, umm, any ideas to alleviate some of these problems? Forum search revealed to me that it's hopeless, but who knows, maybe things happened in the meantime. My PC: Dual Core E5400, ATI HD5770 card (latest Catalyst, but this card needs the newer ones, can't revert back to before 10.1, or something like that), Win7 64bit.

*All glide wrappers produce weird graphical artifacts - things get blocky when they are far from the camera. Like in this shot, the wings of the Mig-27 in the middle. Is this because how glide wrappers "up-interpret" the 800x600 resolution images produced by the game? I assume this cannot be fixed?

**The fps drops happen both in external and internal views, and depend on where I look with the camera. As I said, it's something about the terrain, I think. Now here comes the strange part - out of curiosity, I enabled the nostalgia mod, and suddenly it was smooth as butter, not fps drop anywhere. I tried disabling the nostalgia mod and enabling some "1998" mods, but fps drops remained. It has something to do with the terrain in the new version, I don't know, maybe the view distance was changed, or the building models or textures...? Just saying that the nostalgia mod fixes this problem for me.

So I can play now without problems if I activate the nostalgia mod, but I miss some of the new features (I like the new HUD, the new terrain textures are lovely, and I LOVE the dynamic sky transition / fog palette).

Well, that's it for now, cheers. :)

We'll leave it to HF initially, he's the gooroo (not that others might want to help .... please go ahead). Unfortunately he has a heavy personal workload these days so a speedy response is unlikely. I understand he's also having graphics issues as well, but not necessarily with TAW2.0. Stay tuned ....

The D3D problems are due to the video driver and/or chipset. I've seen this on a couple of PCs over the years, both Nvidia and ATI, and I was never able to fix it by changing drivers. On the plus side, it makes targets easier to spot. :)

So, you need to go the Glide wrapper route. You are probably right when you say that object detail causes the slowdown.

A few years ago, we did an experiment where all objects are shown at their highest detail from a greater distance, which involved editing all the 3d model files....and it seems that it is these files that are used by default in TAW2.0.

It should be possible just to replace the '3' folder with that from the original game but keep the model files that have been altered for TAW2.0 if we know which ones they are.

The D3D problems are due to the video driver and/or chipset. I've seen this on a couple of PCs over the years, both Nvidia and ATI, and I was never able to fix it by changing drivers. On the plus side, it makes targets easier to spot. :)

So, you need to go the Glide wrapper route. You are probably right when you say that object detail causes the slowdown.http://community.combatsim.com/public/style_emoticons/default/xyxthumbs.gif

A few years ago, we did an experiment where all objects are shown at their highest detail from a greater distance, which involved editing all the 3d model files....and it seems that it is these files that are used by default in TAW2.0.

It should be possible just to replace the '3' folder with that from the original game but keep the model files that have been altered for TAW2.0 if we know which ones they are.

Its not for me to hand out accolades, but thanks mike. :thumbsup:

That worked! I replaced the TAW2.0 "3" folder with the one in the nostalgia mod, and there are no fps drops anymore! Thanks for the idea!

Anyway, what did I just do? :) What are these .3 files? 3d models? The sim seems to be working great now, I just wish to know what I just did. :)

That worked! I replaced the TAW2.0 "3" folder with the one in the nostalgia mod, and there are no fps drops anymore! Thanks for the idea!

Anyway, what did I just do? :) What are these .3 files? 3d models? The sim seems to be working great now, I just wish to know what I just did. :)

:lol: . Come over and fly Multiplay with us and you'll learn so much more. ;)

Malleus,

Welcome to the forums, and sorry for a late reply.

Editing the 3 files was before my time, so I can't say what was done. My understanding is that the visibility range was increased for the high detail models, but don't take that to the bank.

I'm honestly surprised that a 5000 series ATI card was having trouble with slowdowns. There are a few things that could have contributed to this:

1. Were you using dgVoodoo's D3D7 renderer as opposed to its D3D9 renderer? If you ran Glide with dgVoodoo and didn't change your settings, the answer is yes. dgVoodoo in D3D9 is much faster with a lot of objects on the screen.
  2. Was the slowdown everywhere, or primarily when you looked at the HUD? Did you try the original TAW HUD to see if your frames increased?
  3. Finally, when you ran Zeckensack's wrapper, did you select Glide with 3rd party wrapper (as opposed to dgVoodoo)? Reason I ask is that zeckensack's wrapper is probably the fastest wrapper out there (esp. for ATI cards), so a slowdown with that is surprising.
  4. As an extension to the last question, did TAW 2.0 CTD the first time you tried to run it with the Zeckensack wrapper? In order to work properly, it should have.

Finally, the "double glitch" in nGlide is due to the way it renders 2D (i.e. text, lines). It's something you have to get used to if you go with nGlide, but it is a pretty fast wrapper so IMHO that's a small price to pay.

Please let me know how everything goes/went.

Yes, those are the 3D model files. I assume you merged the nostalgia files into the TAW2.0 directory otherwise I would have expected a crash as there are a few more files now.

Editing the 3 files was before my time, so I can't say what was done. My understanding is that the visibility range was increased for the high detail models, but don't take that to the bank.

The mod was to ensure that only the highest LOD was visible. This was an experiment performed in association with Polak in which we wanted to see what would happen. The easiest way to do this was to write a script to modify all .3 files. This was probably a bit too cavalier...

Welcome to the forums, and sorry for a late reply

No problem!

1. Yes, I used the D3D9 mode.

2. The slowdown depended on where I looked, but didn't seem related to the HUD. It even happened in the very first demo scene - where 4 F-22s take off. The camera looks down on the planes and then pans up - the slowdown happened when the horizon was in the view (also later whenever the camera looked in that direction). I also tested with the LGB Airfield training mission, and slowdown happened when I looked forward (the direction the mission starts), both in moveable external view (no HUD) and both in cockpit view.

3-4. Yes, I used zeckensack's wrapper according to the instructions here (UPDATED 22SEP09). I may try again, just to be sure, but then again, I do not prefer it since it doesn't let me play in 1280x1024 (my monitor's native res).

Right now I'm using the old .3 files and the dgVoodoo wrapper, and it works fine, no slowdowns and no complications with the new features either.

No problem!

2. The slowdown depended on where I looked, but didn't seem related to the HUD. It even happened in the very first demo scene - where 4 F-22s take off. The camera looks down on the planes and then pans up - the slowdown happened when the horizon was in the view (also later whenever the camera looked in that direction). I also tested with the LGB Airfield training mission, and slowdown happened when I looked forward (the direction the mission starts), both in moveable external view (no HUD) and both in cockpit view.

3-4. Yes, I used zeckensack's wrapper according to the instructions here (UPDATED 22SEP09). I may try again, just to be sure, but then again, I do not prefer it since it doesn't let me play in 1280x1024 (my monitor's native res).

Right now I'm using the old .3 files and the dgVoodoo wrapper, and it works fine, no slowdowns and no complications with the new features either.

Wow. You did everything you should have, and you even got slowdowns in external views. That's amazing with your hardware, but if importing the "3" folder works for you, I'll keep that in mind for a possible solution. I may even make it a GME option in the next build (not that others wouldn't be able to create their own...).

One last thing that might help since you're using Win7: Select "Disable Desktop Composition" (or whatever it is called in Win7) with regards to the _f22.exe file. That may help your frames as well.

One last thing that might help since you're using Win7: Select "Disable Desktop Composition" (or whatever it is called in Win7) with regards to the _f22.exe file. That may help your frames as well.

Thanks HF. As informative as ever. "We can do no less and they can ask no more". :thumbsup:

No problem!

Hello, hO yes ! thanks for this tips , is working perfectly for me to.now I can play in glide mode and it is better.

My graphic card is a ATI (5870) .And sorry for my english bye