COMBATSIM Forum
Krycztij

TAW terrain format

:anim_bounce:

1 hour ago, mikew said:

I can't get the same orientation as 3View by inverting either X or Z. In fact if I do that, the Z-buffering seems to fail.

Oh! Screenshot of the Z buffer fail, please. Could it be that the triangles are inverted? Mirroring an axis swaps the winding order of indices from clockwise to counter-clockwise and vice versa …

I'm sure there is no problem with the Z Buffer handling, but not much can be done if the data in it is wrong.

The orientation is the least of my worries now.

This model specifies 4 vertices, draws a concrete pad under the hanger then reassigns the vertices for the hanger itself. I wasn't expecting that sequence and it will be awkward to fix.

That pales into insignificance though when we see the result of 2 textures fighting for the same polygon. As I understand it, a texture can override a shaded polygon in VRML, but you can't have coplanar textures. :(

Hopefully, I've missed the chapter on decals. :)

hdha_180wrl.png.c866039820dcbe869922256067745b2f.png

7 hours ago, mikew said:

This model specifies 4 vertices, draws a concrete pad under the hanger then reassigns the vertices for the hanger itself. I wasn't expecting that sequence and it will be awkward to fix.

Yes, this broke my ZSU-23-4 rendering back in 2012. And I guess to some degree it’s the reason for the odd canopy in 3rd person view in TFXplorer :(

Wait, two textures on the same polygon? I need to check this file out.

The 'two textures on the same polygon' in that picture was due to my misunderstanding. If I rotate the model, we get z-fighting around the hanger door area.

However, we will have that for terrain tiles where the textures are piled on each other. Luxor has a base texture, scruff, taxiway and runway...all coplanar.