COMBATSIM Forum
Krycztij

TAW terrain format

Well, for the 0049s with multiple rotations, I created a set of nested transforms and rotated around each axis separately in the order Z,Y,X.

The cockpit still doesn't look quite right though...

trrashcpt.png.0da1b62e9fcad09cc201e9c64b1c6206.png

At least most of it seems to be there now. :D

Back to the terrain, and I've done an experiment using VRML's Elevation Grid (1025x1025) instead of an Indexed Face Set.

It's basically the same tile (mont1c_1) but is now about 10MB (6.5MB VRML, 3.5MB BMP texture) in size as opposed to a few kB. It looks much nicer though with some mild weathering effects

mont1c.resized.png.7d7d3a328f7943b9f23c4cfb27242c9b.png

and even nicer closer in

mont1c_close.resized.png.ff75605c6b5a2b7d217d004b4cc464f6.png

Anyway, Lean Viewer handles it nicely. :thumbsup:

I just need to convert the other 159999 tiles now...and buy a bigger hard disk. :D

I agree, that does look much nicer. ☺️  Have you the means to convert that terrain tile back to a game usable mont1c_1.3? The largest model in the game is 40kb, do you know if TAW /F22ADF have a volume limit?

No, that isn't feasible, as a few of those tiles would have the same total number of vertices as the current terrain.

This is more for my own personal enjoyment where converting each terrain tile to a heightmap and texture allows for some experimenting with 'standard' tools.

Here I'm using World Machine to slightly modify the terrain around Luxor.

lux1.png.49a08ed1c15ebe69002f691e5d004566.png

A bit pointless really, but it was either do this or go to IKEA. :D

On 8/18/2019 at 10:51 PM, mikew said:

Back to the terrain, and I've done an experiment using VRML's Elevation Grid (1025x1025) instead of an Indexed Face Set.

It's basically the same tile (mont1c_1) but is now about 10MB (6.5MB VRML, 3.5MB BMP texture) in size as opposed to a few kB

I forgot that Lean Viewer can use PNG files for the texture which reduces the 3.5MB 1024x1024 bitmap into the ~100kB range.

It would be good if the Elevation Grid could be handled in a similar way, but as far as I can see, it is always handled as text. Maybe the complete VRML file can be compressed though.

This will only be the import format – the engine will cache imported models in an internal format. This way you don’t have to worry about mesh compression, block compression artifacts or efficiency of compression algorithms depending on the speed of the underlying data storage :)

It's more about how a TFX terrain sized terrain would be handled if we wanted more variation, ultimately with every tile unique.

As an experiment, I created 160000 tiles, each with a 2048x2048 elevation grid compressed into .hfz format and a 1024x1024 texture compressed to .png. It took about 8 hours just to create the files and the resulting directory took up about 16GB of disk space.
That didn't seem too bad without any optimization, apart from compression.

What was interesting, was that if I right-click in and select 'Properties' of the resulting directory in Win7 or Linux, I get an instant answer of 320000 files and the total size. With Win10 it takes seemingly forever to get the same result.