Some simple questions about TAWBC

Wombat1940

I don't seem to be able to modify and then save an updated briefing for a previously saved BC mission. I'm only working in the Editor, but it keeps defaulting to an earlier version. Text color changes is a particular problem.

I don't seem to be able to modify and then save an updated briefing for a previously saved BC mission. I'm only working in the Editor, but it keeps defaulting to an earlier version. Text color changes is a particular problem.

I cannot reproduce this bug.

I can change color and underline and stuff like that with no problem. I can save the file over my existing mission, close, clear and reload and it will have the changed briefing. I can also delete the loaded file and save it anew and it will also save the changes.

Maybe there is a weird formatting issue going on?

I can only suggest trying to reset the entire text to 'green' or something like that and then add a line that is under 'normal' format. save, then look at the .tbc file in notepad. scroll to the bottom (the BRF section) the line which should have the 'normal' format will have a different <??> color tag than the 'green' format. copy and replace.

if that's too much of a hassle, browse through the file in notepad, find the BRF section and try to pinpoint the error:

<c=y>Land at: <c=r> </c>

stuff like this might mess with taw-bc, since you first declare you cant color 'y' = yellow im guessing..

but then there is no </c> terminating the color selection. (seems to not be thaat harmful)

next, you declare color 'r' = red, and immediately stop coloring without any text in between.

this would be an example of stuff you want to avoid, to make sure the briefing turns out okay.

To make it very easy on yourself, just let the wizard create a completely new mission and use the newly created briefing as a template:

TAWBC_BRF

<c=r>Dynamic Co-Op Mission Briefing

</c>

<c=g>Mission Start Time:</c> 05:43:30

<c=g>Takeoff from:</c> Obock

<c=g>Land at:</c> Obock

<c=g>Your CallSign:</c> ECHO

<c=g>Mission Type:</c> Long Range Intercept

<c=g>Mission Target:</c>

<c=g>Your Flight Objective:</c> Fighter Sweep

<c=g>You will be flying for:</c> NATO forces

<c=g>You will be flying a flight of:</c> 4 F22's

<c=g>Your role</c>, should you choose to accept this mission, will be <c=r>Online Pilot

</c>

<c=r>TAW Battle Commander for DID's Total Air War

Game Tool Technologies, LLC ©1998-99

<c=g>On the net: http://www.gttweb.com

via e.mail: info@gttweb.com

from this i can also deduce, that to get to a new line in the briefing, you need to have a closing </c> on it's own separate line. (that was something i was getting wrong in my briefings ^^)

anyway hope this helps a bit

anyway hope this helps a bit

Thanks Eagle. I think it maybe the way I initially set up the text and hence the colors. So I've just re-typed it all and that seems to fix it.

I'm trying to work within the TAWBC Editor and not the Briefing, PDL, etc files. Its just that's how it should work for the less computer literate of us. Its easy for me to take that position as that is what I am, and in truth prefer. I think that's what the editor is for: a windows approach rather than a "dos" approach if you see what I mean.

Here's another question:

Question 2

Within the Editor can you make two player flights, say two planes in each?

I'd like to edit the 4 plane Dam Strike mission 4x to two groups giving me 2 leads.

Question 3

Within the Editor I seem to have trouble changing the ground forces from say "wait" to "driving". What am I missing?

Question 4

What are the little blue squares on the map?

Thanks

Thanks Eagle. I think it maybe the way I initially set up the text and hence the colors. So I've just re-typed it all and that seems to fix it.

I'm trying to work within the TAWBC Editor and not the Briefing, PDL, etc files. Its just that's how it should work for the less computer literate of us. Its easy for me to take that position as that is what I am, and in truth prefer. I think that's what the editor is for: a windows approach rather than a "dos" approach if you see what I mean.

Here's another question:

Question 2

Within the Editor can you make two player flights, say two planes in each?

I'd like to edit the 4 plane Dam Strike mission 4x to two groups giving me 2 leads.

Question 3

Within the Editor I seem to have trouble changing the ground forces from say "wait" to "driving". What am I missing?

Question 4

What are the little blue squares on the map?

Thanks

bump

bump

yo..

@ q2: no, i don't believe there is a way to achieve this completely from within the editor.

you can however almost completly achieve this within the editor.

just treat the secondary flight package as if it were to be flown by the AI. So create a new mission with F22's / decrease the number of F22's in primary package to 2, and create a new F22 mission with the other 2 F22 planes.

make sure you got most things set up like waypoints, and such..

The only 'hard' part is assigning the online players to the two seperate flights.

to facilitate this: use the inc/dec plane count trick to create a temporary mission 1 where the the player will fly the primary f22 package.

repete with the secondary F22 package, and create a temporary mission 2 where the player will fly the secondary f22 package.

next comes the 'down and dirty DOS editing' ^^

open the temp1 and temp2 missions:

you will see something like this:

top of mission 1: (primary F22 package - team 1)

TAWBC_NAME "Wombat's Dam Strike v4xn"

TAWBC_TYPE 1

TAWBC_PDL

; Players

PLAYER 0 1 USA

PLAYER 1 2 USA

PLAYER 2 3 USA

PLAYER 3 4 USA

top of mission 2: (secondary F22 package - team 2)

TAWBC_NAME "Wombat's Dam Strike v4xo"

TAWBC_TYPE 1

TAWBC_PDL

; Players

PLAYER 0 80 USA

PLAYER 1 81 USA

now to combine the two:

lets have a cross combine, so to fill up all flights even with only 2 online players

real pilot (0) HOST -> team 1 leader

real pilot (1) to join -> team 2 leader

real pilot (2) to join -> team 1 - two

real pilot (3) to join -> team 2 - two

to achieve this, the header of the mission should look like this:

TAWBC_NAME "Wombat's Dam Strike v4xFINAL"

TAWBC_TYPE 1

TAWBC_PDL

; Players

PLAYER 0 1 USA

PLAYER 1 80 USA

PLAYER 2 2 USA

PLAYER 3 81 USA

---

after this edit, load up the mission in TAW-BC

you should now notice two circles with inward arrowtips, indicating two different flights - both assigned to the player(s)

---

@q3: i didn't have any issues changing the waypoint command for ground units. right-click on the ground unit and under the 'Action' label, you can select the action for a certain waypoint.

if that doesnt work, please try to clearly explain the situation, maybe upload the mission file and state which ground unit refuses to do what it's supposed to! ^^

@q4: i'm assuming you mean in taw-bc when you zoom in close enough? i'm pretty sure they represent buildings - i'm gonna have to go back on my word here and correct myself... I once thought these were static targets you could assign as targets. it turns out they might well be static targets, but i cannot seem to assign them as targets :(

sorry!!

---

hope that clears up a bit, otherwise check the TAW-BC manual thread for more info on the F22 team-split :)

cheers!

@ q2: no, i don't believe there is a way to achieve this completely from within the editor.

Expected this. Just one of those lovely "Eagle Touches". I'll read on.

@q3: i didn't have any issues changing the waypoint command for ground units. right-click on the ground unit and under the 'Action' label, you can select the action for a certain waypoint.

Waypoint command? Is that what it is? I'm actually trying to change an enemy ground vehicle ........ Oh! It has WP's too! :unsure:

However, I do change it from say "on route" to "wait" but I can't save the new instruction.

@q4: i'm assuming you mean in taw-bc when you zoom in close enough?

Yes ...... that's the ones

i'm pretty sure they represent buildings - i'm gonna have to go back on my word here and correct myself... I once thought these were static targets you could assign as targets. it turns out they might well be static targets, but i cannot seem to assign them as targets

Interesting to put a new static target near them (or on top of) and target that.....

hope that clears up a bit, otherwise check the TAW-BC manual thread for more info on the F22 team-split :)

Oooops! ....... forgot ....... RTFM. ;) Thanks EDIT: A direction to what you understand to be the TAW-BC manual thread please.

Expected this. Just one of those lovely "Eagle Touches". I'll read on.

i think the instructions i gave on this thread should be easy enough to follow, and the ONLY edit you have to do is copy/paste to combine 2 files in to 1.

Waypoint command? Is that what it is? I'm actually trying to change an enemy ground vehicle ........ Oh! It has WP's too! :unsure:

However, I do change it from say "on route" to "wait" but I can't save the new instruction.

not sure what you are doing wrong. i can save it without a problem. i can reload the mission from the folder into taw-bc and it will have the new command correctly saved.

be once again more precise? whats the error code? floating-point error? does it appear to save, but when you reload it has the old command?

Yes ...... that's the ones

Interesting to put a new static target near them (or on top of) and target that.....

ehh what? ^^ i think those squares are there so taw-bc can correctly register static objects. i dont think you can drag waypoints over them to target them. using a decoy mobile ground unit over the static target, assigning that target to a flight, and then deleting the ground unit might have adverse effects.......

Oooops! ....... forgot ....... RTFM. ;) Thanks EDIT: A direction to what you understand to be the TAW-BC manual thread please.

:rofl:

dude, its the thread you opened just a few weeks ago!

:rolleyes:

cheers! ^^

dude, its the thread you opened just a few weeks ago!

:rolleyes:

cheers! ^^

:lol: Yes I thought that was it. But then again .......... :blink:

I'm on TS3 now .... any chance?