Enemy Ground Vehicle Identification

Wombat1940

I'm fond of using the "t" key to get an automatic ground target shootlist. But sometime it selects "friendly's". Also, its not always straight forward to visually identify the enemy when they use Russian and US hardware with say Ethiopia v Sudan.

Any suggestions?

I'm fond of using the "t" key to get an automatic ground target shootlist. But sometime it selects "friendly's". Also, its not always straight forward to visually identify the enemy when they use Russian and US hardware with say Ethiopia v Sudan.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, but you should be aware of this little trick ;)

This problem is actually only of effect when trying to take out certain ground units that don't show up as enemy/friends on the MFD.

So the trick is to use the visual padlock to get an identifying text in the upper left corner of the screen.

To do so:

- make sure you have A2G mode selected (use guns)

- select target restriction for padlock with F11 (set it 'ground units' - using 'static targets' will help you identify certain buildings you got to take out)

- use 'Z' and/or 'shift+Z' (us: QWERTY keyboard - for eu: QWERTZ keyboard the button will be 'Y' and 'shift+Y') to cycle through available targets

while cycling through the valid targets (must be in relative close range) the text should appear in the upper left corner.

- compare nationality of ground targets with knowledge you already know about mission: which country did I take off from? over which territory am i flying now? did the briefing mention which protagonists are involved in conflict?

- use 'S' to add a currently padlocked object to the active target list (or 'M' to pass the padlocked item on to a wingman)

- once you've got the bad guy locked up, well you know the rest ;)

this method can be used with AGM65G against buildings for example. it can be used with guns against ground targets. it can also be used with AA weapons against other aircraft. sadly i haven't gotten it to work with GBU24s - so for now you still have to manually aim the LANTIRN laser with bunker busters :)

hope that helps?

btw:

glad to see a new version of the mission up, im sure it will be fun to fly ^^

cheers!

Yeah, but you should be aware of this little trick ;)

This problem is actually only of effect when trying to take out certain ground units that don't show up as enemy/friends on the MFD.

So the trick is to use the visual padlock to get an identifying text in the upper left corner of the screen.

To do so:

- make sure you have A2G mode selected (use guns)

- select target restriction for padlock with F11 (set it 'ground units' - using 'static targets' will help you identify certain buildings you got to take out)

- use 'Z' and/or 'shift+Z' (us: QWERTY keyboard - for eu: QWERTZ keyboard the button will be 'Y' and 'shift+Y') to cycle through available targets

while cycling through the valid targets (must be in relative close range) the text should appear in the upper left corner.

- compare nationality of ground targets with knowledge you already know about mission: which country did I take off from? over which territory am i flying now? did the briefing mention which protagonists are involved in conflict?

- use 'S' to add a currently padlocked object to the active target list (or 'M' to pass the padlocked item on to a wingman)

- once you've got the bad guy locked up, well you know the rest ;)

this method can be used with AGM65G against buildings for example. it can be used with guns against ground targets. it can also be used with AA weapons against other aircraft. sadly i haven't gotten it to work with GBU24s - so for now you still have to manually aim the LANTIRN laser with bunker busters :)

hope that helps?

btw:

glad to see a new version of the mission up, im sure it will be fun to fly ^^

cheers!

Very good. :thumbsup: I'm familiar with the F2/F3 F3/F4 Visual Padlocking keys thank goodness. :rolleyes:

And its more work for the Lead to do himself or deligate. Wait 'til you're Lead in the next update on Dam Strike 4x. :whoa:

Neph was our Lead today. Did a great job (Brig. Gen Battie has been advised). He never stopped directing, advising, chastising, etc. I learned a lot but wish I had his and Hawkx SA. They seem to see what I'm doing, or where I am, better than me! :lol: Tiger's coming along nicely. :thumbsup:

I'll be there Sunday night 20:00 your time for the 'EU Friendly MP Flight'. Forgot to mention it to Tiger (and others) so hope he can make it.

Very good. :thumbsup: I'm familiar with the F3/F4 Visual Padlocking keys thank goodness. :rolleyes:

JUST SENSATIONAL!! :icon_bow:

F11 for 'ground vehicles', eye-ball them visually (10 items in my case), no need to target, hit F4, page through all 10 with 'Z' (my preference) and read their allegiance in the top right corner of screen.

This TAWBC is rapidly becoming a training mission for a flight group Lead.

Thanks mate. :thumbsup:

JUST SENSATIONAL!! :icon_bow:

F11 for 'ground vehicles', eye-ball them visually (10 items in my case), no need to target, hit F4, page through all 10 with 'Z' (my preference) and read their allegiance in the top right corner of screen.

This TAWBC is rapidly becoming a training mission for a flight group Lead.

Thanks mate. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Sorry Neph, I think this is what you were telling me today in the heat of battle ...... it was just that I had very sweaty palms at the time and very preoccupied .... but thanks.