New to CombatSim TAW forum

CPS_Bomber

Hello One & All,

First time posting here after being nudged in this direction by Wombat1940 :)

Was a big fan of TAW and F22ADF back in the days of Win95/98 (never tried in MP as never had internet at at the time) but after stepping up to XP due to other computering needs of the time I lost the ability to run them (best guess was) due to sound card issues. Prop & civvy sims took over after that (BoBII, IL-2 series, various incarnations of MSFS to name but a few) for a number of years, but after snooping around the possibility of chewing on Falcon4AF/FF for something a bit more agreessive than 350mph at best, I bumped into Wombat1940 over at SimHQ who in turn pointed me over in this direction on the mention of TAW.

I haven't read anything else on these forums as yet, but if TAW can be made to work on Vista or XP with an X52pro and ProPedals, I feel some very late nights coming on ;)

Dare I ask, "where do I start?"

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Welcome!

TAW 2.0 (which is also a great starting point) has been tested in everything from Win98 to Win 7 x64, and does work with the X52. We have a number of multiplayer flyers who use the X52 and enjoy it. The rudders may be a bit more tricky.

TAW uses a single controller input, so if there is a way to virtualize your rudders to your X52 using the programming software, you should be ok. If not, you may need to just use the twist stick in lieu of rudders.

I've got X52 Pro, a number of people have it too, it works fine. Not sure if the pedals can be used. People with more advanced controllers (CHP, Cougar, Warthog) can do that, but TAW tends to auto-assign the axles. From my experience with Saitek software, the pedals probably won't work. Unless there's some special workaround Saitek put in just for that.

But the controller will work. Once you're in the game, press Alt-C to center the stick (X52Pro is 16-bit, game defaults are set for 8-bit sticks).

Actually, if you want it, I could give you my TAW profile for this stick. It's a bit specific, and not perfect (modes not used, stick base switches not fully used), but it could be a start.

As to where to start - TAW 2.0 thread as mentioned.

Hello One & All,

First time posting here after being nudged in this direction by Wombat1940 :)

Was a big fan of TAW and F22ADF back in the days of Win95/98 (never tried in MP as never had internet at at the time) but after stepping up to XP due to other computering needs of the time I lost the ability to run them (best guess was) due to sound card issues. Prop & civvy sims took over after that (BoBII, IL-2 series, various incarnations of MSFS to name but a few) for a number of years, but after snooping around the possibility of chewing on Falcon4AF/FF for something a bit more agreessive than 350mph at best, I bumped into Wombat1940 over at SimHQ who in turn pointed me over in this direction on the mention of TAW.

I haven't read anything else on these forums as yet, but if TAW can be made to work on Vista or XP with an X52pro and ProPedals, I feel some very late nights coming on ;)

Dare I ask, "where do I start?"

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Great to see you Bomber! :thumbsup: Yes I dropped all the hints I could at SimHQ about CombatSim and TAW. Of course its not TAW but TAW2.0 which is TAW with all the bells and whistles. The history is lengthy but enough to say TAW2.0 is only really discussed in detail at this forum. We only mention TAW over at SimHQ.

I'll be surprise if you don't enjoy TAW2.0, particularly if you were a 1998 TAW purchaser. When I found TAW2.0 I nearly wet myself. Can this be true or am I dreaming? I was only a SP participant up to I think 18 months ago, when I was quietly encouraged to join MP, :superscare: but its just sensational. Not to say I didn't find that I couldn't use the PAUSE button when setting the LANTIRN a problem and all the other times I used it in SP. :lol: You just learn so much more about how to fly and constantly picking up tips from the boys here.

Anyway enough of that for the moment, lets just put your toe in the water, and let you make up your own mind.

If you wish to try it (its free) go here and download and install.

Follow the instructions carefully. Its normally always successful. (Famous last words, Wombat. ;) )

If you have problems, just have a look here.

And if still no good don't hesitate to post at the same thread. Don't forget to give a full description of your equipment. See my signature below for a content guide.

Once installed, give it a go in SP. Get your ancillary hardware set: joystick, throttle, rudders (wouldn't worry too much about this, I use a throttle rotatory), TrackIR maybe, etc, etc.

And importantly: enjoy.

Of course we'll then want you to join MP. ;) With HF, Neph and Hx in the US; Eagle in Switzerland; Tiger in Russia and me in Australia. There are other less frequent fliers and those still battling Internet and hardware issues. I won't deny, we are always look to recruit fliers to MP, however its SP for you and lets see where that takes you. Welcome. :icon_salute3:

EDIT: If you want to speak to us direct we use TS3 and have regular meetings and flights, But maybe that's a bit premature ....

Hello One & All,

Welcome! :thumbsup:

Enjoy your stay here at CombatSim! Especially with TAW 2.0 - It's got some nice improvements!

Like others have already mentioned, try to get TAW 2.16a up and running - Getting used to the feel of TAW and the main essential functionality of the F22 will be necessary.

Once installed, go through some easy training missions, like take-off / landing / EMCON - try to resist using auto-pilot, Shift+S or Shift+T, as this will provide good practice.

To find certain key-presses, you will want to check the left side panel of the new TAW-Launcher. Go to References -> from the top entries, the second last should read 'TAW Expanded Keyboard Reference'

The reference tab has quite the bit of useful info b.t.w. - be sure to hover over the different documents with the mouse, to find out the name, and see if they are of interest to you.

(Tip: The TAW 2.0 Addendum will contain info regarding some ports that would need to be set-up properly for Multiplayer action - But it's well worth it!)

Once you feel comfortable in your F22, check the 'How to join Multiplayer' post, and the TeamSpeak 3 info in the 'Weekly-Fly-In' post.

Hope to see you around!

Cheers, and enjoy your stay :)

mikew, Home Fries, Tigershark, Wombat1940, The_Nephilim & Eagle_Flight.... Hello!

Thanks for the warm welcome here guys! :thumbsup:

Well step one is complete - 2.16a is installed and running - though it still needs tweaking a little as I don't think the glide wrappers are working quite as advertised yet. Have been airborne a few times though and the relearning has begun :lol:

I have to say that TAW is only one of maybe 3 or 4 flight simulators I've had on the PC since the late 1990's (and I've had around 40 - 50 different titles in that time) that feels like it welcomes you with open arms when you fire it up.

Step Two - My X52pro & throttle is working as advertised (but only after unplugging my VRInsight control panel), but as forwarned my pro pedals are refusing to play ball as far as rudder axis goes. I have however got the toe pedals working for differential toe brakes using the Saitek SST software, so not all bad! Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit also functioning in game without problems thanks to Saitek SST.

I don't own TrackIR, so that's one less thing to worry about :)

@Tiger - fire away with the profile you've made, would be pleased to see how you've set things up. Email me with this addy.

I've been trying to remember how I had things set back in 1998 when I first got an X-36 HOTAS (pre USB with the software on floppies), so all suggestions & info greatly recieved ;) When I think I've got my stick programming perfected, I'll post my setup here should anyone be interested.

Step Three - RTFM!! A work in progress. Great job on getting so much literature together in an all-inclusive reference library within the TAW2 installation. BIG time saver. Have dug out my original boxes for F22ADF, RSO and TAW so I've got a hard copy of the essential material by my side to read on the fly as required too.

Step Four - get ready for multiplayer! Not been to the MP thread here yet, but the weekend is just a few days away so some experimenting will be in order. How extensive is the co-op side of things in TAW2? Are online campaigns possible, or is it just single missions?

I'm sure I'll be shouting for help with setting up comms too, so standby for another question bombardment shortly!

Oh cr*p - it's nearly 03:00 and I need to be up for work at 06:00 :blink:

DiD - the magic you built into your F-22 world lives on after all this time!

See you all on the flight line soon,

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Step Four - get ready for multiplayer! Not been to the MP thread here yet, but the weekend is just a few days away so some experimenting will be in order. How extensive is the co-op side of things in TAW2? Are online campaigns possible, or is it just single missions?

No, there is no MP Dynamic Campaign as such. However there are Campaign mission tailored for MP Co-op play. Although the objectives of a mission remain the same, the method of achieving those objectives can be dynamical effected by such a simple things as delaying the take-off. Also Co-op missions are developed using the TAW Battle Commander (TAWBC) and you'll see threads here discussing their development, with SP and MP beta testing of the same. Recently we've introduced the playing of untried missions with details only know to the developer. We are hoping to just use the TAWBC Wizard to do all the work of development, but this has yet to be tested.

Keep in touch, we're monitoring your progress. ;)

Well step one is complete - 2.16a is installed and running - though it still needs tweaking a little as I don't think the glide wrappers are working quite as advertised yet. Have been airborne a few times though and the relearning has begun

I'm reading this as TAW2.0 Version 2.16a has being satisfactorily install. :thumbsup:

Step Two - My X52pro & throttle is working as advertised (but only after unplugging my VRInsight control panel), but as forwarned my pro pedals are refusing to play ball as far as rudder axis goes. I have however got the toe pedals working for differential toe brakes using the Saitek SST software, so not all bad! Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit also functioning in game without problems thanks to Saitek SST.

I'm reading this as 'stick, throttle and toe pedals working. :thumbsup:

I've been trying to remember how I had things set back in 1998 when I first got an X-36 HOTAS (pre USB with the software on floppies), so all suggestions & info greatly recieved ;) When I think I've got my stick programming perfected, I'll post my setup here should anyone be interested.

I'm reading this as 'Stick, throttle and pedal programming proceeding satisfactorily. :)

Step Three - RTFM!! A work in progress. Great job on getting so much literature together in an all-inclusive reference library within the TAW2 installation. BIG time saver. Have dug out my original boxes for F22ADF, RSO and TAW so I've got a hard copy of the essential material by my side to read on the fly as required too.

Get the basics right . Setting up you 'pit, taxiing, take-off, lockup A-A, lockup A-G(mavericks, HARMS, JDAM's, forget the dumb bombs), instructing your wingmen, calling the base, landing. Don't forget we if and when you join MP there is a one on one Training School here run by Lt. Conol Hawkx.

I'm reading this as current situation progressing satisfactorily. :)

See my previous post.

I'm sure I'll be shouting for help with setting up comms too, so standby for another question bombardment shortly!

Do you have a headset (headphones and mic)? I have a Logitech G330 which has a USB connection. It's about US$30. All this might be a bit premature, but would be great to get you on TeamSpeak3 and have a chat with the team.

Keep up the good work and enjoy. You won't regret it. ;)

Do you have a headset (headphones and mic)? I have a Logitech G330 which has a USB connection. It's about US$30. All this might be a bit premature, but would be great to get you on TeamSpeak3 and have a chat with the team.

Keep up the good work and enjoy. You won't regret it. ;)

Wombat!

Will be getting some hours in tonight as Mrs.Bomber is off to bed early due to early work start tomorrow morning (21:30 is a little too early for me if it means going to bed to sleep ;) )

Yes, got a headset with mic (Saitek GH20). Use it a lot if doing flying at weekends and Mrs.Bomber is sleeping during the day due to being on nightshifts (she's a Nursing Sister at the local hospital).

Made sure it had a mic when purchased as I knew one day I'd end up flying online again at somepoint :)

Guess I need to start looking at TeamSpeak. Got any handy hints for setting it all up for good clear transmissions?

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Wombat!

Will be getting some hours in tonight as Mrs.Bomber is off to bed early due to early work start tomorrow morning (21:30 is a little too early for me if it means going to bed to sleep ;) )

:lol: Say no more ..... ;)

Yes, got a headset with mic (Saitek GH20). Use it a lot if doing flying at weekends ......... Made sure it had a mic when purchased as I knew one day I'd end up flying online again at somepoint :)

I'm reading this as has operational Headset installed and working. :thumbsup:

Guess I need to start looking at TeamSpeak. Got any handy hints for setting it all up for good clear transmissions?

Go the Hawkx "Total Air War 2.0 VFW School" here:

and see the link to TS3 there. Any problems post at the School Thread and Hawkx will be only too happy to help.

EDIT: I missed this one:

Which has a different, better(?) link to TS3.

I'm reading this as Installation of Teamspeak3 progressing. :)

Keep up the good work, Brig. Gen. Battie is most impressed .... ;)

@Tiger - fire away with the profile you've made, would be pleased to see how you've set things up.

Here is my profile, I just uploaded it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29618593/Total%20Air%20War.pr0

Most of it is annotated, should be seen in software. The profile presumes a few adjustments are made to the deadzones. This is required to get semi-automatic TVC to work. To conserve energy, it's disabled unless you are in Mode 2 (meant to be dogfight) or holding down the pinkie. TVC activates at extreme stick deflections only, and the deadzone allows for a small area where there's full surface deflection, but no TVC.

Required deadzone shifts are here (only Y and Z are important):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29618593/deadzones.png

Throttle deadzones allow for proper afterburner use and engine start/stop when crossing the idle detent, while still playing comfortably in 50-100. Since I had it occasionally activate unintended, it also only occurs when holding down the pinkie. You similarly use the pinkie to deploy landing gear and toggle airbrake (normally it works as a hold-down button), so an extreme landing can be initiated in one swift motion. The use of modes is minimal, as I occasionally forget to switch them, so prefer the consequences to be minimal and switching rare. Mode 1 is for single play and co-op, Mode 2 for dogfight (specifically MP or Quick Combat, not in a mission), Mode 3 for single play only. The difference is small, such as TVC being a bit more sensitive in dogfights, time controls being less sensitive in multiplay to prevent accidental use.

A drawback of this profile is that it's probably pretty high-wear on secondary controls (which use pots). So, while intending to do a full HOTAS, in practice I ended up still keeping the keyboard around for slower missions. Some commands like radio macros and jettisoning are therefore not assigned, and stick base rockers are almost unused, as the keyboard is often easier to reach.

Later I'll probably buy a programmable mini-keyboard and assign all these special keystrokes and macros to it, which is more compact and realistic than a computer keyboard, not as ridiculous as CH's printed "MFDs", and cheaper than a load of special panels. The holdup is that most cheap ones aren't programmable, and Logitech G13 is a bit too large and too expensive for something I'm going to drill and attach to the throttle block (the idea is taken from Warthog).

Unless you already use it, I recommend you download Saitek X65F software. It's the same software, but a newer version that suggested if you select X52Pro, and fully compatible with at least X52Pro. This software has a bit better functionality, such as actions upon activating a shiftstate, which in combination with custom shiftstates can prove a very powerful feature. Potentially it could allow for some pretty complex controls. I haven't made use of it yet, but nonetheless.

Here is my profile, I just uploaded it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29618593/Total%20Air%20War.pr0

Most of it is annotated, should be seen in software. The profile presumes a few adjustments are made to the deadzones. This is required to get semi-automatic TVC to work. To conserve energy, it's disabled unless you are in Mode 2 (meant to be dogfight) or holding down the pinkie. TVC activates at extreme stick deflections only, and the deadzone allows for a small area where there's full surface deflection, but no TVC.

Required deadzone shifts are here (only Y and Z are important):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29618593/deadzones.png

Throttle deadzones allow for proper afterburner use and engine start/stop when crossing the idle detent, while still playing comfortably in 50-100. Since I had it occasionally activate unintended, it also only occurs when holding down the pinkie. You similarly use the pinkie to deploy landing gear and toggle airbrake (normally it works as a hold-down button), so an extreme landing can be initiated in one swift motion. The use of modes is minimal, as I occasionally forget to switch them, so prefer the consequences to be minimal and switching rare. Mode 1 is for single play and co-op, Mode 2 for dogfight (specifically MP or Quick Combat, not in a mission), Mode 3 for single play only. The difference is small, such as TVC being a bit more sensitive in dogfights, time controls being less sensitive in multiplay to prevent accidental use.

A drawback of this profile is that it's probably pretty high-wear on secondary controls (which use pots). So, while intending to do a full HOTAS, in practice I ended up still keeping the keyboard around for slower missions. Some commands like radio macros and jettisoning are therefore not assigned, and stick base rockers are almost unused, as the keyboard is often easier to reach.

Later I'll probably buy a programmable mini-keyboard and assign all these special keystrokes and macros to it, which is more compact and realistic than a computer keyboard, not as ridiculous as CH's printed "MFDs", and cheaper than a load of special panels. The holdup is that most cheap ones aren't programmable, and Logitech G13 is a bit too large and too expensive for something I'm going to drill and attach to the throttle block (the idea is taken from Warthog).

Unless you already use it, I recommend you download Saitek X65F software. It's the same software, but a newer version that suggested if you select X52Pro, and fully compatible with at least X52Pro. This software has a bit better functionality, such as actions upon activating a shiftstate, which in combination with custom shiftstates can prove a very powerful feature. Potentially it could allow for some pretty complex controls. I haven't made use of it yet, but nonetheless.

Nice thread Tiger. Thanks mate. :thumbsup:

Hope to see you Sunday. ;)

Evening Gents!

Hope all is well in your respective corners of the world.

OK, still getting up to speed with the general setup of TAW2 and some flying training, but very interested in hitting MP with you all.

My two main restrictions are - time... I can be available for duty 22:30 GMT through to 02:00 GMT Monday to Sunday (**but see next point below). How does that fit in with the rest of you? Weekends may also open opportunities for flying between 07:30 GMT and 17:00 GMT, but this will be dependant on whether Mrs.Bomber is working or not (no work for her, no flying for me, as we barely get time together some weeks as it is!).

- regular attendance... the idealistic dreamer in me wants to say "any and every day, any and all the time", however work and family commitments bring me back down to earth with a thump. **My days free at the above times will vary from one week to the next.

I normally know what I'm doing a week in advance if this will help others with the know-how to get flights organized, but it can change at very short notice (though only once in a blue moon thank goodness).

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Firstly I have a saying: Family first, work second, hobbies third. Its got easier as I've got older (to my deep sadness in one instance): I am a widower and I'm retired. But I have kids and g'kids so they come first. You fly when it suits your circumstance. We tend to sit at the Air Combat Channel at TS3 (just checked Tiger's there now - sorry Tiger I should be in bed :( ) if we want a chat or are looking for a MP flight. I switch my headphones to my speakers, so if somebody drops in they can yell for me. Otherwise its tuning in at our regular flight times. The EU Friendly MP Flight time would suit you I think. [sunday 5.30pm GMT].

Hope that helps ........ goodnight ...... Gees its 6.12am! ;)

Tigershark said:

Posted Today, 03:59 AM

Do you have the basics set up? If my connection works, I can be ready once in a while, including at the moment of typing this. It won't be much though. Otherwise, big fly-ins are Wednesday and Sunday, and Sunday should approximately fit. Other than that, it's individual meetings, big serious missions require more people and someone experienced in the mix.

Keep up the good work, Brig. Gen. Battie is most impressed .... ;)

Brig. Gen. Battie :icon_salute3: ,

Sir,

Progress report on Rob "Bomber" Henderson: Fundamental Proceedures training flights completed successfully, including manual air refuelling. Free Flight missions now underway.

TS3 software is available (downloaded) but not yet configured for optimal performance with headset/mic equipment.

New Saitek programming software installed as recommended by TigerShark (thanks for the profile to examine too!). Custom controller profile currently undergoing final tweaking! :thumbsup:

Some questions (for one and all)...

Your options setup for game difficulty - do you fly at EASY // MEDIUM // HARD settings?

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Do these settings have an effect only on single player missions, or do they effect MP flights too?

Fundamental Proceedures training flights completed successfully,

including manual air refuelling.

:jawdrop: That's very impressive. :thumbsup:

Free Flight missions now underway.

IMHO they are only for new pilots to TAW/TAW2.0, just for fun or testing some TAW2.0 flight procedures(eg firing weapons, trying flight maneuvers, etc)

TS3 software is available (downloaded) but not yet configured for optimal performance with headset/mic equipment.

Why not come over to the TS3 Meeting Room sometime?

I'll be there around Sunday 9.00am your time for a few hours, or maybe drop in for our Pre-EU Friendly MP Flight time on Sunday 6.30pm tonight your time.

I'm reading this as TS3 installed but testing yet to be undertaken. :)

. Saitek programming software installed as recommended by TigerShark (thanks for the profile to examine too!). Custom controller profile currently undergoing final tweaking! :thumbsup:

I'm reading this as X52 profile working and usable. :thumbsup:

Some questions (for one and all)...

Your options setup for game difficulty - do you fly at EASY // MEDIUM // HARD settings and Do these settings have an effect only on single player missions, or do they effect MP flights too?

Oh ..... that's easy .....its EASY. ;) It affects both SP and MP but is always easy (pun ... sorry) to change it in the Options Menu, but we all fly in EASY as, IMHO, it too hard :rolleyes: in any other option.

We're probably getting to the big step, that's if you intend to fly MP: the Internet connection. And in my opinion you are more than a ready pilot for that. The on-line setup is almost different for every system. :( and will probably need some 'one on one' help, normally on TS3. But you start it all first by: reading this, then follow **** thread:

Keep in touch, its going well. :thumbsup:

EDIT: ****. Sorry guys this is not my area of expertise. What is/are the the best link(s) for instructing Bomber's on-line for installation of TAW2.0 MP?

Keep in touch, its going well. :thumbsup:

Wombat! :icon_salute3:

Will keep hacking away at the various training missions while out of standard MP meet times. All hours behind the stick help make for better results when the proper shooting starts! ;) (at least I hope so! :lol: )

My biggest problem right now is my lack of finesse during taxiing :blush: I used to have an X-45 (with the X-36 prior to that), so I was quite happy with using the rocker swtich on the throttle for rudder/steering controls. When I upgraded to the X-52pro I indulged in a set of Pro Pedals at the same time. It took a few days to get used to but I've never had to use the twist axis on the X-52 stick for steering/rudder so far - up till now! Coordinating the pedal toe brakes with the throttle in one hand and the twist/steering in the other is a little like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time.... only with a third hand thrown in to scratch your backside with at the same time :lol:

Had some performance issues (FPS slow downs, especially when head down looking at the various MFD screens making MFD button clicking rather painful), and reading through the various threads here I found the suggestion about swapping the files in the nostalgia mod folder "3" with the default TAW2 install folder "3". VERY noticable performance increase experienced, and overall better look to the graphics. Can also use 1440x900 screen res with dgvoodoo glide wrapper now (was poor performance with anything above 1024x768 before hand).

I'm a very happy pilot sitting in my F-22 cockpit now :thumbsup:

OK, easy it is! Have been on hard so far, but guess I probably wouldn't feel any difference until something started shooting at me! :)

Will look at configuring TS3 tomorrow (Sunday). Not sure if I'll get online for the Sunday MP session as I think family commitments will put paid to that (at least for this weekend) ;) I think the 01:00 session on Thursday morning may actually fit in better with the usual weeks schedule!

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Wombat! :icon_salute3:

Will keep hacking away at the various training missions while out of standard MP meet times. All hours behind the stick help make for better results when the proper shooting starts! ;) (at least I hope so! :lol: )

My biggest problem right now is my lack of finesse during taxiing :blush: I used to have an X-45 (with the X-36 prior to that), so I was quite happy with using the rocker swtich on the throttle for rudder/steering controls. When I upgraded to the X-52pro I indulged in a set of Pro Pedals at the same time. It took a few days to get used to but I've never had to use the twist axis on the X-52 stick for steering/rudder so far - up till now! Coordinating the pedal toe brakes with the throttle in one hand and the twist/steering in the other is a little like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time.... only with a third hand thrown in to scratch your backside with at the same time :lol:

Had some performance issues (FPS slow downs, especially when head down looking at the various MFD screens making MFD button clicking rather painful), and reading through the various threads here I found the suggestion about swapping the files in the nostalgia mod folder "3" with the default TAW2 install folder "3". VERY noticable performance increase experienced, and overall better look to the graphics. Can also use 1440x900 screen res with dgvoodoo glide wrapper now (was poor performance with anything above 1024x768 before hand).

I'm a very happy pilot sitting in my F-22 cockpit now :thumbsup:

OK, easy it is! Have been on hard so far, but guess I probably wouldn't feel any difference until something started shooting at me! :)

Will look at configuring TS3 tomorrow (Sunday). Not sure if I'll get online for the Sunday MP session as I think family commitments will put paid to that (at least for this weekend) ;) I think the 01:00 session on Thursday morning may actually fit in better with the usual weeks schedule!

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Sorry Bomber, but please re-read my edited post as I posted it too early before proof reading it. Didn't expect you to be up at 2.44am. :o You may wish to change your above post which I haven't read yet.

Forgot to ask - with the MP sessions.... how long (on average) do they go on for? For example with the Sunday flight starting @18:30 GMT, what time do you guys normally throw the towel in?

....now I really must sign off and hunker down for some Zzzzz time as it's coming up for 03:00 GMT :blink:

Whoever came up with the idea to create TAW2, you are a genius :icon_bow: I am enjoying returning to this sim far too much!

(I just hope no-one does the same with Innerloop/Eidos's Joint Strike Fighter one day, otherwise I'm going to be in serious old school flight sim heaven! :lol: )

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Bomber, please be aware I(we) are using this thread and your involvement in setting up a composite set of instruction to be used by other potential MP fliers. It been my concern there has not been a set of step by step set of instructions previously available. However others here my not agree with that. ;) So I hope you don't mind the approach that is being adopted with you. I'm sure you don't as you are being taken step by step through a process which IMHO should have been available previously. This is in particular with regard to the On-line MP installation for TAW2.0.

Please don't feel that you are expected to follow though with any of you involvement in your installation of TAW2.0. You obviously can pull-out at any time, and we understand there is no requirement by you to proceed to the ultimate TAW2.0 MP installation. But you seem to have that respect for TAW that we all have here. :thumbsup:

All the best, Wombat.

EDIT: I was going to PM this to you ..... but what the heck, there's no secrets here. ;)

Forgot to ask - with the MP sessions.... how long (on average) do they go on for? For example with the Sunday flight starting @18:30 GMT, what time do you guys normally throw the towel in?

It varies and principally depends on how much time each flier has. If somebody say I've only go a short time (1 hr maybe, maybe less) then we'll fly a short mission first. Fliers drop out maybe after each mission, some get called away during a mission so they make a "hole in the ground" :lol: We're there to cater to all who turn up. Overheard recently, "JOHN!" ......"Yes dear?" ......... "If Brig. Gen Battie can spare you, YOUR DINNER'S GOING COLD!!!! ..... :lol:

Whoever came up with the idea to create TAW2, you are a genius :icon_bow: I am enjoying returning to this sim far too much!

We're missing him (Home Fries) at to moment ....... some Computer Power Supply issue. Come on HF, get it fixed ....... I'm driving the rest mad in the air ...... truthfully ..... :rofl:

Wombat

Right. I've had a PM from Nephilim regarding installation procedures for getting on-line with TAW2.0 MP. It is basically this:

1. Go to this Forum: http://portforward.com/ and familiarize yourself with Port Forwarding.. You will need to know your Router Make and Model G

2. Go to the "Router List" at the top left of the page.

3. Select your Router from the list then select Janes F-18 (Same Ports TAW uses).

4. Follow the guide to setup Port Forward.

If you run into ANY trouble please post on the PF.com forums (I am an Admin there "Gerald") or one of the other Admins will gladly help you out. If you would like to get help from us here at CombatSim, just post here at this thread and explain the best you can, but please provide the following:

a. Make and model of your Router.

b. Software Firewall used.

c. Any Internet Security Software used.

d. Whether you are using DSL or Cable.

Be aware you can also use the Port Checker from PF.com and test your ports. If your Port is Open Good if not please post and as give much information as you can at either Forum....

If you get an Open Port please familiarize yourself with the "Procedure For Joining a MP game in TAW" by following this guide at the http://taw.wikia.com/wiki/Initiating_Multiplayer_Sessions

At any time you elect to join TAW2.0 MP session, the address (IP) for the Host will be given to you.

As I have explained previously, these set of instruction are new and untried. But we have to start somewhere. So ...... "Bomber the Beta Tester" (rather like that ;) ) ...... please give them ago and hopefully we will all learn something. :thumbsup:

Please be aware others may add or make suggestions regarding this beta installation procedure, so keep an eye out here for further input.

Wombat

EDIT: Edits are shown in "red"

Hi Wombat :)

Bomber, please be aware I(we) are using this thread and your involvement in setting up a composite set of instruction to be used by other potential MP fliers. It been my concern there has not been a set of step by step set of instructions previously available. However others here my not agree with that. ;) So I hope you don't mind the approach that is being adopted with you. I'm sure you don't as you are being taken step by step through a process which IMHO should have been available previously. This is in particular with regard to the On-line MP installation for TAW2.0.

Please don't feel that you are expected to follow though with any of you involvement in your installation of TAW2.0.

Not a problem as far as I'm concerned mate!

You obviously can pull-out at any time
and I thought only Mrs.Bomber said things like that to me! ;)

and we understand there is no requirement by you to proceed to the ultimate TAW2.0 MP installation. But you seem to have that respect for TAW that we all have here. :thumbsup:

I'd like to think I'm here with TAW2 for the long run Wombat. I used to fly IL-2 online a lot (with the Casual Pilots Squadron - hence the CPS tag) and thoroughly enjoyed it with coop missions. I missed out with MP on TAW & ADF first time around, and missed the SP element of these games tremendously when XP refused to run them successfully on my system.... discovering TAW2 is a big slice of happy added to my flight sim hobby :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber