Message for Tigershark

Wombat1940

Missed you today mate. Looks like you're still having problems.

Just for my non-technical understanding:

Do normal SP missions (not campaigns) work ok?

Is it your Internet connection the problem, poor d/l, u/l speeds, ISP not up to scratch, your modem, router?

Is Teamspeak3 a problem?

Its just that I could never try and evaluate the technical problems if it were me, and it should the same for you.

Anybody who is up at 5.00am in the morning to play TAW2.0 MP deserves better. "We takes our hats off to you". :thumbsup:

Hope to here from you Sunday night 8.30pm your time for the EU Friendly MP Flights. Eagle's made a super mission.

SP missions are fine. Campaigns other than Highland are mostly fine too, I had occasional crashes the last time as well. That has something to do with terrain/graphics, not network issues.

Network 10/1 Mbit, should be enough for the game, has to be something with the router-modem. I'd buy a new one, but don't want to invest in a dead technology, soon as my contract runs out I'm switching to a direct Ethernet ISP and won't need it.

Everything worked the last few times, IDK why it failed now. Might be that it fails to switch to DMZ mode without a few nudges and hard restarts. Could you come online in Teamspeak now (you seem to be online) so TAW connectivity can be tested again?

The issue I had with Teamspeak is very silly really. A couple times I forgot to switch to TAW profile after restarting the PC, so didn't realize for a good while the button assigned to talk did nothing.

SP missions are fine. Campaigns other than Highland are mostly fine too, I had occasional crashes the last time as well. That has something to do with terrain/graphics, not network issues.

Network 10/1 Mbit, should be enough for the game, has to be something with the router-modem. I'd buy a new one, but don't want to invest in a dead technology, soon as my contract runs out I'm switching to a direct Ethernet ISP and won't need it.

Everything worked the last few times, IDK why it failed now. Might be that it fails to switch to DMZ mode without a few nudges and hard restarts. Could you come online in Teamspeak now (you seem to be online) so TAW connectivity can be tested again?

The issue I had with Teamspeak is very silly really. A couple times I forgot to switch to TAW profile after restarting the PC, so didn't realize for a good while the button assigned to talk did nothing.

Your acknowledgment "doing a silly thing" makes me feel better. I do them all the time! ;)

It looks like you have it all in hand. Its 3.13am with me and I need to go the bed, so will have to give TS3 a miss. Sorry about that. But be there 9.30pm Sunday your time and we can check it all then. Besides Eagle's a lot more useful than me. ;)

Yeah, I see. However, just to say, it's not the kind of problem that's solved well half an hour before the T-time. I just need to check with someone if it works or not a few times. It would help if someone came online.

Doesn't matter if you know less about port forwarding than me, it's not a settings problem, but a buggy hardware one. I don't plan on flying, so no need to fire up the stick.

edit: Nevermind, checked, doesn't work.

OK, it doesn't work.

Like I said, buying new hardware isn't much of an option, as I won't need it with the ISP I'll switch to in some time. If switching sooner I'd have to still pay for both, and faster network service isn't something I can make much use of in the summer anyway.

So far I'll try beating the dead horse a bit more to see if it runs again. If not, perhaps my next fly-in might only be this fall. But it used to work, so I'm disinclined to give up just yet.

OK, it doesn't work.

Like I said, buying new hardware isn't much of an option, as I won't need it with the ISP I'll switch to in some time. If switching sooner I'd have to still pay for both, and faster network service isn't something I can make much use of in the summer anyway.

So far I'll try beating the dead horse a bit more to see if it runs again. If not, perhaps my next fly-in might only be this fall. But it used to work, so I'm disinclined to give up just yet.

I'm up on TS3 now if you want to try again. Is there any chance trying to get cheaper device off of ebay or such?

I'll probably have switched ISPs by the time it arrives. Besides, it still works most of the time. It does seem to depend on who I'm trying to connect to, and with better luck connecting to domains than IPs, but that's probably just a coincidence.

Well I'm glad it works at least sometimes..! :)

Is there any way we can help to further identify the problem?

If you have the possibility, maybe it might be useful to try to connect to a TAW game from a laptop/another PC using the same internet setup?

(To clarify: you try to join a game hosted by me/neph from a different computer, than the one you are using right now?)

- If your router/modem isn't tied to the internet in your house, have you tried that same router with a different internet connection? (for example at friends house?)

Sorry, don't know what more to say, can't help if it's a bug with the hardware, but it's not that easy to really determine that the router is messing up, and not the installed protocols on the computer/software errors?

I'll try it from a second PC and a laptop for a change.

But I don't think it will change much, I didn't as much as restart the PC, much less change any settings between some of the times it worked and the times it didn't. Besides, my OS settings are most likely fine, I keep a very clean OS. While I know the router is bugged, it crashes and freezes if I try to set up port forwarding, it sometimes won't open web UI, it bugs even worse with updated firmware.

Buy yourself a router you can flash to Linux, much better.

Because then for the future you can use it is a wireless access point and or a network switch without the router options...

Or bridging two locations wirelessly, which is HEAPS more stable than using a wireless network card :P

So if you buy the right one, it is far from dead technology.

I already have dedicated Cisco long-reach WAP, router, two switches, connecting three PCs, a file/torrent server, two networking TVs and a few in-and-out laptops and phones. No need for more generic network equipment. It's just that until recently the best megabit/$ internet speeds were offered here as ADSL and DOCSIS, and free equipment they give out just isn't very good. The only trouble it's giving is with TAW, however, so I'm not that pressed to replace it. And I'm moving to direct FTTH/GbE soon, which provides far lower ping and better speeds, so any investment in router-modems at this point is wasted.