KAIA Expansion

DrKevDog

Last November, Prince Sultan signed two contracts worth SR27.1 billion with Saudi Binladin Group to carry out the KAIA expansion project, which includes the construction of a new terminal and infrastructure facilities. In effect, King Abdulaziz International Airport is expanding and we should also accommodate the changes. The current airfield has 3 runways exactly as we have in TAW. I have expanded to six runways by adding a second airfield model in an effort to apply/test Multitexturing and targeting parameters.

I would like some help in testing the cg_targ.c functions and to see if the targeting nodes are behaving normally. The AWACS mode has automatically accommodated the extra model by incorporating a second airport icon at the one King Abdulaziz Airfield. I will get the new 2-airport, 6-runway model to whoever is interested in testing this for me. A Multiplayer mode would be ideal, as it would add additional traffic to the 2-airports and more targets could be destroyed to test the function.

F222011-05-2315-59-40-44.jpg

Let me know if any is interested.

Last November, Prince Sultan signed two contracts worth SR27.1 billion with Saudi Binladin Group to carry out the KAIA expansion project, which includes the construction of a new terminal and infrastructure facilities. In effect, King Abdulaziz International Airport is expanding and we should also accommodate the changes. The current airfield has 3 runways exactly as we have in TAW. I have expanded to six runways by adding a second airfield model in an effort to apply/test Multitexturing and targeting parameters.

I would like some help in testing the cg_targ.c functions and to see if the targeting nodes are behaving normally. The AWACS mode has automatically accommodated the extra model by incorporating a second airport icon at the one King Abdulaziz Airfield. I will get the new 2-airport, 6-runway model to whoever is interested in testing this for me. A Multiplayer mode would be ideal, as it would add additional traffic to the 2-airports and more targets could be destroyed to test the function.

Let me know if any is interested.

Well! How could we of the "TAW2.0 MP VWF Squadron" refuse. Here's our chance to show our appreciation of those great guys of the "SSD something, I can't understand a word of it" thread.

In all seriousness it has to be a must for us. Let's discuss it further at our Pre-Friendly Flight MP Session this Thursday 12.30am GMT and Sunday 6.00pm GMT.

We will be in touch shortly DocKev. :thumbsup:

Of course this prevents nobody from applying for it separately to run in SP mode for which I am doing now.

Mark me down DrKev. Do I get it at Box.net? :unsure:

Yeah, we would definitely be up for testing this!

I believe the most simple solution would be to set up an 'Airfield Expansion' mod package for every tester to install.

The mod package would ensure the airfield is recognized and implemented in terrain files and such.

I could then load up a mission starting at the airbase to check stuff like

- heading-markers in the HUD for taxiways

- buildings being targetable in padlock mode

- buildings getting nammed properly

Just a question, does the airbase behave as two separate airfields (with two towers to give commands to free up traffic?)

And finally, if it will count as a secondary airfield, what will it be called?

Looking forward to this!

:)

Cheers!

Count me out. I'´m thinking of organising some sort of protest on behalf of the people on the west side of the airport who have had a runway built straight through their homes.

:rofl:

Ow yeah.... Oops....... :D

Still, I want to see if we can upgrade current airfields successfully :thumbsup:

Count me out. I'´m thinking of organising some sort of protest on behalf of the people on the west side of the airport who have had a runway built straight through their homes.

Conscientious objectors, they're everywhere these days :rolleyes: Not to worry, West Runway 34W, is unusable and, until I modify the Block 3 coordinates, sits above the homes in that area and is OFF LIMITS to military pilots :trustme:

The file is in the new folder: AD/KAIA_Airfield_Expansion

Eagle_Flight asked:

I could then load up a mission starting at the airbase to check stuff like

- heading-markers in the HUD for taxiways

- buildings being targetable in padlock mode

- buildings getting nammed properly

Just a question, does the airbase behave as two separate airfields (with two towers to give commands to free up traffic?)

And finally, if it will count as a secondary airfield, what will it be called?

Thanks EF, that's exactly the stuff I am hoping to get checked and confirmed.

AWACS automatically incorporated the extra airbase under the already existing King AbdulAziz International Airfield name and added a second airbase icon under the one KAIA name so I suspect this is how it will be handled. I have done very little testing of this thus far.

Let me give my first feedback:

Installation worked fine :) I backed up the original file, and pasted the download. All 6 runways appear in game. The one over the city is just a hologram. ;) However I will only get assigned that runway when asking for landing. My wingman almost fell for the hologram, lucky I told him to knock it off, and he initiated Full - AB and climbed through the runway back to safety ^^

The airfield nr 2 (new addition) responded with 'Khartoum' as the designated name.

The airfield nr 1 (original) responded with 'Old Jeddah'

The airfield located at 'Old Jeddah' on the map responded with 'Al Madinah' (the small airfield in the vale a bit further south)

I couldn't get a mission started when I placed a flight at 'Khartoum' - it said 'airbase name 'KHARTOUM' not recognized in MDL file... Same for 'Old Jeddah'

---

A Control Run showed - The king abdul aziz airfield will respond with its proper name with the original file installed.

The same goes fot 'Old Jeddah' - it will respond with 'Old Jeddah'

Otherwise, Taxi was 'successful' on autopilot when I placed the mission at the airfield "King Abdul Aziz international"

The only problem: it skipped two perfectly good runways (34R and 34C) just to taxi all the way over at 34L - Where the other F22 two-ship was also headed.

I was expecting a better utilization of the runways.. I guess this is a problem with the game-engine though? It would be interesting to find out: How does the airfield behave when you have multiple flights inbound for landing and ready for takeoff? Will you have a runway for landing and a separate for takeoff? Or TAW remain true to it's ways and only let us use 1 runway...?

---

Also the buildings seem to be called correctly, didn't check all the names, but a few of them, and they look okay!

I have also notices an issue with the taxi-ways of the additional airfield disappearing every now and then. It seems to depend on the direction from which I'm looking at the taxi-way......

The airfield nr 2 (new addition) responded with 'Khartoum' as the designated name.

The airfield nr 1 (original) responded with 'Old Jeddah'

The airfield located at 'Old Jeddah' on the map responded with 'Al Madinah' (the small airfield in the vale a bit further south)

I couldn't get a mission started when I placed a flight at 'Khartoum' - it said 'airbase name 'KHARTOUM' not recognized in MDL file... Same for 'Old Jeddah'

---

A Control Run showed - The king abdul aziz airfield will respond with its proper name with the original file installed.

The same goes fot 'Old Jeddah' - it will respond with 'Old Jeddah'

Interesting as well as encouraging. Initially the information we had indicated that the campaign.trg coordinates define the node; name, type and nation affiliation, perhaps what you have discovered disputes that information, especially considering there were no changes in the campaign.trg file. It's not yet completely clear what is the process TAW uses to assign these functions, however, it appears obvious that the airfields are handled differently.

If we look at the campaign.trg file we can see that the order of airfield placements in the file reflects the change in name designations you outlined above:

rem "Airbases_SAUDI"

126 115 398 0 "Ash Sharma"

126 172 317 0 "Yanbu al Bahr"

123 200 258 0 "King Abdul Aziz international"

129 199 256 0 "Jeddah old airport"

127 206 319 0 "Al madinah"

126 211 257 0 "Mecca"

122 219 258 0 "Taif 1"

126 221 260 0 "Taif 2"

130 275 195 0 "Khamis Mushayt"

127 269 164 0 "Jizan"

134 351 328 0 "King Khalid International"

124 348 329 0 "Ban Ban dispersal"

126 346 330 0 "Abdul Aziz"

124 347 335 0 "Thumaha dispersal"

124 361 330 0 "240 dispersal"

124 311 328 0 "320 dispersal"

126 311 317 0 "Al Kharj 1"

126 313 318 0 "Al Kharj 2"

127 338 396 0 "King Khalid Military C1"

126 339 397 0 "King Khalid Military C2"

126 303 351 0 "Buraydah"

126 353 161 0 "Ash Sharawrah"

126 268 190 0 "Abha"

126 277 218 0 "Bisha"

It appears the game acknowledged the new airfield and shifted the index order by one. I suspect the 'airbase name 'xyz' not recognized in MDL file...is related to the index shift. One would think only the Saudi airbases would be involved and perhaps the peculiar and unique placement of 'Khartoum' in the "Cities_SUDAN" section of campaign.trg, is somehow responsible:

rem "Cities_SUDAN"

90 62 134 0 "Omdurman"

91 63 134 0 ""

92 64 134 0 ""

93 65 134 0 "KHARTOUM"

94 62 133 0 ""

95 65 132 0 ""

96 64 131 0 ""

131 64 132 0 "Khartoum military"

64 162 220 0 ""

65 162 219 0 ""

66 161 219 0 ""

67 161 220 0 "Bur Sudan"

68 83 110 0 "Wad Madani"

68 145 127 0 "Kassala"

68 95 178 0 "Atbarah"

68 94 174 0 "Ad Damir"

68 21 84 0 "Al Ubayyd"

68 127 96 0 "Al Qadari"

68 57 83 0 "Kusti"

68 44 187 0 "Merowe"

68 95 185 0 "Berber"

Also the buildings seem to be called correctly, didn't check all the names, but a few of them, and they look okay!

I have also notices an issue with the taxi-ways of the additional airfield disappearing every now and then. It seems to depend on the direction from which I'm looking at the taxi-way......

Great, lets keep gathering the data :thumbsup: