MP Sessions - basic flying tips.....

Wombat1940

I flew yesterday in a mutiplay session where we had a couple of new pilot to TAW2.0 Multiplay.

There were certain things I take for granted which I have learned (maybe the hard way) that would help them in flying multiplay. Not the normal things like starting your engines or releasing your brake before taxiing, but things like locating you Lead when in your holding pen or what happens if I crash into my fellow wingman on the ground, etc. If you want learn to fly your bird this is not the thread. Go to our VFW Training School here.

Here are some that I use:

TAXIING

As you strap yourself in select EMCON 2 PUSH 1.

>

Check bottom left corner of your screen and get your package flight number and communicate it to the rest of the flight package: eg. "Battie in the 'pit, number 4".

>

Remember only the Lead can communicate with the Tower.

>

Select A-G weapon (cannon) This will show the names of the other pilots in your pack when viewed though your canopy.

>

Select <F5>. This will give you an internal padlock view of your Lead or number 1 wingman if you are Lead.

Press <z> to cycle through the internal padlock views of the other pilots in your package noting their physical location at the base.

In the top left hand corner of the screen you will see your package name (eg. Wolf 0) and each wingman's number.

>

Select <F7> then <KP1> to zoom out to get a birds-eye view of the base as positioned immediately above your location.

You can pan around to see the field, the runways, your flight package, etc.

If able, note of the runway numbers and how you would get to each when you commence taxiing.

>

Return to your upfront cockpit view.

Do any tweaks to your set up.

Press <SHF> <G> to put the Defence MFD and Attack MFD in your HMD.

[i change my MFD's to LANTIRN in the immediate right. Auto-pilot in the top right, Weapon Image in the top, System Status in the top left with the rest the normal default setting. this changes for A-A cannon engagements, but suggest your cover that at our training school.]

[i like using WIDE view]

>

Close the canopy.

>

When the Tower give authority to taxi, wait your turn. Lead commences followed by number 2, 3 and 4. If as a wingman you are well away from the identified runway or on the other side of the runway to the Lead, you may commence taxiing earlier but not don't get out of order when arriving on hold on the taxiway.

>

Remember only the Lead can Auto taxi.

>

On the ground we have "no collision" enacted, so if you taxi through another plane/ground vehicle you don't blow up. However buildings are exempt from this enactment.

>

Don't use <SHF> <q> then <e> to exit yourself from the mission. It exits everybody!

There will be others ...... and I haven't even got in the air. ;)

Wombat, this is great stuff! I see an integrated multiplayer "how to" sticky in the near future, including ports, connecting, and interaction like this. Could make for a great wiki article as well.

One thing I might add with the EMCON 2 Push 2, is that everybody should be E2P1 if they want to hear the tower comms. Go to E2P2 on climbout. However, if you're not a flight lead and you just care about getting into the air, E2P2 works just as well.

Also, the canopy will close automatically once the jet taxis to a certain speed. Either that, or I've been flying a chainsaw convertible in MP for the past couple of years. :ph43r:

Wombat, this is great stuff! I see an integrated multiplayer "how to" sticky in the near future, including ports, connecting, and interaction like this. Could make for a great wiki article as well.

One thing I might add with the EMCON 2 Push 2, is that everybody should be E2P1 if they want to hear the tower comms. Go to E2P2 on climbout. However, if you're not a flight lead and you just care about getting into the air, E2P2 works just as well.

Also, the canopy will close automatically once the jet taxis to a certain speed. Either that, or I've been flying a chainsaw convertible in MP for the past couple of years. :ph43r:

The boss is lurking! :rofl: Please refresh your screen. Eagle and I are doing an edit of it now over TS3. Please add your input here it needs to be right! So the more input the better. :thumbsup:

However IMHO the pilot should close it. The auto close is backup?

I flew yesterday in a mutiplay session where we had a couple of new pilot to TAW2.0 Multiplay.

There were certain things I take for granted which I have learned (maybe the hard way) that would help them in flying multiplay. Not the normal things like starting your engines or releasing your brake before taxiing, but things like locating you Lead when in your holding pen or what happens if I crash into my fellow wingman on the ground, etc.....

As a newcomer to TAW2 MP, I'd like to add a few points. Some are things I've learnt "on the fly" in 3 online missions, while others are a few things that may help to produce a smoother & successful flight :)

When you arrive in the TAW2 online world, announce your arrival to the host (usually mission lead pilot) by saying:

"<your callsign> in the pit"

In the lower left of your screen, you'll see a clock (local time in the mission environment), and underneath that a number written as either two, three or four.

This is your position in the flight - your wingman number. Use this to work out your taxiing order to the active runway and for your position on the runway prior to takeoff.

It never does any harm to acknowledge a mission related command or request from the lead pilot by saying "copy". This way he knows you're up to speed on the task at hand, as do your fellow wingmen.

Don't know your EMCON status required for mission? - ask the flight lead.

Want to confirm your task within the mission? - ask the flight lead.

Remember the flight lead is there to coordinate the mission and see it through to a successful conclusion. He has a LOT of things to keep track of at any one time (trust me, tried flying as flight lead in MP already!). If you see an enemy contact on your sensor displays (MFD's) - , missiles, aircraft, ground or naval - and no-one else has mentioned it, CALL IT OUT YOURSELF!

If he knows, then fine! If he's missed it, your alert may have just saved your flight from disaster.

Think of it like this - IF IN DOUBT, SHOUT!

Remember the missions are a TEAM EFFORT. Your team is under the command of the flight lead. He calls the action - formation, altitude, airpseed, EMCON state, navigation, threat detection and prioritizing and when and when NOT to engage the enemy, and when to disengage.

Don't run off on your own to find some action, and don't go weapons free unless you're cleared to do so. What you feel needs to be done as far as throwing explosives at the enemy may not be what the flight lead wants or needs in order to complete the mission task.

As mentioned above, call out your contacts. If you feel you really must do something aggressive, ask permission to engage but be man enough to back down and stay on the designated mission if the flight lead refuses to let you go ;)

Once all the fun is over and you're heading back to your airfield and if no runway heading has been specified for you to land on, it's a good idea to declare that you're on finals along with the runway heading you're aiming for. Once you've landed, come to a full stop on the runway (or your mission stats won't count for a successful mission) - then taxi off the runway and let the rest of your wingmen know that the runway is "clear".

As always, comments & suggestions welcome! :thumbsup::icon_salute3:

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

Excellent post, Bomber. Two things I would append:

When you arrive in the TAW2 online world, announce your arrival to the host (usually mission lead pilot) by saying:

I would go as far as to call yourself "In the Pit" along with your position (i.e. lead, two, three, four). Also, to be "in the pit" make sure you can see the pit. Often you can see the world around you, but you're not fully loaded until you can see your MFDs.

It never does any harm to acknowledge a mission related command or request from the lead pilot by saying "copy". This way he knows you're up to speed on the task at hand, as do your fellow wingmen.

Hear! Hear! If you want to sound cool (the ultimate goal of every aviator), you can say "Roger" to acknowledge that you heard and understood the command, or "Wilco" (short for Will Comply), that says you acknowledge that you heard and understood, and you will carry it out.

Caveat: Don't say Roger Wilco. Wilco implies Roger as a package deal, and RW just sounds uncool.

The ball is rolling. :thumbsup: That what this thread is all about. I'm surprise HF hasn't been more critical (naturally it would be constructively) about the opening post.

Are the guidelines so perfect?

Example: Is the term "wingman number" the correct term to use?

Remember we want this ultimate guide to go out as an instructional directive that can be accepted by the majority. Yes to be tweaked, but be basically right and what we like to do here at TAW2.0 MP. So lets hear it all, from all, experienced or new, so the guide helps all multi-play pilots in the future.

Not interested? Don't care? So be it. But don't ever say "Its just those pen pushers again ..... like our Brigadier .....they don't understand".

I think you say it to the Lead and others in the package. There is no host :unsure: when your in the 'pit. This is virtual reality, otherwise why do I get sweaty palms .....

In the lower left of your screen, you'll see a clock (local time in the mission environment), and underneath that a number written as either two, three or four.

This is your position in the flight - your wingman number. Use this to work out your taxiing order to the active runway and for your position on the runway prior to takeoff.

I like the clock reference. Are you suggesting we reword the guide or a straight replacement?

:thumbsup: But there are other brevity codes, "affirmative", "roger", etc .

Are you suggesting we use those as well?

If so what are they?

Should there be a limited number?

Personally I'd love to get that "3, 2, 1, take-off" right.

Don't know your EMCON status required for mission? - ask the flight lead.

Is there such a thing or is it as directed in the flight by the Lead?

Want to confirm your task within the mission? - ask the flight lead.

Sorry don't agree. You should know it from the pre-flight briefing (if there is one :rolleyes: but won't go there at the moment ....) and if need be, note it on your kneepad. Sorry, IMHO.

Remember the flight lead is there to coordinate the mission and see it through to a successful conclusion. He has a LOT of things to keep track of at any one time (trust me, tried flying as flight lead in MP already!). If you see an enemy contact on your sensor displays (MFD's) - , missiles, aircraft, ground or naval - and no-one else has mentioned it, CALL IT OUT YOURSELF!

If he knows, then fine! If he's missed it, your alert may have just saved your flight from disaster.

Think of it like this - IF IN DOUBT, SHOUT!

JUST LOVE IT! :rofl: This should be in the IN-FLIGHT section of the guide (draft yet to be written), but I wouldn't what it too wordy ..... and that coming from Wombat. :lol:

Remember the missions are a TEAM EFFORT. Your team is under the command of the flight lead. He calls the action - formation, altitude, airpseed, EMCON state, navigation, threat detection and prioritizing and when and when NOT to engage the enemy, and when to disengage.

Don't run off on your own to find some action, and don't go weapons free unless you're cleared to do so. What you feel needs to be done as far as throwing explosives at the enemy may not be what the flight lead wants or needs in order to complete the mission task.

As mentioned above, call out your contacts. If you feel you really must do something aggressive, ask permission to engage but be man enough to back down and stay on the designated mission if the flight lead refuses to let you go ;)

I like this, (some will not, however) but its really an attitudinal thing. Something that is a generic guide on how we fly. That is, how some of us want to fly. ;) I think it should be here with the other game play guideline.

Once all the fun is over and you're heading back to your airfield and if no runway heading has been specified for you to land on, it's a good idea to declare that you're on finals along with the runway heading you're aiming for. Once you've landed, come to a full stop on the runway (or your mission stats won't count for a successful mission) - then taxi off the runway and let the rest of your wingmen know that the runway is "clear".

Should be part of the LANDING section of the guide (draft yet to be written). I have it noted.

Cheers!

Rob, CPS_Bomber

Thanks Bomber. Interested to get your feedback and from others of course.

The ball is rolling. That what this thread is all about. I'm surprise HF hasn't been more critical (naturally it would be constructively) about the opening post.

Are the guidelines so perfect?

Example: Is the term "wingman number" the correct term to use?

This I guess is a descriptive term for the number allocation. Actual verbal use within the cockpit would be like "Wolf 2", "Wolf 3", "Voodoo 2" or just plain "2", "3" etc.

In much aviation literature and TV documentaries I've seen it described as being the "No.2 slot", "No3 slot" and so on (for example aerobatic teams such as the RAF's Red Arrows).

Also for example thinking of combat reports, it's often seen as "....Flt Lt ABC was flying as No2 to Sqn Ldr DEF when they encountered a flight of..."

I think the main direction on the issue of wingman number is the availability of correct guidance to allow newcomers to TAW2 to positively and quickly identify who they are within their flight package while performing engine start prior to taxi. Overall, once in the air it does seem more common for all pilots to refer to each other by their tags/callsigns, but knowing your number within your flight can be essential for completing your assigned task within the mission. ;)

I think you say it to the Lead and others in the package. There is no host when your in the 'pit. This is virtual reality, otherwise why do I get sweaty palms .....
you're modestly confusing sweaty palms with the clammy cold sensation of having the hands of a mercilless trained killer, coiled like a spring, ready to strike a lethal blow to the enemy in the blink of an eye with his bewildering array of high-tec weaponry... or it may just be the Australian heat. One or the other. :blink:

I like the clock reference. Are you suggesting we reword the guide or a straight replacement?

I'm not suggesting that everything I wrote should be taken as gospel - it was all jotted down while thinking about my experience in MP so far and listing the things that stuck in my mind... kind of write it now before it vanishes from my mind situation (sorry if I've doubled-up on things you noted in your orignal post).

Just consider what I've written is a rough draft to the "Editor" to be considered, used, disected, acted upon or ignored as the active community feels appropriate to the final completion of this guide.

At the end of the day if just a single point from my original post is accepted and included, then great - but if everything I've written is eventually considered superfluous to the guide and the level of instruction it's intended to give then no problem either. I'll still be enjoying my time in MP! :thumbsup:

But there are other brevity codes, "affirmative", "roger", etc .

Are you suggesting we use those as well?

If so what are they?

Should there be a limited number?

Personally I'd love to get that "3, 2, 1, take-off" right.

Well as far as I'm aware, brevity codes were devised for a reason - to give aircrew a common language that could be conveyed quickly and clearly over the radio so one and all could help build their SA. If people flying TAW2 know (some) brevity codes then why not let them use them. There are already some in the original TAW manual, but I wouldn't expect everyone to have a full understanding of them all, nor all of them commited to memory before flying MP. It would be neat to hear the odd word/phrase pop into common usage once every so often B)

It's the sort of vocabulary addition to the MP world that could enhance the game and players coordination and their situational awareness. And if it makes those flying a better team, then there's got to be some good in it.

As for a limited number of codes, well I guess that would be down to the individual at the end of the day. If you don't want to learn, you won't. If you do, good on you - but just be prepared to translate should you find yourself with others who are unfamiliar with the lingo :lol:

Is there such a thing or is it as directed in the flight by the Lead?

Yes, it should be as directed by the flight lead, but things can get missed on comms for a variety of reasons. If a pilot is unsure and wishes to check there should be no shame in asking flight lead to confirm the required EMCON status.

Sorry don't agree. You should know it from the pre-flight briefing (if there is one but won't go there at the moment ....) and if need be, note it on your kneepad. Sorry, IMHO.

True. That's why pre-flight briefings exist. However as this is a guide aimed at newcomers to MP (and possibly even jet/combat sims in general), a gentle nudge of "make sure you read and understand your briefing prior to entering the cockpit" should be included. Old Timers should know better and be prepared like the proverbial Boy Scout for the fight ahead, but as with EMCON status mentioned above, I don't think there should be any shame in a new pilot asking for confirmation of his mission task from his flight lead once in the cockpit if he is again unsure of his required duty on that mission. Of course it should be stressed that checking the brief is the good habit to get in to! :D

JUST LOVE IT! :rofl: This should be in the IN-FLIGHT section of the guide (draft yet to be written), but I wouldn't what it too wordy ..... and that coming from Wombat. :lol:

I like this, (some will not, however) but its really an attitudinal thing. Something that is a generic guide on how we fly. That is, how some of us want to fly. ;) I think it should be here with the other game play guideline.

Well I thought that the idea of coop is teamwork rather than going Lone Ranger on everyone. Otherwise there is no point having a flight lead or a flight/package structure... or a mission briefing. It shouldn't be about pilots going ball's out for personal glory at the expense of other team members... that's why God invented head2head engagements and dogfight servers. If flight lead wants to set up a stealth ambush on a group of Su-27's then everyone flying under his wing should respect his wishes/orders, not just loose off missiles and bombs willy nilly in the hope of crushing the enemy single handedly while beating everyone else to Acedom :thumbsup:

Should be part of the LANDING section of the guide (draft yet to be written). I have it noted.
Cool.

Thanks Bomber. Interested to get your feedback and from others of course.

No problem Wombat. Hopefully some it will be of use & interest.... and if not, well I'll just have to come back later and bug you all with more stuff!

Just remember that they're only observations and suggestions on my part, not things I demand to be set in concrete that must be obeyed!

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber

This I guess is a descriptive term for the number allocation. Actual verbal use within the cockpit would be like "Wolf 2", "Wolf 3", "Voodoo 2" or just plain "2", "3" etc.

Cheers!Rob,CPS_Bomber

I haven't got time to read in detail, but please never refrain for "just putting it down". Its all fun here. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be here. We don't have to justify what we say so no offense meant no offense taken. It just all adds the mix and an eventual outcome which can be accepted by the majority. Will answer in detail later. Take care. :thumbsup:

In much aviation literature and TV documentaries I've seen it described as being the "No.2 slot", "No3 slot" and so on (for example aerobatic teams such as the RAF's Red Arrows).

Also for example thinking of combat reports, it's often seen as "....Flt Lt ABC was flying as No2 to Sqn Ldr DEF when they encountered a flight of..."

I think the main direction on the issue of wingman number is the availability of correct guidance to allow newcomers to TAW2 to positively and quickly identify who they are within their flight package while performing engine start prior to taxi. Overall, once in the air it does seem more common for all pilots to refer to each other by their tags/callsigns, but knowing your number within your flight can be essential for completing your assigned task within the mission. ;)

I think its time to debate these things elsewhere. Not that I disagree with you but I don't want it left to you and I to determine the outcome. *It could be taken up on TS3 with at least HF and Neph present. Neph and I discussed it loosely today. IMHO we need to reflect what the Air Force does, but refine (simplify?) it to something manageable in TAW2.0. Stay tuned.

you're modestly confusing sweaty palms with the clammy cold sensation of having the hands of a mercilless trained killer, coiled like a spring, ready to strike a lethal blow to the enemy in the blink of an eye with his bewildering array of high-tec weaponry... or it may just be the Australian heat. One or the other. :blink:

Oh what a wonderfully thing it is to have imagination. At the moment I'm re-read Harry Potter and I'm likening myself to Dumbledor. :rofl:

I'm not suggesting that everything I wrote should be taken as gospel - it was all jotted down while thinking about my experience in MP so far and listing the things that stuck in my mind... kind of write it now before it vanishes from my mind situation (sorry if I've doubled-up on things you noted in your orignal post).

Just consider what I've written is a rough draft to the "Editor" to be considered, used, disected, acted upon or ignored as the active community feels appropriate to the final completion of this guide.

I think covered this in my previous post

Well as far as I'm aware, brevity codes were devised for a reason - to give aircrew a common language that could be conveyed quickly and clearly over the radio so one and all could help build their SA. If people flying TAW2 know (some) brevity codes then why not let them use them. There are already some in the original TAW manual, but I wouldn't expect everyone to have a full understanding of them all, nor all of them commited to memory before flying MP. It would be neat to hear the odd word/phrase pop into common usage once every so often B)

It's the sort of vocabulary addition to the MP world that could enhance the game and players coordination and their situational awareness. And if it makes those flying a better team, then there's got to be some good in it.

As for a limited number of codes, well I guess that would be down to the individual at the end of the day. If you don't want to learn, you won't. If you do, good on you - but just be prepared to translate should you find yourself with others who are unfamiliar with the lingo :lol:

*For discussion at the TS3 meeting.

Yes, it should be as directed by the flight lead, but things can get missed on comms for a variety of reasons. If a pilot is unsure and wishes to check there should be no shame in asking flight lead to confirm the required EMCON status.

True. That's why pre-flight briefings exist. However as this is a guide aimed at newcomers to MP (and possibly even jet/combat sims in general), a gentle nudge of "make sure you read and understand your briefing prior to entering the cockpit" should be included. Old Timers should know better and be prepared like the proverbial Boy Scout for the fight ahead, but as with EMCON status mentioned above, I don't think there should be any shame in a new pilot asking for confirmation of his mission task from his flight lead once in the cockpit if he is again unsure of his required duty on that mission. Of course it should be stressed that checking the brief is the good habit to get in to! :D

Well I thought that the idea of coop is teamwork rather than going Lone Ranger on everyone. Otherwise there is no point having a flight lead or a flight/package structure... or a mission briefing. It shouldn't be about pilots going ball's out for personal glory at the expense of other team members... that's why God invented head2head engagements and dogfight servers. If flight lead wants to set up a stealth ambush on a group of Su-27's then everyone flying under his wing should respect his wishes/orders, not just loose off missiles and bombs willy nilly in the hope of crushing the enemy single handedly while beating everyone else to Acedom

Cheers! Rob, CPS_Bomber

* Not trying to defect the discussion but I think its better address this way. I think it will be more productive and conclusive at the moment.

Wombat

Hey Bomber, nice to see you posting so extensively! :thumbsup:

Yeah, any comment or feedback is good feedback.

I think with growing numbers, the demand for some kind of structure in our MP sessions is increasing legitimately.

We have to be able to rely on each other in stressful situations, to become a stronger team!

To be honest, I'd find it easier to discuss these various aspects on TS3 as well.

How about we meet up 1 hour earlier for next fly-in to reserve some time for this?

I will be there: 17:00 GMT next SUNDAY 29. MAY

Hey Bomber, nice to see you posting so extensively! :thumbsup:

Yeah, any comment or feedback is good feedback.

I think with growing numbers, the demand for some kind of structure in our MP sessions is increasing legitimately.

We have to be able to rely on each other in stressful situations, to become a stronger team!

To be honest, I'd find it easier to discuss these various aspects on TS3 as well.

How about we meet up 1 hour earlier for next fly-in to reserve some time for this?

I will be there: 17:00 GMT next SUNDAY 29. MAY

Eagle! :icon_salute3:

Thanks, this isn't a bad place to hang out at you know. Makes a big difference when all the kids play nicey with each other! (unlike some forums I've been to in the past!) ;)

Sure thing about going over to TS3 to discuss further, makes sense to me. I'm not sure if I'll make it on Sunday even if it is earlier than usual due to family commitments that day, so there is a chance I may not get online at all Sunday.

I will be online later today (Friday) - probably 20:30 GMT onwards until 02:00 GMT tomorrow morning (Mrs Bomber is doing a night shift, so I don't have to go to bed when I'm told ;) )

I may be helping Sargy out with finalizing his TAW2 setup plus getting successful connection for MP tomorrow evening/night along with a little flight instruction - however if he can't make it over to me, then I'll be online between 20:30 GMT Saturday evening and 02:00 GMT Sunday morning too.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Rob

CPS_Bomber