COMBATSIM Forum
Krycztij

TAW 3View — A Renderer for TAW's .3 Files

Ah, while you can tag nodes with height data in OSM2World, it can't handle terrain.

So, using yet another tool called Maperitive to combine OSM data with SRTM elevation data. The output is in COLLADA format, but AC3D coverts it to VRML quite well.

asm_map.png.9003148fb854a5fbecff71fbb1ca6666.png

It's not too difficult (conceptually at least) to combine the output of the two programs into a single VRML file, but that would require a consistent coordinate system. ie a tiling structure that we can use WGS-84 to define a tile, but end up with a 2D grid, so I have to incorporate a projection system somehow.

On 1/22/2018 at 10:34 PM, mikew said:

It's suggested to run ReactOS in a VM, but what's the point of that? I might as well just run Windows 2000 in the VM. 

Well, as it's been too hot to do much of anything significant on the PC this summer, I thought I'd give it a go.

The main object was to simply run the ADF installer in support of DKD's investigation, but ReactOS can't yet handle 16-bit programs.

TFXplorer looks like it might have worked if I could somehow get VirtualBox to present a D3D interface to the VM...

tfxp_reactos.png.cf647ebbbc02f0bafe5247a2e13125d9.png

What a pity. Looks like we should start writing our own operating system. (What UAW almost has become due to the UI APIs ;) ) Thanks a lot for testing. Next time my system breaks down, I’ll install ReactOS and check what its D3D can and can not do.

(BTW, the "ERROR: Joystick input broken" message doesn’t look promising either. Probably no more RawInput support than Wine …)

(And why do I need to enable Audio devices in my browser in order to write an answer here? Is The Dude trying to make Combatsim Radio? :D )

ReactOS is incredibly fragile and reminds me of Linux about 15 years ago. The slightest thing can lead to the OS needing to be reinstalled. At least with a VM I can just go back to a good snapshot.

I can get a bit further by enabling 3D in VirtualBox, This causes TFXplorer to complain about the lack of the DirectX June 2010 runtime. If I install that, TFXplorer sees some of it but not XAudio 2.7, then it eventually crashes (although I don't think from the lack of XAudio)

The ReactOS DXDiag doesn't work for the D3D tests either, and the ReactOS forums lead me to believe that it can't work right now.

While Linux is now very stable and seems to have drivers for everything out of the box, it's much bigger these days and has taken a lot of effort to get there.

I just can't see ReactOS getting anywhere near that at their current trajectory. It might make a great base for a TFXplorer specific OS though. :D