IP address

Wombat1940

Its something that has become apparent to me regarding Multiplay and IP addresses.

IP addresses are give out in confidence. They should never be disclosed to other parties unless you have confidence in those paries to treat them with the same. I now understand them to be like phone numbers or email addresses, but maybe even more so. As a consequence one should never give out somebodies else's I.P. address. Its private and confidential. If I am over stating the case I would be pleased to hear otherwise and why.

My2cworth

Its something that has become apparent to me regarding Multiplay and IP addresses.

IP addresses are give out in confidence. They should never be disclosed to other parties unless you have confidence in those paries to treat them with the same. I now understand them to be like phone numbers or email addresses, but maybe even more so. As a consequence one should never give out somebodies else's I.P. address. Its private and confidential. If I am over stating the case I would be pleased to hear otherwise and why.

My2cworth

I think you may be a bit overstating it.

Edited by Home Fries
pictures removed on request

I think you may be a bit overstating it.

Thanks for that. It just with my lack of knowledge concerning these technical issues you eased my concerns.

If this information is so easily accessed do I understand you have my details? :unsure:

Thanks for that. It just with my lack of knowledge concerning these technical issues you eased my concerns.

If this information is so easily accessed do I understand you have my details? :unsure:

I will neither confirm nor deny.

Sorry but what does that mean? .......

Maybe I don't have one .... :lol:

On second thoughts maybe you'd post your IP address here as well ......

IP adresses are NOT considered secret info at all actually.

They are so public it is scary, a quick Who is will reveal where somebody is located for an example, it is just the culture to hide it on the forums thanks to the "US sueing market" for those that haven't secured theirs properly.

So in my case, if anybody does a drive by ping all they get is a silence, thus they do not know if there is something at that IP or if it is an unused IP (Not a lot of those now actually but some companies own certain IPs that they do not use, like HP.)

The IP address is directly linked to the domain name (like x.dyndns.org). Anyone who knows the domain can find out the IP address, this does not depend on local computer/router settings. Too much in the internet depends on them to expect confidentiality.

However, IP addresses are still private information and still shouldn't be posted around without need. Just because player A gives players B, C and D his IP address so that a session can be established doesn't necessarily mean he wants his IP address, location and name posted around for the entire internet to see.

I'm not sure how you 'secure' an IP address though, other than by routing all traffic via an anonymous proxy or TOR, which isn't really an option for games.

Thank you Sweeper and Tiger. Maybe as freshman I have over stated the danger, but with my simple mind I tend be cautious. Maybe user has my IP address, or maybe he can get it, but I'm glad he has had the decency not to post it ............. yet. ;)

However, IP addresses are still private information and still shouldn't be posted around without need. Just because player A gives players B, C and D his IP address so that a session can be established doesn't necessarily mean he wants his IP address, location and name posted around for the entire internet to see.

Agreed.

There isn't much that can be done if someone knows your IP.

Still: User, would you like us to post your IP as well?

Do you have permission by me or HomeFries to post our IP addresses?? I know I didn't give you permission to post it publicly.

Having said that, you are advised to remove the pictures, since they are completely unnecessary.

Wombat,

While not quite the same, consider the IP address to be similar to a drivers license number (or Social Security Number for those of us stateside). The number in and of itself doesn't mean a whole lot. However, tie the IP address to an individual or entity, and if there is a reason to target that person, then there is now a reason to target that IP address. At that point, your router and firewall are the only defense you have against a dedicated hacker.

The differences are that 1) the IP is assigned by your ISP, and the ISP may periodically change your IP, and 2) every time you do something online, it traces back to your IP, so it is not protected information. That's why you should have protection in place if you have a 24 hour broadband connection, and it's generally not good practice to advertise somebody's IP unless it is a dedicated server and you are providing it for that purpose.

Having said that, you are advised to remove the pictures, since they are completely unnecessary.

Done.

@User, apologies for editing your post. Given Eagle Flight's wishes, I decided to be expeditious.

Done.

@User, apologies for editing your post. Given Eagle Flight's wishes, I decided to be expeditious.

I trust a lesson has been learned ....... by everybody.

Yeah, hopefully.. There are forums that will officially enforce a warning for posting this kind of 'sensitive' data about others. - With the minimization of abuse-potential in mind, I find this appropriate.

The bark is more effective than the bite in most cases, and I tend to act peaceful, as to not give any serious person a reason for attempting a DoS against me. Anyone with the resources of a bot-net to successfully engage in a DoS attack would be aware of more interesting targets out in the internets than an average virtual pilot.

User, great that you notice my ping-resonse is turned off ;)

Yeah, hopefully.. There are forums that will officially enforce a warning for posting this kind of 'sensitive' data about others. - With the minimization of abuse-potential in mind, I find this appropriate.

The bark is more effective than the bite in most cases, and I tend to act peaceful, as to not give any serious person a reason for attempting a DoS against me. Anyone with the resources of a bot-net to successfully engage in a DoS attack would be aware of more interesting targets out in the internets than an average virtual pilot.

User, great that you notice my ping-resonse is turned off ;)

well Acting Peacefully is a GOOD thing too bad a malicous Hacker Dont care..There is NO rhyme or reason for some hackers they just do it because they can!! ;)

I tend to agree keeping an IP secret is a good Practise.. Would you post your Bank account info online ??

On second thoughts maybe you'd post your IP address here as well ......

An ip address is no secret.

1.png

But in all seriousness, all it takes is for someone to run something like wireshark network capturing device when hosting /playing TAW and he/she is able to get IP address of all players. And not to mention the forum admin (and google) can see our ip addresses.

If it makes any difference, the ip of EagleFlight's that I posted was a dynamic ip address. In fact, for all anyone knows, he could be using a completely different IP address by now. This is the whole point and purpose of a service such as dyndns.org. It was simply that fact that eagleflight.dyndns.org (this information is publicly posted in a Takeoff Procedure.doc on this forum!) resolved to XX.XXX.XX.XX (redacted), which most ironically, is no different in nature than what Wombat had earlier disclosed on his own volition:

Begin Screenshot of

amnesia.PNG

End Screenshot of

Given that both Wombat's and Eagleflight's dynamic ip address were already previously and publicly disclosed on these forums, I fail to see how I may have caused any disclosure that was not already publicly available. Anyone who would be so inconvenienced as to perform such a simple name resolution would equally be too inconvenienced as to waste his time attempting to "hack" an online pilot. I haven't given anything away that wasn't already posted on here.

But in all seriousness, all it takes is for someone to run something like wireshark network capturing device when hosting /playing TAW and he/she is able to get IP address of all players. And not to mention the forum admin (and google) can see our ip addresses.

The ease of doing it doesn't excuse the person doing it and posting the results in public, because he was invited to join the game first.

As for forum admins, there's good reason for this function being restricted to admins only on most boards, not even moderators.

No, robots aren't given out posters' IPs. There is a setting in Admin CP that lets you select what group's privileges robots are given, and by default it's set at "guests". Some boards will set it at "members", but no higher. Robots then receive the same page as a Guest or a Member, respectively, would. What's more, on a lot of board software, including software running this forum, it's outright impossible to toggle viewing IP addresses for any non-moderator group, so even if you intentionally wanted to make robots see IPs, you could only do so at the cost of making your board open to pillage by any eight year old.

I'm starting to feel like you aren't exactly impartial to the role of a game griefer.

The ease of doing it doesn't excuse the person doing it and posting the results in public, because he was invited to join the game first.

As for forum admins, there's good reason for this function being restricted to admins only on most boards, not even moderators.

No, robots aren't given out posters' IPs. There is a setting in Admin CP that lets you select what group's privileges robots are given, and by default it's set at "guests". Some boards will set it at "members", but no higher. Robots then receive the same page as a Guest or a Member, respectively, would. What's more, on a lot of board software, including software running this forum, it's outright impossible to toggle viewing IP addresses for any non-moderator group, so even if you intentionally wanted to make robots see IPs, you could only do so at the cost of making your board open to pillage by any eight year old.

I'm starting to feel like you aren't exactly impartial to the role of a game griefer.

I would appreciate not being taken out of context or words put into my mouth. Who said anything about robots? My reference to Google pertained strictly to scripts and services of this nature that seems to be on nearly every ad sponsored website or any webmaster that wants to collect traffic statistics these days:

googleads.g.doubleclick.net

www.googlesyndication.com

www.googleadservices.com

www.google-analytics.com

pagead.googlesyndication.com

etc

etc

etc

Unless you have adblock and/or noscript extensions installed, the vast majority of websites run one of the Google adsense programs and/or track you with their google tracking tools. Google was the only company that declined to build a "do not track" option into their chrome browser. So I guess when you are a large company its "okay" but when you are an individual linking to information that was already previously publicly disclosed by the owners of said information (and doing so with the benign intention of dispelling the myths of ip addresses) you get accused of being a 'griefer'.. Oh the irony of rhetoric.

OK Enough. Do we need to put some of you Guys on a TIMEOUT.. ;)

Seriously tho if the IP's where posted before Fine no point in Reposting info like that.

Fact is there are probally tons of ways to get an IP but in an ONLINE community you have a unwritten law that Hopefully ALL will abide by and NOT too use an IP you know in a malicous way. probing that IP and such to gain access to a PC..

I say we know move on and I think we should put this thread to rest as it is turning unruly..

There is Probally more Harm in Visiting a Unknow Website as 4 out of 10 are Hacker made and will infect you just by visiting it..

Lets get back to TAW

OK Enough. Do we need to put some of you Guys on a TIMEOUT.. ;)

Seriously tho if the IP's where posted before Fine no point in Reposting info like that.

Fact is there are probally tons of ways to get an IP but in an ONLINE community you have a unwritten law that Hopefully ALL will abide by and NOT too use an IP you know in a malicous way. probing that IP and such to gain access to a PC..

I say we know move on and I think we should put this thread to rest as it is turning unruly..

There is Probally more Harm in Visiting a Unknow Website as 4 out of 10 are Hacker made and will infect you just by visiting it..

Lets get back to TAW

I agree. Let's not get distracted as some may wish. We're here to fly TAW2.0, take out the enemy and protect our friends. Pilots that is. ;)

Concur.

Again, like a drivers license number (or any number for that matter), just because it's easy to find doesn't mean that we need to make it easier. Let's default to a mutual respect of others by not posting this information, or re-posting it as the case may be.

If somebody wants to post his own information, that is his prerogative. Let's leave it at that.

I'm closing this topic before it gets ugly.