Monday

Stans

Morning. Hot & Humid. Already 70F with 96% humidity. High temp reaching 94F with heat indicies of 100-105 by the afternoon.

Thanks to all those soldiers, sailors and airmen whose bravery on that day 67 years ago will never be forgotten. A big thank you and Salute(!) to the British, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwi's, Americans, Free French, Poles and from all the other countries represented in the Allied cause to free Europe from the shackles of the Nazis.

Morning,

Cold and rainy.

Much like the weather on the beaches at Normandy that morning ... that pivotal morning for which I am deeply grateful to all those Allied soldiers, sailors, and airmen who fought and died to secure those beachheads. :icon_salute3:

d-day-juno-queens-own-landing.jpg

D-Day, the Sixth of June! I clearly remember the BBC Announcer on the radio, with my Mum and Dad sitting there glued to the speaker, intoning, "Today, June 6th, Allied Forces made landings on the beaches of France.........!" I was thirteen and a half and just knew that something momentous was happening but not sure what. Mum cried. Dad just muttered, "That'll show those bloody Nazis what's what!" Thank God for those brave men and women.

Let's not forget that two years prior over the course of 4 days that the Japanese were dealt a crippling blow at Midway. One of the last actions was the torpedoing of Yorktown as she was being towed back to Pearl. That happened today in in 1942.