Internet Explorer 9

mikew

I've just 'upgraded' to IE9 as part of a Windows update and have an annoying problem with Combatsim.

When I click on a link in a forum thread, a new tab opens to load that link which is good and what happened before in IE8.

What happens in IE9 is that the link is opened in the original tab as well, which is not so good. So far, I have only noticed this behaviour with the Combatsim forum, hence that's where I'm laying the blame. ;)

Any idea why I have to endure such misery?

Why are you using IE?

But seriously ...

The problem, I think, has to do with this forum's use of the new, XHTML-compliant rel="external" link tag. The old tag, target="_blank" has been deprecated (although it still works in all HTML5-compliant browsers).

Perhaps IE9 isn't respecting this new rel tag. I did some Google searching on this, but can't seem to find anything current on the subject. Additionally, what is rather puzzling, is the W3Schools.com site says the rel tag isn't supported in any of the major browsers, but that can't be correct. (update, they are saying it's not supported because HTML5 is still considered to be in "draft" stage.)

Thanks!

I've just done some searching myself, and there's a compatibility button which has fixed the problem for now.

The problem and solution are described in the first post here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/33104-internet-explorer-9-and-rmweb/page__p__350404

Model railway enthusiasts to the rescue! :thumbsup:

Clearly Microsoft is way ahead of the game here, and the software running this board needs to shape up. :)

Thanks!

I've just done some searching myself, and there's a compatibility button which has fixed the problem for now.

I meant to ask if it had a "Quirks Mode" button, but a squirrel ran by my window and I got distracted.

Clearly Microsoft is way ahead of the game here, and the software running this board needs to shape up. :)

This just in! Hell has officially frozen over.

Firefox 5 to be released today ...

The latest version of Firefox was available for a few hours before official launch and will be launched on 21 June. Firefox 5 is available for download for Windows, Mac and Linux users and with this version you get support for CSS animations and improved performance over Firefox 4……………

Mozilla has now released the final build of Firefox 5.0 and the official release of browser is expected on June 21. Firefox 5 Final can be downloaded for Windows, Mac and Linux in various languages, will not bring any GUI changes instead the design interface will be almost same as Firefox 4. This latest stable version offers more stability and improvements than the former test builds and also most of the Add-ons seems to be incompatible with Firefox 5. Firefox 5 looks identical to its predecessor and only visible change is the addition of a “Do Not Track” features which, if turned on nforms websites not to collect any information from the user. You can enable this feature by going into Firefox menu > Options > Privacy tab > select “Tell web sites I do not want to be tracked“. There are also other improvements, in the security and rendering field. There’s for example, improved HTML 5 support and the browser still scores 97/100 on the Acid3 test. At he beginning of Firefox 5′s development cycle, some possible features surfaced, such as the ability to pin sites onto the Windows 7 taskbar and built-in PDF reader.

Download English version of Firefox 5.0 for Windows