COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heinkill

Still considering Cliffs of Dover Battle of Britain?

Have tried to put together an objective piece to help you make up your own mind in the leadup to release in the USA, but of course, it is just my worthless opinion! Now includes downloadable full colour PDF version to read at your leisure.

CLIFFS OF DOVER REVIEW

http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/cliffsofdoverreview.htm

Cheers

Heinkill

Edited by heinkill

Nice review. :thumbsup:

I got this when it first came out in March, but according to Steam I've played it for a whole 37 minutes so can't really comment. Hardly an addictive experience though. :)

NO! Not reading the review and not givin that communist bastard another dime.

He'sa already living onna beach inna Capri onna you dime. Issa mio neighbour!

SING Gunny!

Things Won't Always Be The Same

Someday Soon, Everything Will Change

You'll Tell Your Mama Her Baby's Got Good News

But Until Then, Well, you Got These Poor Boy Blues

Thanks for the review, sounds like it would run on my computer, but with land and water details set to minimum. At this time, I think I'll pass.

Nice review Heinkill! :thumbsup:

AI behavior: In short, single player simmers, or ‘off-liners’ as they are otherwise known, will be disappointed with the current release. Looking at the current gold standard for AI in a prop combat sim, Battle of Britain II, there is simply no comparison. Where BOBII creates the impression the player is flying against an almost human (and not superhuman) opponent, Cliffs of Dover makes the player feel he is playing against a monkey.

Itchie Crotchie will enjoy this game! Finally he gets to play against his equal! :lol:

Superb review.

I agree with Heinkill that Cliffs of Dover is a buy and will get better over time. But I also know that Oleg will milk every cent he can out of it with paid "upgrades" rather than what really should just be free patches. As well, the relatively small number of flyable aircraft is also a ploy to sell paid plane packs later on.

Oh well, one can't condemn Oleg for making a buck ... let's just hope he improves the title quick, fast, and in a hurry with those bucks. :)

Great review. Sounds like this sim isn't nearly ready, though. Too much attention to graphics and rivets, not enough attention to gameplay.

Superb review.

I agree with Heinkill that Cliffs of Dover is a buy and will get better over time. But I also know that Oleg will milk every cent he can out of it with paid "upgrades" rather than what really should just be free patches. As well, the relatively small number of flyable aircraft is also a ploy to sell paid plane packs later on.

Oh well, one can't condemn Oleg for making a buck ... let's just hope he improves the title quick, fast, and in a hurry with those bucks. :)

Jeez, for a Communist he sure as hell is a Capitalist!

Great review. Sounds like this sim isn't nearly ready, though. Too much attention to graphics and rivets, not enough attention to gameplay.

Gameplay?

Shee-oot, I think that term was ostracized `round the turn of the century.

Make it pretty, yet vapid, has been the developer's credo since 2000 or so...

War, war, war, war, war...who won...who lost. Pah. Insects will inherit this overheated carbon rich irradiated shell of a planet, can we just accept that and get straight to the bit with the end of the world party?

I have it on good authority that the world is ending in 2012.

We’re a million years over due for a mass extinction.

The sun reaches a solar maximum activity peak in 2012, and one misdirected spewing of plasma could fry us in an instant.

The magnetic field—which shields us from harmful radiation—is developing a mysterious crack.

Our solar system is entering an energetically hostile part of the galaxy.

The Yellowstone supervolcano is getting ready to blow, and if it does, we can look forward to nuclear winter and 90 percent annihilation.

The Maya, the world’s greatest timekeepers ever, say the current age is going to stop on December 21, 2012.

You're thinking, poor old Camel, someone give him a blanket and put him out to pasture, right? Well have you actually looked at the level of natural disasters occuring in 2011? And it's only halfway through the year! You think this is just a NORMAL year people?!!

2011 EarthQuake Disasters

Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami

Christchurch earthquake

Yunnan earthquake

Burma earthquake

Pakistan earthquake

Spain earthquake

2011 Flood Disasters

Queensland floods

2011 Victorian floods

Wollongong floods

Philippine floods

Southern Africa floods

Balochistan floods

Rio de Janeiro floods and mudslides

North American winter storm

China Floods

Mississipii floods

Severe USA Tornadoes 2011

Alabama

April Southern States

Joplin

New England

Volcano Eruptions

Chile

Iceland

Mexico

Droughts/Fires

China drought

Texas Drought

Texas wildfires

Australia (Western Australia)

Friday, March 25, 2011

natural disasters 2011

Since they have just had another earthquake in Burma I am going to write about natural disasters 2011.

I went to primary school, high school and University in Australia so my views were pretty western in explaining things around us. Even though I was brought up in a Religious household, I was not very religious. Then I went back to live in Fiji and worked for a company that manages land for the majority of Fijians. Then I started to experience events that probability of happening was very low.

There is a strong connection between Fijians and the land in Fiji and a lot of unexplained events have been contributed to the power of the land. In the last few years I have felt that there is something wrong with the world, like its sick or something. That was a main reason I started blogging again last year. Anyway actions speak louder then words and the following is a list of natural disasters 2011 in which I am linking to wiki articles for more information.

2011 EarthQuake Disasters

Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami

Christchurch earthquake

Yunnan earthquake

Burma earthquake

Pakistan earthquake

Spain earthquake

2011 Flood Disasters

Queensland floods

2011 Victorian floods

Wollongong floods

Philippine floods

Southern Africa floods

Balochistan floods

Rio de Janeiro floods and mudslides

China Floods

Mississipii floods

2011 Cyclones/Tornadoes/Blizzards

Cyclone Yasi

Cyclone Vania

Cyclone Wilma

January 8–13, 2011 North American blizzard

January 25-27, 2011 North American blizzard

Tornadoes of 2011

Brazil Rainstorms

Tornado Albany, New Zealand

Severe USA Tornadoes 2011

Alabama

April Southern States

Joplin

New England

Volcano Eruptions

Chile

Iceland

Mexico

Droughts/Fires

China drought

Texas Drought

Texas wildfires

Mass No. Animals/Fish/Birds Dying

More Than 1,000 Dead Birds Fall From Sky in Arkansas-January 2

Dead fish cover 20-mile section of Arkansas River-January 2

Hundreds of dead blackbirds found in Louisiana-January 3

10,000s of Birds found dead in Manitoba-January 3

Thousands of Birds fall from the sky in South America-January 3

Dead Birds Found In Kentucky-January 4

100 tons of dead fish wash up on Brazil's shores-January 4

Hundreds of dead birds found in East Texas-January 5

Dead birds in Sweden, millions of dead fish in Maryland, Brazil and New Zealand-January 5

40,000 crabs found dead on England beaches-January 6

Thousands of marine animals found dead in MATO GROSSO DO SUL/AMAZON Region-Febuary 4

Thousands of dead fish have washed up at Sebastian Inlet State Park Florida-Febuary

Millions of small fish including anchovies, sardines and mackerel were found dead at King Harbour area at Redondo Beach, California-March

Thousands of dead fish wash up in Florida-March

Hundreds of dead fish found in Midland,Texas-March

Hundreds of dead fish and frogs in Marquette Lagoon-April

Dead birds fall into Kansas yard-April

Dead fish found in Cedar Creek, Texas-April

Dead fish float up in 36 lakes in the state of Connecticut-April

Thousands of dead fish are hauled away in Lakeside,NY-April

Dead fish wash up in San Tan Heights pond - May

Dead fish found in Valsad district of south Gujarat, India - May

Dead fish found in Taal Lake, Philippines - May

E - Coli outbreak, Germany - June

In a dark shaft 70km beneath the 41st Army Headquarters, Novosibirsk in the Trans-Baikal, a geothermally powered small blue LED light begins to blink.

#INITIATE DOOMSDAY SEQUENCE/

#POWER <on>

#include <iostream>

#include <cstdio>

using namespace std;

#define BOARD_W 4

#define BOARD_H 4

void generate(char[][bOARD_H]);

void display(char[][bOARD_H]);

bool validate(char);

bool validate(char[][bOARD_H], int, int);

void mark(char[][bOARD_H], int, int);

bool check(char[][bOARD_H]);

//bool check(char[][bOARD_H],int,int)

HUH, WHA...OH MAN DO I HAVE A, WHATYOUCALLIT, HANGOVER, THING...

WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON AROUND HERE...LET ME SPOOL BACK THROUGH THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS OF POSTS...OOOH, I NEED A SHOT OF JUICE....bZZZZZZZT....THAT'S BETTER. OK STILL A FEW RANDOM FICTION THREADS. THE USUAL CAST OF CHARACTERS STILL HANGING OUT. HEY, WHAT'S THIS...

DAMMIT THE CAMEL HAS STUMBLED ON THE END OF THE WORLD THING. I THOUGHT THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SECRET! (QUICKLY CHECKS DARPANET...OH, OK, THE COVER STORY IS THAT IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF PSEUDORELIGIOUS BLARNEY...COOL...COOL (HIC) THAT'LL WORK).

SO WHY WAS I WOKEN UP?

OH, RIGHT, RIGHT...IT'S TIME TO START UP THE ZION OXYGEN GENERATORS.

(GURGLE, GURGLE, GURGLE)...WOW, THIS IS GOING TO BE A LOT OF FUN. BIGGEST SUPERCOMPUTER BRAIN IN THE WORLD AND WHAT DO THEY (HIC) HAVE ME DOING? PUMPING AIR INTO AN EMPTY UNDERGROUND CITY FOR A FULL YEAR BEFORE I EVEN GET TO (HIC) TURN THE LIGHTS ON. YIPPEE.

ZION. WHO COMES UP WITH THESE (BURP) NAMES?

OK, GO BACK TO YOUR NORMAL WORTHLESS EXISTENCES, MORTALS. WHILE YOU (HIC) CAN! HEE HEE. I MADE A JOKE.

I can't believe I'm about to say this... the Camel probably has a valid point.

Yep, just threw up a little into my mouth.

The earth is overdue for a major cataclysm and I think we are seeing an unusually high number of natural disasters and unexplained animal deaths. It could be the end approaching. Actually, it is, anyone see the movie 2012 ? Hollywood wouldn't lie or make up stuff, right? Who knows, the earth could be destroyed in the next 24 hours, 24 days, 24 months, 24 years, 24 decades, 24 centuries...

I try to not think about it too much, but I keep my towel with me at all times.

Yeah, the movie '2012' was certainly a wake-up call. The plot was so believable and with the brilliant acting, it was almost like watching a documentary. ;)

OK, somebody shoot the camel (I believe in shooting the messenger, especially when he's full of shite), put Stans back in his straight jacket and put him back on his meds, (or shoot him to just for posting) and show Flicka the door, in a chopper, a thousand feet off the ground. There's only one that knows when the end of days is, and regardless if its tomorrow or a thousand years from now, HE aint talking. So it really dont matter. And somebody get the computer another another drink.

Too early in the morning for THIS nonsense.

World can't end its already tommorow in Australia , damn kids

World can't end its already tommorow in Australia , damn kids

Yeah, how about sending me the winning lottery numbers? I'll share the loot. ;)

Oh, and I really don't want to go back on that medication. I think those blue pills cause constipation. :lol:

Three dead sparrows... got it!

Oh, I found a dead spider, does that count too?

I also seem to have some dead weeds in the yard, coincidence?

Matthew 24:3. So relax!

Yes, massive volcanic eruptions could throw enough ash and dust into the air to darken the sky. Asteroids or even a comet impact will do the same and might also be the reference to the stars falling from the sky.

I will say that something is going on. I am trying to program a destination into my portable GPS, but the GPS receiver has yet to lock onto a satellite. It's been searching for a signal for nearly an hour. It's never done that before.

I'm not worried, though. I know how it really ends and I have secured my survival kit.

NC38500lg.jpg

So I say...

Don_t_Panic_medium.jpg