R.I.P. Desktop PC

cleric_neokun

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. My gaming PC has finally kicked the bucket for good this time. Now I won't get to play even on my spare time. >_>

I guess it's gonna be PS3 and laptop WoW for me until after a year or two. Maybe by then I'll have saved up enough to buy a new kickass hardware.

*sigh* Good ol' Pentium 4. It's been a great 8 years. :(

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. My gaming PC has finally kicked the bucket for good this time. Now I won't get to play even on my spare time. >_>

I guess it's gonna be PS3 and laptop WoW for me until after a year or two. Maybe by then I'll have saved up enough to buy a new kickass hardware.

Cleric ...... can't you load TAW2.0 on to your laptop? It works fine on my Laptop and its old. See my signature.

P4 is definitely old, but it has never been good...

You might wait a bit till Bulldozer hits the streets. It might not whoop 2500K in games, except for newest and upcoming multi-core titles, but it will be followed by a gang of mid-range CPU with good prices and enough juice for any game. Not talking years here, just maybe wait till Xmas or a bit after that.

As little as $200 will buy you a nice CPU+mobo+RAM package to drop into the old case. Just forget Intel's midrange products, they are overpriced these days, go for AMD's A6 or A8 to get the most bang for your buck.

Also, TAW runs fine even on netbooks, if you can live with the tiny screen. But then you can just hook up your monitor to the laptop.

P4 is definitely old, but it has never been good...

You might wait a bit till Bulldozer hits the streets. It might not whoop 2500K in games, except for newest and upcoming multi-core titles, but it will be followed by a gang of mid-range CPU with good prices and enough juice for any game. Not talking years here, just maybe wait till Xmas or a bit after that.

As little as $200 will buy you a nice CPU+mobo+RAM package to drop into the old case. Just forget Intel's midrange products, they are overpriced these days, go for AMD's A6 or A8 to get the most bang for your buck.

Also, TAW runs fine even on netbooks, if you can live with the tiny screen. But then you can just hook up your monitor to the laptop.

Yes I agree: TAW runs on my netbook with my Sidewinder USB joystick. It a tiny screen but the graphics look great at 800 x 600. :lol: If the $$$ are not there, it still doesn't stop you try to install TAW2.0 on your current notebook. You have nothing to loose.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Microsoft is going to come out with the next version of Flight Simulator (circa 2012) but after the ACE team was "canned" they went all "arcade" on future versions to appeal to the mass public / mass audience... The 2012 version is going to just be called Microsoft FLIGHT (you know its no good when "simulator" gets dropped out) and it works with Kinect. It is xbox360 title and they will port it from console to the PC on Games For Windows Live... They except to sell it to mainly teenagers and young adults in the living room as an entertainment and exercise game ...because you can actually play it with the xbox360 controller and better yet just flap your arms to fly like a bird. I'm not sure how PMDG is going to develop their next generation addons on this platform.

Too bad we can't do the reverse and port TAW to the xbox.

As far as realism goes desktop PC will always be the best

• 4 weeks later...

Well Microsoft is going to come out with the next version of Flight Simulator (circa 2012) but after the ACE team was "canned" they went all "arcade" on future versions to appeal to the mass public / mass audience... The 2012 version is going to just be called Microsoft FLIGHT (you know its no good when "simulator" gets dropped out) and it works with Kinect. It is xbox360 title and they will port it from console to the PC on Games For Windows Live... They except to sell it to mainly teenagers and young adults in the living room as an entertainment and exercise game ...because you can actually play it with the xbox360 controller and better yet just flap your arms to fly like a bird. I'm not sure how PMDG is going to develop their next generation addons on this platform.

Too bad we can't do the reverse and port TAW to the xbox.

As far as realism goes desktop PC will always be the best

From what I have read about "Flight" it's going to be scaleable to whatever level you want to enjoy it at. Let's face it.... Many people just use FSX to go for joy rides and look at the scenery below. This is all fine and good and the previews I have seen have made tremendious progress in lighting and default scenery.

Well FSX lives on the addons actually... In FSX you got some addons like Air Hauler where you get random tasks like: "Fly these 265000 pounds of mail from Chicago O'Hare to La Guardia New York."

Yes Mr Sweeps... There are actual things you can do in the sim (like the pre-configured missions). I myself fly FSX and very much enjoy it no matter what the purpose. When I made my comment I was referring to the many people I have read about in PC Pilot magazine who just want the "sensation" of being up in the air and looking at the country side. Not everyone wants to go ripping around at mach 1.2 and blow things up (like most of us... :rofl: ).

Yes Mr Sweeps... There are actual things you can do in the sim (like the pre-configured missions). I myself fly FSX and very much enjoy it no matter what the purpose. When I made my comment I was referring to the many people I have read about in PC Pilot magazine who just want the "sensation" of being up in the air and looking at the country side. Not everyone wants to go ripping around at mach 1.2 and blow things up (like most of us... :rofl: ).

Some of us .... ;)

4 days and counting ...... :blink:

Sorry I missed the Sunday fly-in. It sounds like you had a good crowd..!!! For the life of me I don't know how you get up at 3 AM....

Gettin my shoes all polished and practicing my dance "moves" ..... :thumbsup:

:lol: Wish I could be there. Will be think of you both. :thumbsup:

Actually I was up all night (couldn't sleep) and we flew at 5.00am :rolleyes: But don't tell the others that .... they'll think I'm making excuses. ;)

Well the nice thing with going at Mach 1.2 blowing crap up is that I do not have to think about loading the fuel, programming the computer, dealing with ATC (He better shut up or he is getting a Mav in his tower :D) and in Air Hauler I have to factor in cost to gain.

So... I have had engines run dry on fuel (Can get away with it in the sim.) just as I touched down at the destination airport :P just to save as much as possible on the economy.

No worries about that in TAW, top her off, you ain't paying for it after all :D

Well the nice thing with going at Mach 1.2 blowing crap up is that I do not have to think about loading the fuel, programming the computer, dealing with ATC (He better shut up or he is getting a Mav in his tower :D) and in Air Hauler I have to factor in cost to gain.

So... I have had engines run dry on fuel (Can get away with it in the sim.) just as I touched down at the destination airport :P just to save as much as possible on the economy.

No worries about that in TAW, top her off, you ain't paying for it after all :D

You and I are talking about different sects of people. The ones I'm referring to go unlimited fuel with a GA aircraft (no computer). It's not worth worrying about, but if flight lives up to its pre-release hype it could make more people happy than it does now. The hardware requirements are supposed to be much less also. FSX can bring my current desktop to its knees and I don't have a slouch of a machine.