If you don't see any TAW updates in a while...

Home Fries

...here's why:

Falcon 4.0 BMS-4 has just been released! :icon_bow:

It comes in a 686Mb Torrent. Here's a site with a torrent link that also shows a cool video:

http://dailyairforce...ven-Better.html

Here's the video:

And a promo video from the 87th:

Just from the video you can see HDR lighting, fully operable 3D cockpit, HiTiles, and what appears to be smooth multiplayer.

Here's the BMS sight where it all begins:

Benchmark Sims

And if you don't want to use the torrent:

Veteran's Gaming

EDIT: Just so you know, the installer calls on the Original (Microprose) Falcon 4.0 CD at some point. If you only have Allied Force, it will not work.

Edited by Home Fries
Needs original CD

Pardon my ignorance, but visual gimmicks aside, why pick it over FreeFalcon?

edit: Tried to install W7 three times, each times only could tolerate it a week to a month before wiping it and going back to XP. There's probably going to be Win8 with DX12 pack out there to make me switch (still dual-booting XP), but we're talking 2014-2015.

BMS has always delivered quality, detail oriented mods and versions, and before the Falcon community split, BMS was considered the gold standard. I can only see the graphics in the video, but they have always done good things "under the hood" as well, and many people were hoping that BMS would get the deal with Atari instead of Lead Pursuit.

I'm getting ready to install it now, so I don't know much for sure, but they have a great track record and I'll give BMS 4 the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT: Oh, and it was designed from the ground up to be compatible with windows 7

Edited by Home Fries
Win7 compatible

I have a couple of dynamic campaigns in beta testing right now, and a couple of tweaks to a multiplayer mission. But you're right; big changes will likely require more than data edits.

That said, the folks working on the 3D object viewer have the potential to take the sim to another level, graphics wise.

It requires the F4 disk, or a virgin F4 installation that you can point to. It doesn't install over a virgin installation (no dancing), but its existence is a requirement to install in a separate folder.

First impressions are good, though I haven't put it through its paces yet. However, it appears to get a lot of the little things right (i.e. HUD lag), and the stability is rock solid. The cockpit as implemented is a default 3D pit, with 2D mode switching the 3D pit to snap-viewing to press buttons. The lighting is sweet (you can see dynamic lighting and shadows in the cockpit, as well as light sourcing in the water), and almost everything is integrated into the UI.

Since OpenFalcon was an offshoot of BMS 2, it is natural that BMS 4 is closer to OpenFalcon than FreeFalcon or AF. Just from the featues I've seen, it also appears that multiplayer has been rigorously tested as well. There's already a 24/7 server up.

First impression is very positive indeed! I'm using an 'AGP system on steroids' and can configure it to 1280 x 1024 with close to maximum settings before getting beyond a reasonable fps threshold. So it's smooth and beautiful from the first.

The explosion lighting effects are very well done, as are those for the navigation lights and blinking weapons indicators, all are top notch. The heat/exhaust effects are up to the LOMAC standards (+), but this motion blur feature is going to take some additional study.

By far, my most enthusiastic statement is reserved for the Shadow Mapping feature. Cockpit shadows are so well simulated it's scary :o . "Cockpit shadows provide the office in which you sit and every button, knob, switch and structure within the cockpit will cast a shadow" Amazingly well done :thumbsup: .

I must say though, the same type of original F4.0, canned debriefing jokes really wears on a re-learners nerves rather quickly... but that's a small price to pay :)

Vimeo is better than YouTube, better HD quality, no in-video advertisements and no annoying copyright restrictions forcing users to watch on Google's own domain. But nice video nonetheless. It's a torrent right? You upload to piratebay yet?

Vimeo is better than YouTube, better HD quality, no in-video advertisements and no annoying copyright restrictions forcing users to watch on Google's own domain. But nice video nonetheless. It's a torrent right? You upload to piratebay yet?

Vimeo sucks scripts wise though :P and is usually hard to kick start on a FireFox setup with NoScript, and especially a pain when NoScript has Alzheimers and tends to forget.

Hey here is a TripleScreen shot for you guys too Drool over HEHE!! Also they added S3D support I am in Virtual Sim Heaven..

f4bms2.jpg

By the_nephilim at 2011-09-05

SO NOW what is your excuse NOT too get TripleScreen (No Whining about MONEY SAVE that is what I did nobody is as poor as me ;)

SO NOW what is your excuse NOT too get TripleScreen (No Whining about MONEY SAVE that is what I did nobody is as poor as me ;)

I wouldn't be able to get 3 monitors and the TH2G passed CINCHOUSELANT. She would say it was a money issue, and unfortunately she'd be right.

This is the ADF/TAW Forum! Please don't try and distract me! Oh ....... those screenshots! .... and that's the two seater trainer! Its like my desktop for the last 5 years

2008-12-23_02_17_07.jpg

...... I love the looks of the F16, and now its in high definition! Anyway, back to TAW2.0 Campaign beta testing .. ;)

A good word about TAW2.0

Just before we all go off or rush back to Falcon 4.0. Yes its great, but its bloody hard unless you fly in arcade mode. I think we all flew, or fly, in realistic mode and I can't help going back to try it all again now and then. I never got to fly MP; it was just too much of a challenge and so many buttons, switches, Radar modes, etc; its mind boggling.

That's why I'm here at TAW2.0. The F22 is so much more friendly to fly (which must be the case in the real world as well). So I won't be rushing back to a BMS4: it still the tough Fsim it ever was. At this forum, let's here it for TAW2.0. :thumbsup:

The switchology for BMS4 is even more involved. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the new comms requirements, though I did program my DTC for my standard preferred MFD settings.

Ah count me out then... I am having enough issues getting my head around the MD-11...

Fortunatly the hydraulic, fuel, air and electric system are fully automated but with a manual function... However I haven't gotten around to that yet :P

The FMS though is what I am learning right now and that is a tricky computer.

As for LOMAC, well I lost interest when I had learned the basics and I forgot it :P

At least with civillian airliners, none of the stuff you learn disappears... It always comes back to you.

A good word about TAW2.0

Just before we all go off or rush back to Falcon 4.0. Yes its great, but its bloody hard unless you fly in arcade mode. I think we all flew, or fly, in realistic mode and I can't help going back to try it all again now and then. I never got to fly MP; it was just too much of a challenge and so many buttons, switches, Radar modes, etc; its mind boggling.

That's why I'm here at TAW2.0. The F22 is so much more friendly to fly (which must be the case in the real world as well). So I won't be rushing back to a BMS4: it still the tough Fsim it ever was. At this forum, let's here it for TAW2.0. :thumbsup:

More and more 'flying' is becoming like operations management. The more modern airline transport aircraft are now fly-by-wire (pilots don't have to worry about trimming anymore, etc) and all the inputs go through a computer. The new civilian jets have HUGS (military version of a HUD) and airbus aircraft has long gotten rid of the control column in favor for a joystick. The fly-by-wire dynamics basically forces "training wheels" on the pilots. Everywhere you look the art of real flying is going bye-bye. GE making "next gen" engines that are entirely electric... the Boeing 787 cockpit looks like on the set of Star Trek. Take "glass cockpit" to a whole new level, only the entire flight deck is fully glass now. Pilots now replacing paper with ipads (there is an app for that!) and newer planes basically have laptops built-in to the cockpit. No more manuals/books/maps I guess. And on the military side fighter jets are going to be obsolete as UAV takes over. Pilots won't have a job in the future. Lets face it, this is something computers do /will soon do better.

So I wouldn't say TAW is unrealistic just because of its simplicity... (it was actually ahead of its time) everything in real life is becoming more and more dumbed-down and "unrealistic" as we speak. In flight simulator I never land the plane by hand anymore just all full autopilot landings. (no one shooting at me on FSX, so I don't have damaged systems by the time I land, lol) But I'm still waiting for a self-driving car.

More and more 'flying' is becoming like operations management. The more modern airline transport aircraft are now fly-by-wire (pilots don't have to worry about trimming anymore, etc) and all the inputs go through a computer. The new civilian jets have HUGS (military version of a HUD) and airbus aircraft has long gotten rid of the control column in favor for a joystick. The fly-by-wire dynamics basically forces "training wheels" on the pilots. Everywhere you look the art of real flying is going bye-bye. GE making "next gen" engines that are entirely electric... the Boeing 787 cockpit looks like on the set of Star Trek. Take "glass cockpit" to a whole new level, only the entire flight deck is fully glass now. Pilots now replacing paper with ipads (there is an app for that!) and newer planes basically have laptops built-in to the cockpit. No more manuals/books/maps I guess. And on the military side fighter jets are going to be obsolete as UAV takes over. Pilots won't have a job in the future. Lets face it, this is something computers do /will soon do better.

So I wouldn't say TAW is unrealistic just because of its simplicity... (it was actually ahead of its time) everything in real life is becoming more and more dumbed-down and "unrealistic" as we speak. In flight simulator I never land the plane by hand anymore just all full autopilot landings. (no one shooting at me on FSX, so I don't have damaged systems by the time I land, lol) But I'm still waiting for a self-driving car.

Interesting post. :thumbsup: