Installing HF's DX profile to my Cougar - TAKE 2

Wombat1940

Thanks to HF the Cougar is now up and running again. Which due to my efforts to try and achieve the same, means a re-installation of HF BMS4 Cougar v1.1

To achieve the same I thought I'd start a new thread to monitor its progress.

So here goes:

1. I've installed the microstick.tmc to the stick shown in the CCP screenshot as follows. Please note the the check box for "Apply Enable/disable Windows axes states" is checked.

2. I've completed a manual calibration and all axes successfully calibrated.

Edit: Having successfully installed the CCP, checked axes in viewer and tested in BMS4, I've made another change apart from "ticking the check box" Which is unchecked in your CCP.

I reversed the axes 7 and 8 to get the right movement in the sim for the cursors.

The revised Screenprint shows the incorporation of these changes.

3. Have checked the viewer and there is no movement of the microstick X & Y axes as indicated in the following screenshot.

T2HFBMSCCP3.jpg

4. I've now installed your .tmj and tmm into Foxy and downloaded to the 'stick without problems.

5. In the Setup window of the BMS4 I've selected BMS-HF as the Keyboard Controller and set the Advance Controller screens as follows:

T2HFBMSVC.jpg

T2HFBMSFC.jpg

T2HFBMSAC.jpg

I can now taxi using the 'stick to turn.

From your previous post I will now check the following:

* Paddle switch does double duty as autopilot override and wheel brakes; not sure why it didn't work for you, but I'll re-check the profile on my end.

* Since the profile is with TrackIR users in mind, the hat switch defaults to trim instead of views while in the "3" view. Views are Pinkie-trim hat.

* Pinkie-DMS Up switches you to "2" view and sets views to default. trim is Pinkie-trim hat.

* Pinkie-DMS Down toggles between "3" and "4" view. in these views, trim is back to default, with views as Pinkie-trim hat

* While in "4" view (padlock), DMS left and right switches padlock targets, not MFD views. Otherwise, DMS left/right does MFD views (like the real deal)

* Pinkie and holding down DMS left gives you NVGs. Pinkie and holding down DMS right toggles zoom look.

* Comm switch up/down does UHF/VHF voice like the real thing (for IVC), but also transmits on Teamspeak 3 (double function).

* Pinkie-pickle centers TrackIR, though you may need to remap the macro to your TIR Center command. Same goes with TS-TX and whatever key you use for PTT in Teamspeak.

But what about braking on the taxiway?

and Gear up/down?

Do you use the keyboard?

Edited by Wombat1940

This one of the many frustrating things about the Cougar:

1. Nothing should be simpler than calibrating the axes and then seeing them move in the viewer.

2. Of course the viewer shows peddles and I testing the Microstick. Well picked up Neph. ;) Why show rudder peddles when they not part of the Cougar? They are an accessory. Why not mark then as the microstick axes which come with the Cougar?

3. But of course I'm substituting the Rudder axes for the Microstick axes. :rolleyes: Oh ye ...... The view of the rudder has 3 axes and 2 pedals. :unsure: Maybe they're tow brakes. :rofl:

4. And then of course there's mention of the Z, S1, XR, ZR, etc axes shown in the viewer but not on the CCP. But that's because ......... shall I go on or have I made my point ...... :angry: Its a joke.

5. Oh.....I forgot. Let me talk about "flashing" the lastest drivers. ..... maybe not. :lol:

Of course I don't have the advantage of being a programmer. I'm just a stupid sim. pilot. Or hope to be.

I've got the microsticks working. You need to tick the "Apply Enable/disable Windows axes states" box in the CCP Axes Setup, Apply and re-boot your computer.

I've got the microsticks working. You need to tick the "Apply Enable/disable Windows axes states" box in the CCP Axes Setup, Apply and re-boot your computer.

Yes Wombat I had to enable the same thing to get the cursor button to work.. now how do I program it too the cursor, so I can free up one of my hat switches on the stick??

Thing are progressing well. I can steer on the ground, look around with or without TrackIR and hit <g> on the keyboard to raise/lower the gear. However its all the other things that I want to do which I assume have been programmed to the Cougar, but I can't recognize them. Like this:

Diagram-1.jpg

Where is it listed what is programmed to all the button/HATs/Knobs/etc. I still haven't found what locks the target. KP0 doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

Yes Wombat I had to enable the same thing to get the cursor button to work.. now how do I program it too the cursor so I can free up one of my hat switches on the stick??

HF's profile does it for by using the microstick. However if you want to use a HAT switch instead,

you can do it through Foxy using the <ARROW> keys, [eg. HAT1U /I /H UPARROW rem ..... ] but you're not ready for that yet ...... ;)

Well it performing well. :thumbsup: But there's not way I could develop a DX profile from scratch. In fact what's the point; its better to build on what someone else as developed: HF, Jagstang, Toad, Dunc. HF worked on Jagstang's for BMS4 and its good. I've started customizing mine already. HF's profile is particularly good if you have no Rudder pedals and/or Toe Brakes. If others have both, Dunc (at the BMS4 Forum) has an alternative.

Can I publicly thank Home fries for getting me this far, particularly that hand held effort to flash my Cougar the other night. :icon_salute3: Prior to that, I got close to dusting off my Sidewinder. :lol:

You've said elsewhere that its only you and I flying with your/Jagstang's Cougar profile. Not quite true, Neph is tweaking it hugely to suit his needs but he's still using you 'stick steering when on the ground. I have at times sung the praises of Dunc's profile but I couldn't get it to run from scratch like I could with yours. The more I understand yours the better I like it and the less customized tweaking I will need to do. Today's flight was a huge leap for me in that direction.

However I have mentioned it at the 72nd forum. By name but not with details or links. There aren't any public links to my knowledge. If and when you get the ok from Jagstang, I'm sure it would stand very favorably at the 72nd and BMS4 forums. IMHO it needs tidying up for the Graphic layout and Readme file with Foxy (no trouble for you) and its mostly been done previously by Jagstang. Its just another option for the Cougar and there aren't many around for BMS4. My 2c Worth.

Thing are progressing well. I can steer on the ground, look around with or without TrackIR and hit <g> on the keyboard to raise/lower the gear. However its all the other things that I want to do which I assume have been programmed to the Cougar, but I can't recognize them. Like this:

Diagram-1.jpg

Where is it listed what is programmed to all the button/HATs/Knobs/etc. I still haven't found what locks the target. KP0 doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

The display of what you ask is an example of the logic codes you don't want to know about. That is DMS Left, which does triple duty as cycle left MFD (default), toggle padlock targets back (when in padlock view), and "Look Closer" when held for .5 seconds. DMS Right is the same, except it also toggles padlock targets forward and enables NVGs when held for .5s. Finally, and I forgot to mention this before, but Pinkie-T6 enables CMS Program 5 (i.e. it emulates the "slap switch" next to the throttle in the jet).

You would probably have an easier time looking at the code itself and finding my REM comments. Again, even though I have logic flags all over the place, the stick defaults to the actual FLCS functions in the jet. In fact, the REM statements also tell you what lines you can enable/rem out in order to tweak the profile how you like it.

Do you use the keyboard?

Yes, albeit sparingly. Most other functions have been programmed into my PC Dash 2 and my Masterpilots. However, the beauty of the BMS.key (and BMS-HF.key for that matter) is that the keypad is very nicely set up as the ICP, with the arrow keys as the DCS switch. Also, the Home/End/Ins/Del controls the RWR settings and PGUP/PGDN is your ICP rocker switch.

Yes Wombat I had to enable the same thing to get the cursor button to work.. now how do I program it too the cursor so I can free up one of my hat switches on the stick??

I'm assuming Neph got this fixed using the axis config in-game.

Oh, and one more post for good measure. I'm making you work to overtake my post count, Battie! :P

:rofl:

Thanks for all the responses above. :thumbsup:

Just one another. I'm about to start formal training at the 72ndVFW and need to meet some pre-flight training mandatory and non-mandatory requirements .

Page 12 of this document refers to HOTAS setting.

Does your profile meet the requirements specified or do I need to make some changes?

39 to go .... :P

Does your profile meet the requirements specified or do I need to make some changes?

It meets requirements in every respect, and in fact exceeds the "default" profile because it defaults the hat switch to trim while in the 3D/TrackIR view. Every "unshifted" command covers down on the actual F-16 HOTAS.

One more function I forgot to mention (and one that hopefully you use sparingly): The combination (shift (Pinkie) - DMS UP - Comm Switch up) held for 1/2 second will eject you.

There's also another logic function mapped that you will be unable to use because it involves pressing a toe brake. This is to switch you to "away" in TS3 on the occasions where we need to use IVC, and it will keep you from spamming the TS3 room. We will need to figure out another button combination for you, and also set you up in TS3 with the same ability. Not a big deal for now, though.

It meets requirements in every respect, and in fact exceeds the "default" profile because it defaults the hat switch to trim while in the 3D/TrackIR view. Every "unshifted" command covers down on the actual F-16 HOTAS. FOV actually does double duty on the pinkie button with the "shift" function. Hold pinkie for shift, tap pinkie for FOV.

One more function I forgot to mention (and one that hopefully you use sparingly): The combination (shift (Pinkie) - DMS UP - Comm Switch up) held for 1/2 second will eject you.

There's also another logic function mapped that you will be unable to use because it involves pressing a toe brake. This is to switch you to "away" in TS3 on the occasions where we need to use IVC, and it will keep you from spamming the TS3 room. We will need to figure out another button combination for you, and also set you up in TS3 with the same ability. Not a big deal for now, though.

It meets requirements in every respect, and in fact exceeds the "default" profile because it defaults the hat switch to trim while in the 3D/TrackIR view. Every "unshifted" command covers down on the actual F-16 HOTAS. FOV actually does double duty on the pinkie button with the "shift" function. Hold pinkie for shift, tap pinkie for FOV.

Thanks. I'm really limiting any tweaks to your profile of obvious reasons. But I need to include Gear up/down somewhere.

What would you suggest?

Also .... what else do you have programmed elsewhere (on that thing-a-me thing you've got) that I need to put on my Cougar, or have you already covered that in v1.1?

I'm planning on putting together a "readme" graphic when I'm done with work today that should help you out.

For landing gear, you have some free logic codes since you aren't using the toe brakes. If you aren't using the shift-TMS as the DCS switch (a function I put on for my failed DCS switch on my PC-Dash 2), I recommend assigning separate gear up/gear down functions to shift-TMS Up and shift-TMS Dn. You want to use logic codes so that you can force the macro to act only when holding the key combo down for a certain period of time (i.e. 1/2 second). This prevents inadvertent gear cycling while using your TMS and FOV at the same time (which would really hose you in a fight).

@Neph, in fact I can duplicate the same function for your profile since you don't use toe brakes either.

I'm planning on putting together a "readme" graphic when I'm done with work today that should help you out.

For landing gear, you have some free logic codes since you aren't using the toe brakes. If you aren't using the shift-TMS as the DCS switch (a function I put on for my failed DCS switch on my PC-Dash 2), I recommend assigning separate gear up/gear down functions to shift-TMS Up and shift-TMS Dn. You want to use logic codes so that you can force the macro to act only when holding the key combo down for a certain period of time (i.e. 1/2 second). This prevents inadvertent gear cycling while using your TMS and FOV at the same time (which would really hose you in a fight).

@Neph, in fact I can duplicate the same function for your profile since you don't use toe brakes either.

Yes. Can you write the line(s) to insert for me please?

First, be sure to rem out the section at the bottom regarding rudder and toe brakes. Neph, this has already been done for you.

I'll recycle those codes for your landing gear in a bit. I need to compose the lines first.

By-the-by I'd love you to post your profile at the 72nd and BMS forums as I've said previously. There's some prestige in doing so and there's no shame in that. Join the elite group of Jagstang, Dunc, Nutty, etc ...... you deserve it. :thumbsup: But it needs tidying up first as I also said elsewhere: the graphics, the diagrams, the readme and you're big on detail so it would be a natural for you. It would be great for the BMS4/Cougar fraternity. Maybe it can be also configured for the X52 and X65? Just a thought ..... ;)

EDIT: Gees! I've passed the 2500 .... :rolleyes: