COMBATSIM Forum

Hi ya all,

For some reason my TM COUGAR throttle quit working. The COUGAR software is not seeing it. My stick works great but every time I go into the windows game controller it fails to see it. I have tried everything including all the fix the problems on this forum that u guys post. I purchased the combo way back in 2004. Maby it just quit. i hope not, Is there anyone out there that can share with me something new to fix my problem? If not, where can I get a either a good used TM COUGAR or a new set for a decent price.

Thank you. :angry:

Welcome to the forum, Bravo :)

I'm not a Cougar expert, but I'll try to help the best I can until the wiser folks can get in here and offer some advice. In the meantime, let's start with the basics: What's your operating system (e.g., Win98, WinNT, WinXP, Win7)?

I think we have some TM Cougar experts in the F22: TAW community that hangs out here ... with luck they'll see this topic and take over :)

This might help. [Occasionally my Couger (have to whisper here because she might be listening and she's very sensitive .... ;)) just "dies", give up, plays dead. It got to the point where I almost replaced it.] I'm a non-technical type (well with computers anyway). Try the reflashing it might fix yours as well.

Flashing my Cougar:

See here: (Bravo, please read first)

But its basically this:

Reflashing Your Cougar

1. Remove your Cougar USB plug from the Computer

2. Disconnect your THROTTLE from the 'stick.

3. Replug your Cougar USB to the Computer but only after 15 seconds has passed since unplugging it.

4. Go to your C;/Programs/HOTAS folder and double click on the little green F16 icon (ie. the HOTAS Update.exe)

5. Follow the instructions you are given.

6. Re-plug the THROTTLE to the 'stick.

Bravo said: I have tried all that and I still can't get my throttle to work. Thanks for your help, ill just keep trying or try to find a complete new combo unit. After I have used several HOTAS I am spoiled with the COUGAR.

My reply: Hope you don't mind me post your response to me here (definitely not my normal procedure :angry: ) but it seems harmless and very relevant to others who might be able to help.

I love my Cougar (hope she's listening this time ;)) and had its predecessor F-22 Pro and TQS RCS until it gave up after its second set on pots. Not sure what to say about your throttle, except maybe post the problem at the TM forum site.

Secondhand Cougars are available but very hard to come by. I think I could have sold mine twice over. :lol:

Hi ya all,

For some reason my TM COUGAR throttle quit working. The COUGAR software is not seeing it. My stick works great but every time I go into the windows game controller it fails to see it. I have tried everything including all the fix the problems on this forum that u guys post. I purchased the combo way back in 2004. Maby it just quit. i hope not, Is there anyone out there that can share with me something new to fix my problem? If not, where can I get a either a good used TM COUGAR or a new set for a decent price.

Thank you. :angry:

Why are you using the Windows Game Controller? The Cougar is not meant for that. It was its own viewer in the Cougar Control Panel.

Have you checked the cable connection from the Throttle to the 'stick?

Are the Buttons/Knobs/Rotaries working on the Throttle?

USB controllers, I presume? It could be that Winblows forgot you had a throttle or perhaps you plugged in another USB device that bumped your throttle from the device list. I'd certainly try unplugging the throttle, wait a minute, then plug it back in.

Another possibility is a failing/failed USB port. If the port is failed it could be the socket itself, it's cable, or the motherboard. I lost a hard drive on my computer, thought it was toast. Turned out the drive was fine, but the SATA 2 port on the motherboard had failed. These things do happen.

Bravo,

When you say that the throttle isn't recognized, do you refer to the throttle axis, or does this include the range knob, antenna knob, and all of the buttons on the throttle as well? This is an important question in determining what might be the issue.

If it is only the throttle axis unrecognized (the ANT/RNG knobs and T-buttons work), then you may have flashed to the latest firmware with the throttle still connected. There is an issue with the latest firmware that can fry the throttle potentiometer if it is connected while the joystick is updating. If it is this, then the good news is that you can still get replacement pots for your throttle.

If the throttle unit is not recognized at all, then we need to look further.