COMBATSIM Forum
Redfalcon

Driver update software?

You mean something that automatically searches for updated drivers? I'm not too fond of those things, not all updated drivers are good drivers.

That's true.....i have all my original drivers backed up for reinstall if problems arise, when updating a sound card driver you need to update the motherboard chipset driver too i think?, you would of thought they'd make this whole process much easier!.

Not necessarily. More often than not, motherboard drivers are fine with new drivers for peripherals. You may need to update motherboard drivers for improved system stability, improved over clocking, CPU upgrades, and sometimes video card and sound card upgrades. I've never had to update my motherboard just to install newer sound or video drivers. The only time I've updated this motherboard was when I installed the Q9650 CPU. When this motherboard was released there were very few Core2Quad CPU's and the drivers that came with this board did not support the Q9650 quad core, so I had to update the motherboard driver.

Also, not all motherboard driver updates are good. Once in a while a new motherboard driver will wreak havoc with a previously stable computer. With any driver, I let others be the guinea pigs. I'll read about their experiences before I update.

Thanks for that Stans....but think i've sorted it!, i've updated everything from here-

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx

All signed driver's for xp, you need to search for them but trusted!, i think?...and you need to extract some of them from CAB then tell windows where to look, if windows find's nothing better in them it will not update.

Don't install the catalog finder just select 'no install' and search for them that way, add to basket and download.

Edited by redfalcon

I feel reasonably certain that it's a trusted site.

I let Windows Vista do all the driver updates once, the video driver it installed was horrible compared to the one that came with my laptop. Took a bit of doing, but I finally overcame all of the security measures in Vista and rolled back that video driver.

I'm a pack rat when it comes to drivers. I keep all of my drivers sorted by OS, date, version on a NAS drive. Keeping drivers is also a great idea because often times the hardware lasts longer than the company making it.

Yes I too like updating but First I read about the Update and see what it Fixes First.. I also sometimes on a Major Update let others test it too see what happens to the Masses like Video Drivers..

I too am NOT a Big fan of those websites that do the Updating for me.. I like to go through each update myself to see what if anything that I experience is broke to be fixed other then that I am happy with older stuff unless it fixes a Old issue I have experienced..

I like keeping a HDD just for my Downloads of Game Patches and drivers.. I try and keep a sorted bunch like HomeFries Stated sometimes the company gooes away and so does the Drivers..

It is good to keep some old and new Drivers on a seperate HDD for Future use..Especially game Patches and Goodies..