COMBATSIM Forum
The_Nephilim

EECH and the cougar??

Hey HomeFries I am making a Profile for EECH and I need to know how I can Program the Microstick as a FLIR controller.. That way I can pan around with the FLIR with the Microstick?? I can't seem to figure it out??

Also I need to make the ant ELV the Rudder??

Also I need to make the ant ELV the Rudder??

Just in regard to above. I use the Range Knob for the Rudder, which is similar to what you are seeking to do with the ANT knob. I switch the rotary axis in axis window, but I can't show which one as I am away from my PC and don't have access to my setup. But its a matter switching the two axis and checking in the viewer.

The only problem, as discussed elsewhere , it doesn't self cancel. So you can accidentally have the rudder engaged. I'm using my X52 at the moment with Rudder control built into the 'stick. You'd know all about that with your X52. How nice is that. Its so much harder using a non-centering rudder control with the Cougar Range Knob. Just watch me taxiing. ;)

Here's the deal with the microstick as it pertains to EECH:

If you don't program the microstick, you can set it to be the FLIR control from the control setup in EECH. You may need to select Left/Right toe brake, but it is there. Also, set your range knob for the zoom. This will give you analog control and zoom in the Comanche and Hokum.

To get control and zoom in the Apache and Havoc, you need to also program the keys and zoom-in/out to the microstick/range keys. I'll post my routine when I get to my gaming rig. The Apache/Havoc use fixed FOV increments (Wide-Medium-Narrow-Zoom) and aren't recognized by the analog axis. However, programming them while having the analog set in EECH will allow you to do both since the analog control will override the digital control when you are in the Comanche/Hokum.

I have since tweaked my profile to allow for some nice logic flags. I still need to make a control layout, but I will let you know when it's ready. Also, when are you going to get a TrackIR so you don't need to tweak my profiles? <_<

EDIT: Another thought for the rudder-challenged folks: if you only use the rudder sparingly, why not assign it to a digital axis such as T4/T5? You lose some precision, but the rudder auto-centers. I'm not sure I would want this in a sim like IL-2 (where you need analog rudder to offset prop torque and do coordinated turns), but jet sims really only use rudder on the ground, and you could probably get away with digital rudder in EECH.

Edited by Home Fries

One more thing for Neph:

CH Gameport Rudders (Amazon)

These will work out of the box as rudders, and you can do some rewiring to make the toe brakes work w/ the Cougar.

EDIT: USB rudders will work as a separate controller with EECH, but then you'll be out of luck with TAW. Connecting gameport rudders to the Cougar is the only way to get all axes on one controller.

Here's the deal with the microstick as it pertains to EECH:

If you don't program the microstick, you can set it to be the FLIR control from the control setup in EECH. You may need to select Left/Right toe brake, but it is there. Also, set your range knob for the zoom. This will give you analog control and zoom in the Comanche and Hokum.

To get control and zoom in the Apache and Havoc, you need to also program the keys and zoom-in/out to the microstick/range keys. I'll post my routine when I get to my gaming rig. The Apache/Havoc use fixed FOV increments (Wide-Medium-Narrow-Zoom) and aren't recognized by the analog axis. However, programming them while having the analog set in EECH will allow you to do both since the analog control will override the digital control when you are in the Comanche/Hokum.

Also, when are you going to get a TrackIR so you don't need to tweak my profiles? <_<

OK NVM I unselected the Right and left toe brakes in the Options screen in EECH and it now works.. I just dont see why it did not work like you stated ?? Dont matter It works that is fine with me now I just need to program a FLIR Center Key.. THNX!!

I am not looking to get a TrackIR in the meantime or foreseable future..

Dont matter It works that is fine with me now I just need to program a FLIR Center Key.

I set mine to a logic flag when I hold down T1 for 300ms I'll post the routine.

I am not looking to get a TrackIR in the meantime or foreseable future..

Rgr that. We have our priorities.

I set mine to a logic flag when I hold down T1 for 300ms I'll post the routine.

Rgr that. We have our priorities.

Well I had selected T1 or it was already set to lock up the target with the T1 key it worked ok. I just selected another key for the Center FLIR which is an important key..

Ya I have the Track IR so low on a priority list but just in case you wondering what the Priorities are here they are in order of buying and priotity:

1. 2 New Bulbs for my Projector I miss my S3d and Triple screens..

2. A new 480 GTX vid card..

3. A watercooled System for my i5 to get near 5 ghz.. and water cool these Hot Vid cards.. Plus to make the rig more quiet.. kinda sounds like a dust buster when the vid card is running at 100%..

4. SSD Drive 240GB hopefully by time I get around to getting this the Prices will have droped..

5. By this time rolls around looking for perhaps a few new projectors?? or the Track IR?? Still undecided..

Well I had selected T1 or it was already set to lock up the target with the T1 key it worked ok. I just selected another key for the Center FLIR which is an important key..

There's a way to make the button do double duty without having the hold function also trigger the click function, so you can click the T1 to lock a target and hold T1 to center the FLIR without locking a target. I'll post the routine when I get a chance.

Ya I have the Track IR so low on a priority list but just in case you wondering what the Priorities are here they are in order of buying and priotity:

Dang. Below a SSD? Did you have a bad experience with one of the TIR knockoffs that turned you off?

And here you go:

This is the routine that allows the analog microstick to also double as a digital axis. This allows digital control for the radar slew as well as use of the FLIR (X21 and X22 are turned on with the command for the Ground and Air Radar respectively, and turned off when reverting to a passive sensor).

MIX 3 X30 ^ X31

MIY 3 X32 ^ X33

DEF X34 X30 AND (X22 OR X21)

DEF X35 X31 AND (X22 OR X21)

DEF X36 X32 AND (X22 OR X21)

DEF X37 X33 AND (X22 OR X21)

BTN X34 /A Sensor_left

BTN X35 /A Sensor_right

BTN X36 /A Sensor_down

BTN X37 /A Sensor_Up

Rem doubles as analog and digital range, /I analog only for reset 

RNG /I ^

/O 1 6  Increase_Range   Decrease_Range  ^
You can also see the profile I use for the Range knob (above). Since some of the helos use incremental FOV as opposed to analog zoom, it works regardless of which helo you are in. Finally, here is the logical code for the T1 button. You can set delays to allow buttons to have separate functions based on the time held (or not held in this case as well). The T1 has four functions based on length of hold as well as S3 (shift function).
BTN T1 KD(X18) DLY(60) KU(X18)  		rem set for tap (lock)

DEF X4 NOT S3 AND NOT T1 AND X18

BTN X4 Target_lock_unlock

DEF X5 DELAY (300) NOT S3 AND T1 

BTN X5  Sensor_center 

BTN X20 FLIRGndStabilized

DEF X20 DELAY (300) T1 AND S3 AND NOT X21 AND NOT X22

BTN X23  Target_visual_lock_unlock

DEF X23 S3 AND NOT T1 AND X18 

You;ll notice that T1 itself doesn't do anything except activate the X18 flag for 60ms. S3 notwithstanding, everything else is based on whether T1 is released within 60ms (tap), or held for 300ms (hold). Notice that the taps indicate X18 and that T1 is not pressed, which only occurs between the time that the T1 is released and the 60ms that starts when T1 is pressed..

Hope this helps.

OK rezzing this thread and still do NOT fully understand your Little Profile you made there but I have an Idea..

I tried getting the MicroStick to PAN the FLIR again in EE2 and it ONLY goes Horisontially..

I think I am going to try and Program the Microstick to Keypresses..

:superscare: My Eyes! :superscare:

:lol:

I'm not sure how EE2 works, but with EECH you can set both X and Y axes of the EO sensor FOV to an analog stick (i.e. the microstick). For the Comanche or Hokum, this allows you to pan without having anything programmed, but you will need the digital commands for the Apache or Mi-28 Havoc. Therefore, being able to adjust your FOV in the Comanche/Hokum is dependent on your in-game controller settings, and not your profile.

Well NOT sure what you mean again but I just programmed the Microstick to act as the Mouse and I have a FLIR to move.. I have the ZOOM Function of the FLIR Programmed to the Antenna Rotary..

Neph,

What I am saying is that even if you don't have a profile loaded, you can still select the microstick axes in EECH to control your EO sensor. Does EE2 have this control mapping option?

Neph,

What I am saying is that even if you don't have a profile loaded, you can still select the microstick axes in EECH to control your EO sensor. Does EE2 have this control mapping option?

Is that where I select the Microstick to use the Toe Brakes?? If so I tried that and was uanble to get 1 of axes working..,

It might be listed as toe brakes in EE, but if you don't have toe brakes on your rudders it should map to your microstick. If not, check your cougar control panel to make sure that the axes are properly assigned.

Well I assigned the Microstick X Axes to 6 HOTAS Axes and MS Y to 8 HOTAS Axes and the Toe Brakes work fine in the Viewer.. If I assign the Y axes to 7 HOTAS Axes It does NOT work right in the viewer..

So I then select TOE BRakes Right and Left in EE2 Controller Options screen and that is supposed to control the FLIR but I can Only get 1 Axes Working at a time.. ie it will only Pan Left right..

It is really n ot important as I assigned the Microstick to be used as the Mouse and I got it working that way.. so basically it is Fixed now with a more reliable way to get it working..

I appreciate the Help tho

Just curious, Neph: do both microstick analog axes work in BMS?

NOPE wierd?? Perhaps I have something setup wrong in the Axes CCP??

Try putting MIY on Axis 7 and Rudder on 8 and see if that helps.

The other thing that might work is Rudder on 6, MIX on 7, MIY on 8.

is Rudder on 6, MIX on 7, MIY on 8

That fixed it thnx was driving me nuts hehe!!

Also besides the Simped Gameport Rudders what is a good set of rudders to get for Cougar?? You have the X Rudder??

is Rudder on 6, MIX on 7, MIY on 8

That fixed it thnx was driving me nuts hehe!!

:beer2:

Also besides the Simped Gameport Rudders what is a good set of rudders to get for Cougar?? You have the X Rudder??

I use a set of CH Pros (gameport) which I rewired to enable the toe brakes.