COMBATSIM Forum

Padlocking Static Targets .......

Wombat1940

I notice visually padlocking static target doesn't always work, or works in an odd ways. I was doing a recon. of the EWR Dish and Comms building in the mission Roulette. I deliberately didn't drop the JDAMs. I selected mavericks and flew close to get a good visual; F11 to select static padlocks and F4 to select a target and got the report "no static targets in visual range" :unsure: . I then moved over to the adjacent airfield to see if I could visually padlock static targets there and immediately padlocked the EWR Dish and Comms I had just left which were now about 5 miles away. :blink: I wanted to add to my AI wingman's shoot list; using the S key and selecting either the Dish or Building or both. This I thought would be useful on this and other occasions, so as to get the wingman to make a second pass using his available mavericks.

Also, what instruction is given to the AI wingman so as he attempts to take out the additionally selected static target(s)?

And one other: which weapon does he select as he has JDAMs and mavericks in his A-G loadout?

EDIT: Maybe I need to fly another recon. mission to find out. :lol:

Edited by Wombat1940

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, what instruction is given to the AI wingman so as he attempts to take out the additionally selected static target(s)?

I think "TAB - 3 - 1" or "1 - 1 - 3 - 1" is 'Engage my Target'

Just don't know if this will work in this case: would be interesting to know though!

And one other: which weapon does he select as he has JDAMs and mavericks in his A-G loadout?

EDIT: Maybe I need to fly another recon. mission to find out. :lol:

I think the weapon selection is determined by pylon order.

The first pylon with a suitable weapon will be used.

Here is the default order: (Looking at the plane if the pilot is sitting in the pit, looking forwards.)

And by pylon, I mean the thingy that weapons can be placed at. These can be internal or external.

PYLON 1 = External, Far left Hardpoint

PYLON 2 = External, Far Right Hardpoint

PYLON 3 = External, Close Left Hardpoint

PYLON 4 = External, Close Right Hardpoint

PYLON 5 = Internal, Left AIM9x bay

PYLON 6 = Internal, Right AIM9x bay

PYLON 7 = Internal, leftmost bombbay slot (1st from left to right)

PYLON 8 = Internal, rightmost bombbay slot (6th from left to right)

PYLON 9 = Internal, 2nd bombay slot from left to right

PYLON 10 = Internal, 5th bombbay slot from left to right

PYLON 11 = Internal, 3rd bombbay slot from left to right

PYLON 12 = Internal, 4th bombbay slot from left to right

PYLON 13 = Internal, overload slot, replaces 2nd and 3rd slots when internal bombs are selected

PYLON 14 = Internal, overload slot, replaces 4th and 5th slots when internal bombs are selected

if a valid air 2 ground weapon is both in pylon 13 and 14 for example, it will first fire 13, then for the next target 14.

try setting up a bombrun mission with a JDAM and a AGM65 in the two bomb internal slots.

whichever one is leftmost (when the pilot and the plane is facing forward) should be fired first.

(oh yeah this list is out of memory, which might not be the best on new years :D but rest assured, there is a certain pylon order, which you can use to set up your flight accordingly. might not be this one i posted above, but i think it is :D if it isn't i'll edit and correct it ^^)

Thanks for that. I think they're pylons or racks. I'll do some testing to check the order and also do do some tests with an AI wingie's.

But what about the the lack of visual padlocking at close quarters? This would be painful after a long flight on ingress to fine you couldn't visually padlock a static target. :(

Thanks for that. I think they're pylons or racks. I'll do some testing to check the order and also do do some tests with an AI wingie's.

But what about the the lack of visual padlocking at close quarters? This would be painful after a long flight on ingress to fine you couldn't visually padlock a static target. :(

Sometimes the padlock tracking is a bit fussy, like you noticed.

I find it helps cycling through the various padlock MODES (air / ground mobiles / ground static) until you get back to static targets, that seems to refresh the list of static targets you can padlock that are close to you. This should let you padlock those buildings you just flew over, but aren't recognized by the padlock.

Also try to make another pass at the target area/building if it still doesn't show up when you try to padlock it..

That usually helps, though I understand it isn't the ideal solution ^^

Sometimes the padlock tracking is a bit fussy, like you noticed.

I find it helps cycling through the various padlock MODES (air / ground mobiles / ground static) until you get back to static targets, that seems to refresh the list of static targets you can padlock that are close to you. This should let you padlock those buildings you just flew over, but aren't recognized by the padlock.

Also try to make another pass at the target area/building if it still doesn't show up when you try to padlock it..

That usually helps, though I understand it isn't the ideal solution ^^

No ....... but if it works ...... its a solution. Thanks. Besides I was able to visually padlock the static target as I moved away. Maybe another solution. :thumbsup:

Well padlocking static targets certainly came in useful this morning....Me and the Wombatinator couldn't find the EWR comms building and dish?, but Eagle's trick worked a treat!....i was out of MK 83's, only cannon left and EWR dish still standing :huh: ....but in comes the Wombatinator rolling in hot, puts a MK 83 straight down the middle of EWR dish!, mission complete!!....welldone Wombat. :icon_salute3:

Well padlocking static targets certainly came in useful this morning....Me and the Wombatinator couldn't find the EWR comms building and dish?, but Eagle's trick worked a treat!....i was out of MK 83's, only cannon left and EWR dish still standing :huh: ....but in comes the Wombatinator rolling in hot, puts a MK 83 straight down the middle of EWR dish!, mission complete!!....welldone Wombat. :icon_salute3:

Thanks Red'. What I need to add, is that it was the only target I hit. :lol: As for Red': he took out a number of static targets (5 I think) and a complementary number of A-A bandits, SAM's and I'm not sure about Shilkas. He then found the "hidden" comms building and dish in the middle of a busy city. Of course I made my usual "hole in the ground" and upon respawn came back to try and knock out a dam wall with dumb '84's; naturally unsuccessfully. :( Apart from this he hosted the mission and flew as a very capable Lead. I've recommended to the Major General (personal friend of mine) that Red' gets immediate promotion or at least a mention in dispatches. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, it was great fun. I'll be your number two anytime. :icon_salute3:

By the way Red', we need to fly that AWACS kill mission again. I think we might do better next time. Its got all the best things going for it: night mission, bandits, a single "T" target, Shikas, SAMs, we have Mavericks, an airbase (once cleared of the A-G) to take our numerous thing with cannon (the pyrotechnics should be spectacular). Its just a 2 man mission (no AI wingy's to rely on) with a follow up strike group targeting the hard points at the airfield. Providing we stay stealthy and we save our fuel ( ;) ) we should be successful. Oh yes ......... we need you as Lead. :icon_bow:

Your too kind Wombat, i'm no veteran that's for sure!...and you got that EWR dish before you respawned :thumbsup: .....and i know what Sweeper is saying, i ordered all three wingmen once to take out 4 tanks, they completely unloaded all their air to ground on 4 tanks!!....talk about overkill!....as for been lead its certainly a big responsibility i'm not sure i enjoyed?, makes you realize just what pressure real life lead combat pilots have on their shoulders!, big respect to them! :thumbsup:

I have noticed when doing strike runs with the Ai armed with Mavericks they just go Haywire.

I mean the offload their entire stack of Mavericks on that target...

6-12 Mavericks in one go is nothing for them :D

Yes ..... I agree. They're the same with '88s. :(

You should come and join us at the EU MP flights Sweeper. I think you're big into commercial flight sims, but you must be flying TAW2.0 in SP sometimes. ;) Best time for you I think would be the EU MP Sessions (18:00:00 Sunday's). Means in Oz I have to wake up at 5.00am Monday's but normal Redfalcon and Eagle fly as well. My problem is just to get up. :lol: Its an easy night (has to be when I'm there with my lack of skills :rolleyes: ). No big deal. ;)

@ Wombat & Red

Wow! Great job guys, looks like you had a lot of fun! :)

Glad to see the padlocking method is helping to find those hidden static targets!

@ Sweeper

Yeap, but I think that's an issue with the AI routine.. I believe for GBUs they also fire all of them for their one target? Same for JDAMs I think as well..

-

As far as I remember, there was a project started once to try to identify how the weapons work.. (How are they guided? What is their fall rate? Weapon-range? Weapon-Maneuverability as in a turn-angle per second? What targeting-methods work for which weapons?) And more importantly: where can these be tweaked/edited?

But I think that study was put on stand-by, as the initial test results showed that weapons weren't that easy to tweak.. I think a better/deeper understanding of certain game files was needed, and was probably more urgent/doable..

For now I don't think that will change all too soon, the focus is currently still on better understanding the files and structures.

-

Off Topic: My rig is kinda working again, No damage was done. PC just bugged out, so with almost everything freshly installed, I should be ready for the WED fly-in. Oh and BTW check out my latest speedtest for my internet connection.......... (faster than 97% of switzerland)

Your too kind Wombat, i'm no veteran that's for sure!...and you got that EWR dish before you respawned :thumbsup: .....and i know what Sweeper is saying, i ordered all three wingmen once to take out 4 tanks, they completely unloaded all their air to ground on 4 tanks!!....talk about overkill!....as for been lead its certainly a big responsibility i'm not sure i enjoyed?, makes you realize just what pressure real life lead combat pilots have on their shoulders!, big respect to them! :thumbsup:

Yeah ...... Lead is tough. You don't realise until you are one. :( As a MP wingie you're so full of "bright" ideas, all different to the Lead's, until you get out there and have to do it yourself. :sofa1: Its the necessity to be decisive. If you delay it often to late! We can all be wise after the action. I think that's where the debrief is important: but as Lead you have to be man enough to listen to constructive criticism. Doesn't mean its right. ;) and you don't have to defend yourself. Bit like that AWACS kill you and I flew the other night: I was Lead I couldn't decide which to take out first (indecisiveness): the AWACS or knock over those pesky Shilkas. :( "We" decided the Shilkas even though I had a lock on the AWACS and in range. Mistake, as we both discussed at the debrief. But we'll do it better next time. :P

Like Wombat, I had the same problem trying to get a useful padlock on a static target. I've kept strange_behavior's guide at hand for just such an occasion, only I was unable to get a padlock/target designation on the comms antenna until after all my dumb bombs had been expended. By this time the environment was swarming with bad guys and, having expended all my A2A gizmos on the way to the target, my forces were simply overwhelmed and I was unable to take out the requisite target, much less survive. Sometimes it just sucks, there's no other way to put it.

Off Topic: My rig is kinda working again, No damage was done. PC just bugged out, so with almost everything freshly installed, I should be ready for the WED fly-in. Oh and BTW check out my latest speedtest for my internet connection.......... (faster than 97% of switzerland)

:jawdrop: I'm packing for Switzerland now ....... :P

Glad about your fix. " ....... PC just bugged out, so with almost everything freshly installed ...... ". I think this is part of my problem. I have so much crap built up over years ..... :rolleyes:

Yes ..... I agree. They're the same with '88s. :(

You should come and join us at the EU MP flights Sweeper. I think you're big into commercial flight sims, but you must be flying TAW2.0 in SP sometimes. ;) Best time for you I think would be the EU MP Sessions (18:00:00 Sunday's). Means in Oz I have to wake up at 5.00am Monday's but normal Redfalcon and Eagle fly as well. My problem is just to get up. :lol: Its an easy night (has to be when I'm there with my lack of skills :rolleyes: ). No big deal. ;)

Well I have been grounded lately, so I need to do a MD-11 refresher course on the FMC again if I am to take that bird to the skies :S

But yeah, I have been meaning to hit the MP flights, but something always comes up, I also got a little project that is expected to start sometime in January so I that will also steal some time.

So yeah, the last flightsim I played was TAW and the Counter Measures training mission :D

Like Wombat, I had the same problem trying to get a useful padlock on a static target. I've kept strange_behavior's guide at hand for just such an occasion, only I was unable to get a padlock/target designation on the comms antenna until after all my dumb bombs had been expended. By this time the environment was swarming with bad guys and, having expended all my A2A gizmos on the way to the target, my forces were simply overwhelmed and I was unable to take out the requisite target, much less survive. Sometimes it just sucks, there's no other way to put it.

I think we both need to talk to Redfalcon. He did say his approach was F11 then Z and S through the static targets. In my case it F11 then F4 then Z and S through the static targets. We need to check with him.

Well I have been grounded lately, so I need to do a MD-11 refresher course on the FMC again if I am to take that bird to the skies :S

But yeah, I have been meaning to hit the MP flights, but something always comes up, I also got a little project that is expected to start sometime in January so I that will also steal some time.

So yeah, the last flightsim I played was TAW and the Counter Measures training mission :D

Counter - what? :blink: Oh! counter measures. All the farting and huffing. Best not to get on my six...... :P

I think we both need to talk to Redfalcon. He did say his approach was F11 then Z and S through the static targets. In my case it F11 then F4 then Z and S through the static targets. We need to check with him.

also using SHIFT + Z and SHIFT + X will cycle through padlock groups, without the shift it will cycle through units within a selected group..

doesn't really apply to static targets, as I don't thing they have groups but it might also be something to try.

When I have been lasing manually, I use the waypoint X to guide me to my target.In nearly all occassions that one is dead center on my target.

Yes i understand that....but the 'X' was on only one target, a multistorey office block!, we still had a power station and its towers, the EWR and other things for mission complete, all these had no waypoint 'X' on them :huh:

In the absence of a target designator icon on the comms antenna, I resorted to the WP marker "X" in hopes it would be close enough. After dropping all 6 dumb bombs on the clearly visible comms antenna, it was only partially damaged and I never was able to satisfy the mission requirement to destroy it. I presume the game requires that munitions be delivered onto the target designator to register a valid hit. I tried everything, including cannon, to no avail. Oh, I could see the comms antenna using the Shift-F4 view, but could never get the "S" key to mark it. I spent way too much time on the target trying to affect a registered kill and wound up paying with my life. Such is combat.

Yes i understand that....but the 'X' was on only one target, a multistorey office block!, we still had a power station and its towers, the EWR and other things for mission complete, all these had no waypoint 'X' on them :huh:

Well I usually take out the primary that is designated for me on the X, and then I move on to secondary targets that I just hunt down via visual and tagging them.

Of course during the campaign, I have a slight understanding of what has a higher value and I go smashing those first and work my way down.

For an example, taking out an EWR control building is more important than their dish.

Well I usually take out the primary that is designated for me on the X, and then I move on to secondary targets that I just hunt down via visual and tagging them.Of course during the campaign, I have a slight understanding of what has a higher value and I go smashing those first and work my way down.For an example, taking out an EWR control building is more important than their dish.

I understand your thought behind that aswell!....but we had to take out everything for mission complete, so in that situation all targets are primary!, you should join the EU flyins Sweeper, you'd be a great help! :thumbsup:

Well I usually take out the primary that is designated for me on the X, and then I move on to secondary targets that I just hunt down via visual and tagging them.

Of course during the campaign, I have a slight understanding of what has a higher value and I go smashing those first and work my way down.

For an example, taking out an EWR control building is more important than their dish.

I understand your thought behind that aswell!....but we had to take out everything for mission complete, so in that situation all targets are primary!

Yeah you're both saying the same thing. I was on that flight with Red' and he took his primary target out first successfully, but we were then trying to takeout the two AI wingie's targets. Only one of 2 came with us and he missed his primary target(s). Red and I were trying to takeout all primary targets of the AI wingman so as to complete the mission successfully. Remember this was a 4 x MP mission with only two real MP pilots.