COMBATSIM Forum

Padlocking Static Targets .......

Wombat1940

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is necessary if you've been cycling through the targets with <C>.

How does that work. S appears to be a toggle (i.e. add to/remove from shoot list). I would think a double-s is a double-negative.

Not doubting you guys; just trying to get my head wrapped around the logic.

I figured out the logic, Eagle.

When you select S to remove the target from the shootlist, it removes (or adds) the padlocked target, not the designated target. Therefore, if you want to be sure you're removing the target from the shootlist you should keep it padlocked through its destruction, then select S to remove it from the shoot list.

Also, U does work to clear the shoot list. That might be a better way of doing business altogether.

1.2 on the way!

Before I make any comments about post #49 where's 1.2?

How does that work. S appears to be a toggle (i.e. add to/remove from shoot list). I would think a double-s is a double-negative.

Not doubting you guys; just trying to get my head wrapped around the logic.

I think after cycling through the static targets, the first press redesignates the target, the second removes it.

Can anyone confirm a mission or steps needed to try to get a building in the shootlist, but not able to remove it again?

Why are we trying to set up/find missions where things don't work. With static padlocking and shoot lists I can find numerous examples where a series of keystrokes DON"T work. Lets stick to what does work.

Concur. As long as the checklist hits the big ticket items and pays lip service to the incidental details, I say we go with it.

At this point, I don't really want to add anything that isn't fundamental to the steps required. I just want to verify the existing scope for accuracy and completeness.

Okay, well to remove any target from the shoot-list, cycle the 'active target marker' to the building you want removed from the list, then press 'F2' to eyeball it before pressing 'S' (edit: twice)(edit nr2: well I feel silly, now it seems I can remove them with 'F2' and a single 'S' - not sure but sometimes it might take two 'S' and sometimes it might take one 'S' - will try to figure out why that happens) to remove it.

I think 'U' should only be a failsafe, and the above method with 'F2' and 'S' should be the 'normal' (non-destructive) way of removing targets from the shootlist, without messing up the list.

-

About trying to find the exception: The reason I was asking, is that I'm not even sure the exception with the 'partially destroyed buildings not being removeable' even exists, so way warn people about it?

But I guess I'd rather like a warning, and then nothing happens, instead of not having a warning, and then something happens I wasn't warned about.

-

Maybe it might make sense to split the instruction list in 2 parts? One for setting up your shootlist to the point where you can just fire at the designated target, and one for removing any target from from the shootlist?

Let me also note: You don't need to keep the AGM 65s as the active weapon after you have fired on the building but before it has impacted. You just need to not switch the active target lock for the AGM-65s. You can still however switch to A2A mode as soon as you've fired the maverick for a building and start engaging and creating shootlists for your A2A weapons.

The active target lock for the AGM-65s will remain intact and functional, as will the rest of the shootlist previously created.

Okay, well to remove any target from the shoot-list, cycle the 'active target marker' to the building you want removed from the list, then press 'F2' to eyeball it before pressing 'S' to remove it.

I think 'U' should only be a failsafe, and the above method with 'F2' and 'S' should be the 'normal' (non-destructive) way of removing targets from the shootlist, without messing up the list.

-

About trying to find the exception: The reason I was asking, is that I'm not even sure the exception with the 'partially destroyed buildings not being removeable' even exists, so way warn people about it?

But I guess I'd rather like a warning, and then nothing happens, instead of not having a warning, and then something happens I wasn't warned about.

-

Maybe it might make sense to split the instruction list in 2 parts? One for setting up your shootlist to the point where you can just fire at the designated target, and one for removing any target from from the shootlist?

Let me also note: You don't need to keep the AGM 65s as the active weapon after you have fired on the building but before it has impacted. You just need to not switch the active target lock for the AGM-65s. You can still however switch to A2A mode as soon as you've fired the maverick for a building and start engaging and creating shootlists for your A2A weapons.

The active target lock for the AGM-65s will remain intact and functional, as will the rest of the shootlist previously created.

I'll try the F2-S combo to see how that works; didn't think of that before (was scope-locked on z). The only reason I brought up partially destroyed buildings is because I didn't understand what was happening. It turns out that it's all about removing the lock of the padlocked object, and it just so happened that the objects I padlocked were completely destroyed, while the objects I didn't were partials. That bit has been removed in lieu of maintaining padlock in order to delete with S.

Good call about a separate removal . I'll see if it flows and post the results tomorrow. I'm too beat to try it tonight.

EDIT: Just to clarify with the F2-S combo, does F2 automatically padlock the active target? If so, that's definitely the way to go. Sorry if my reading comprehension is a bit off tonight.

EDIT: Just to clarify with the F2-S combo, does F2 automatically padlock the active target? If so, that's definitely the way to go. Sorry if my reading comprehension is a bit off tonight.

Copy, F2 will padlock the active target.

It appears that generally you will need to press 'S' twice to remove it from the list after padlocking it with F2, unless it was the immediate last target that you added to the shoot-list. Then it get's removed only by one 'S'

You need to understand how the Z, X/C and S keys work together. Set up a two only static targets and try them out. You can remove a designated target without losing padlocking (eyeballing) ANOTHER target. Also add F2 to the combinations and it should become clear. I didn't feel like taking and posting screenshots to show you what I mean.

No problem, Wombat. I just tried it out and got it.

I've since updated my Cougar Profile to 1.4 to account for this (I already had the keys mapped, but add target to shootlist was only for AA and not AG), and I tested it out and understand the logic. I'll write the update tomorrow.

It's been a very long few days, and right now I'm going to go to bed before I fall asleep in my chair.

There also seems to be a 'stack-memory' going on to remember which is the last-added target to the shootlist (which can be removed with only one 'S' as opposed to the usual 2 'S')

Here's an example:

10 buildings in a line, 1, 2, 3, etc.

I'm looking at the first building infront of me, and I see building 10 all the way at the back.

I padlock and add building 2 - then 5 - then 6 - then 8 - then 9.

My stack for targets looks like this:

9 - 8 - 6 - 5 - 2

9 is the most recent building, 8 the second most recent, etc.

Now, only the most recent building will get removed by one 'S'.

So if my active selector is on building 9, I can press 'F2' and 'S' (once) and it will get removed from my shoot-list.

My stack would then look like this:

8 - 6 - 5 - 2

Now, usually after removing a target, the next target in the stack will become the active target, so my target ring should now be over target 8.

To remove target 8, I would only need to press 'F2' and 'S' like before.

HOWEVER...

Let's say I want to remove target 5.

I will cycle with 'C' and 'X' until target 5 is the active target.

The stack still is the same as before:

8 - 6 - 5 - 2.

But now, If I press 'F2' and 'S' once, it rearranges the stack like so:

5 - 8 - 6 - 2.

So whereever 5 was in the shootlist, it gets bumped up to the top of the stack, and other targets moves down.

With the padlocked target now being on top of the stack, pressing 'S' would remove target 5.

My stack would afterwards look like this:

8 - 6 - 2.

with 8 being the next active target.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL......

Let's say I didn't yet remove 5, but I did put it on top of the stack.

So it looks like this:

5 - 8 - 6 - 2.

I can now also put 6 on top of the stack, by marking 6 as the active target with 'C' and 'X' and then pressing 'F2' and 'S' once.

The new stack looks like this:

6 - 5 - 8 - 2.

---------------------------

In conclusion:

The stack is actually just the shoot-list in the order the targets were added.

EDIT: Newly aquired targets via padlock then 'S' will get added to the top of the stack.

The shoot-list-order can be manipulated, and targets in the middle of the shoot-list can be brought to the top of the shoot-list by 'readding' them to the shoot-list with 'F2' and 'S'.

Only the top target on the shoot-list can be removed with 'F2' and 'S'. If you try this on a target which is not the top target, it will first place it as top target, and then it will require another 'S' to remove it.

[REVISED FROM EARLIER POSTS]

If you'd like to setup a simple training mission to test "Adding Padlocked Static Target(s) to your Shoot List", here's a way to do it:

Select Custom Combat with the following:

You fly an F22 in the Hills, Mid-day, Low Level, Land Mission, with 14 AGM-65's (Mavericks), short distance, single tank as a target also at short distance.

Climb into the 'pit, ignore the tank, fly straight ahead to the city in the dip. Hit PAUSE when approaching the city and when the static buildings are clearly in view. These are potential static targets and in a real mission could include "T" designated mission targets.

Select Mavericks from your A-G weaponry.

Choose "Static Targets" by cycling through the filters with <F11>.

Now cycle through the padlocked static objects with <Z> and select six as targets for your shootlist by hitting <S> when visually eyeballing each of them. Each time you hit <S> it will put a triangle around the now target with a circle around the triangle showing the currently active target. You'll finish up with 6 triangles, with a circle around one of them, which is the current active target. You can change the active target anytime by cycling with the <C> or <X> key.

Hit <F1> to bring up your normal or wide Cockpit View, UNPAUSE the mission and fly away from the city and coming around to face the targets.

All of this is not new, but the next bit is.

Line up the active target (remember, you're still in your Cockpit View, <F1>). That's the one with the circle around the triangle. Wait for the shoot queue and fire.

As soon as the target is hit and destroyed, and not before, push <F2> then <S>. This will remove the destroyed target from your shoot list and you're back in the normal or wide Cockpit View (i.e. the <F1> view). Come round to make another pass and there'll be another active target. So its: wait for shoot queue, fire, wait to be destroyed, press <F2>, then <S> and that's another target down.

You can keep repeating this until all six static targets have been destroyed.

[iMPORTANT. If you cycle though your targets with the <C> or <X> you'll need to use <F2> <S> <S> (i.e. <S> twice) to remove the selected destroyed target from the shoot list.]

You can also remove any non-destroyed active target by hitting <F2> <S> (or F2>, <S>, <S> if cycling).

You can add more static targets to you your shootlist at any time with <Z> <S>, but be careful not to remove an already selected target or an already destroyed target.

With practice, you can stop making multiple passes to destroy targets, as they can be selected and destroyed on the same pass.

[TIP: For those with a programmable 'stick, you can program a button with the <F2> <S> combination to remove selected targets which have been destroyed or otherwise. When cycling to a new static target, the <F2> <S> <S> combination to remove a target, works just as well with the programmed <F2> <S> button by being pressed twice in succession.]

Once you get the idea you can add and remove targets from the shoot list before firing, before destroying, whatever.

If you want to remove the complete shoot list use the <U> key. [Thanks to Home Fries for this}. However use with caution as any acquired shoot list can be hard and dangerous in achieving.

Finally; if you need to engage other targets with other weapons (A-G or A-A), the previously selected static targets will remain targeted with the Mavericks awaiting action upon your return.

EDITS: in red.

EDIT 2: There's no doubt this training mission covers the basics, which are in logical order to assisting gaining the necessary skill. But I'm already tweaking the basics to achieve specific mission outcomes. e.g. Identifying, targeting and knocking out just the "T"'s. However the training mission objects remain unchanged, and provide a useful bridge to becoming competent in real mission situations. We need to learn to walk before we run.

EDIT 3: This follow up post is worth a read.

Edited by Wombat1940

For simplicity you could just select static targets with 'F11', then during fly-past use 'Z' to cycle to correct target then 'S' to lock it up......then turn around, wait for 'SHOOT' cue then fire!...when target is destroyed clear with 'U'.....repeat for next target!......just a simple way of doing it?, if you cycle past target just keep pressing 'Z' then 'S' till you come back to it. :popcornsmilie:

For simplicity you could just select static targets with 'F11', then during fly-past use 'Z' to cycle to correct target then 'S' to lock it up......then turn around, wait for 'SHOOT' cue then fire!...

Thought that's what I had said. Remember there are no correct targets in this training mission. They are just targets.

when target is destroyed clear with 'U'.....repeat for next target!......just a simple way of doing it?, if you cycle past target just keep pressing 'Z' then 'S' till you come back to it.

Personally I'm not keen on regenerating new shootlists. I'd rather adjust mine on the fly.

@Wombat,

I did test that before you posted it; it happens exactly as you describe. It's ready for prime-time.

@Eagle,

I was in no condition to read your "stack" post last night, but I gave it a look this morning and it all makes sense. With your permission, I'd like to add that to the Wiki as a part 2, with Wombat's training as part 3 (I'll do the part 1, or tactical overview).

Thought that's what I had said. Remember there are no correct targets in this training mission. They are just targets.Personally I'm not keen on regenerating new shootlists. I'd rather adjust mine on the fly.

Sorry i'm not talking about the training mission, i mean for simpicity during a real mission where you don't pause......if you just want to find the one with the 'T' on it pretty quick.