COMBATSIM Forum

Screen Image: Full Screen vs. Centered

My display adapter does not appear to allow me to set my monitor to "centered." As a result, TAW is being displayed full screen on a 1680 x 1050 monitor. Ideally, I think, TAW would be displayed at 800 x 600 with a black border all around. Short of that, just eliminating the distortion and getting black bands on either side would be great. Any input in how to achieve that would be appreciated. Here are some tech specs:

Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4200

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM

Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

The monitor itself doesn't appear to have any such options in its setup menus.

Thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to getting back into TAW. It was my favorite flight simulator. I haven't played it in years (and years and years).

Paul

My display adapter does not appear to allow me to set my monitor to "centered." As a result, TAW is being displayed full screen on a 1680 x 1050 monitor. Ideally, I think, TAW would be displayed at 800 x 600 with a black border all around. Short of that, just eliminating the distortion and getting black bands on either side would be great. Any input in how to achieve that would be appreciated. Here are some tech specs:

Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4200

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM

Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

The monitor itself doesn't appear to have any such options in its setup menus.

Thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to getting back into TAW. It was my favorite flight simulator. I haven't played it in years (and years and years).

Paul

Welcome back Paul. :thumbsup: I'll leave it to the experts here to sort out your "centring " problem. I came back likewise after years and years because of TAW2.0. Its been well worth it. The other thing to keep in mind is Multiplay, particularly if you haven't played Multiplay before. It was a new experience for me, but its the only way to go. Mind you I'm still running into things on the taxiway and don't seem to be able to to dodge those enemy SAMs. :lol:

Paul,

Ironically, TAW in 800x600 looks better on a widescreen monitor than on a 4:3. 16:10 is actually the ideal aspect ratio for TAW.

I recommend doubling down on your "problem" and running TAW 2.0 with a Glide wrapper enabled, then setting the wrapper resolution for 1680x1050. As long as you use dgVoodoo or nGlide, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks Wombat. In addition to working out the graphics, I have to wait until my son lets me borrow back my old Saitek X45 stick and HOTAS. I never thought I'd touch a flight sim again, but then the bug bit (I guess I felt the need...).

Hi Home Fries. It's all a bit technical for me. I found a freeware nGlide wrapper by Zeus. Is that what I need? I appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

Paul

Thanks Wombat. In addition to working out the graphics, I have to wait until my son lets me borrow back my old Saitek X45 stick and HOTAS. I never thought I'd touch a flight sim again, but then the bug bit (I guess I felt the need...). .........

Paul

I don't think you'll regret it. There's a couple of old buggers who play here. I'm one of them. We play MP with the other "boys". We can both hold our own ....well he can ..... I'm still learning. :lol: I should explain: we all play on the same side against the AI badies.

I don't think you'll regret trying TAW2.0. There's so much help here particularly from HF who is the expert in regard to trouble shooting. TAW2.0 is mainly his baby and what he doesn't know about it isn't worth knowing. Good luck with your choice of .exe. There're all available in the TAW2.0 download. Well at least the ones HF is suggesting. Oh ..... and you don't need the 'stick to get the graphics right. ;)

EDIT: I have the Direct 3D 800x600 .exe running on my 9" x 5" LCD Netbook screen and its fullscreen.

Thanks Wombat. In addition to working out the graphics, I have to wait until my son lets me borrow back my old Saitek X45 stick and HOTAS. I never thought I'd touch a flight sim again, but then the bug bit (I guess I felt the need...).

Hi Home Fries. It's all a bit technical for me. I found a freeware nGlide wrapper by Zeus. Is that what I need? I appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

Paul

The nGlide you found is what I meant, but if it's technical, then I recommend using dgVoodoo that came with TAW 2.0. TAW 2.21 will have nGlide integrated into the launcher, so you will be able to more easily try it then.

Thanks again guys. I'll go ahead and try the nGlide wrapper. I just wanted to be sure I was on the right track.

I remember one of my favorite things in this sim was just doing practice in-flight refueling runs. I don't recall ever having to refuel during a mission, though. Maybe I never progressed to the longer ones.

I am certainly one of the old-timers, at least in computer years. I can't resist the urge to tell a little about my flight sim experience. My first one was F-15 Strike Eagle on the Commodore 64 (a literal museum piece; the Commodore, that is). Next was F-119 Stealth Fighter, still on the Commodore. It's amazing how immersive even those simple sims were. Does that mean it's all in the mind? :-)

Paul

Thanks again guys. I'll go ahead and try the nGlide wrapper. I just wanted to be sure I was on the right track.

I remember one of my favorite things in this sim was just doing practice in-flight refueling runs. I don't recall ever having to refuel during a mission, though. Maybe I never progressed to the longer ones.

I am certainly one of the old-timers, at least in computer years. I can't resist the urge to tell a little about my flight sim experience. My first one was F-15 Strike Eagle on the Commodore 64 (a literal museum piece; the Commodore, that is). Next was F-119 Stealth Fighter, still on the Commodore. It's amazing how immersive even those simple sims were. Does that mean it's all in the mind? :-)

Paul

Quote: " ....... Does that mean it's all in the mind? ...... "

Just wait 'til you hear my sweaty palms story. When I get in the 'pit my heart rate doubles! ;)

Quote: " ..... my favorite things in this sim was just doing practice in-flight refueling runs ..... "

Were you doing them manually? :o If so I'll be your wingman anytime. :icon_bow:

Manual refueling is definitely a challenge, esp. since the altitude gauge only updates in increments of 100 at altitude (tried to fix it, couldn't figure it out).

I also started with F-15 Strike Eagle (albeit for the Atari 800), then moved to Gunship, Falcon 3, and the rest was history.

Thanks again Home Fries. I got nGlide working and I do see a big improvement in graphics. I have Falcon 3.0 collecting dust. I never got past the crash after take-off. If I'm not mistaken, it was a known issue, if not a bug, at the time. Still, Falcon was supposed to have been the premier flight sim of its day. I kind of wish I had stuck with it. Once I got going with TAW, though, there was no turning back.

You know, I could have sworn it was Falcon 4.0, but when I looked at my manual it said 3.0. After reading about BMS, I pulled out the disc -- Falcon 4.0! Man oh man, I just don't have the time for this! What on earth got me thinking about flight sims again? The videos of BMS looked fantastic. But, this is about F-22 ADF/TAW over here, so I'd better get back on topic.

Thanks for the BMS link (I think). :o

You know, I could have sworn it was Falcon 4.0, but when I looked at my manual it said 3.0. After reading about BMS, I pulled out the disc -- Falcon 4.0! Man oh man, I just don't have the time for this! What on earth got me thinking about flight sims again? The videos of BMS looked fantastic. But, this is about F-22 ADF/TAW over here, so I'd better get back on topic.

Thanks for the BMS link (I think). :o

Sorry ... you'll need a clearance from here first ...... and a satisfactory pass in TAW2.0....... plus an exit interview with the Major General ...... oh and I nearly forgot the associated exit fee ...... :P

:)

Not to worry. I'll be getting to know TAW again for quite a while before I even think about taking on Falcon BMS.

To redfalcon -- Thanks.