COMBATSIM Forum

Where's the Wombatinator? What's he been up to?!?! - Heads up! The Wombatinator strikes again!

Eagle_Flight

FWIW, Red, I have fewer slowdowns with BMS on my gaming rig than I do in AF. It's because BMS has been optimized (as much as possible) for modern hardware, where AF still pushes a lot to the CPU and frequently accesses the hard disk.

Edit: Was just thinking, Red, you might like the Strike Fighters 2 line as well. I run it in unlimited with no slowdowns. It uses a DX10 engine with some nice terrain. It's not heavy like Falcon (it's been somewhat accurately compared to Jane's Fighters Anthology), but if you don't have a lot of free time (like myself of late), it's great for firing up a mission, blowing some stuff up, then heading back to do it again.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you like. I was a huge fan of Flanker 1 and 2, with LOMAC being the sequel. However, LOMAC was missing something and just feels sterile. Flaming Cliffs 2 (the follow-on to LOMAC) is pretty good, great graphics, and your system shouldn't experience slowdown, but there's no dynamic campaign (part of the reason there's no slowdown, as there isn't as much out there).

SF2 is as smooth as it gets, BTW. I've heard of people getting some slowdowns over Iceland with the latest release (SF2 North Atlantic), but I haven't experienced it, and it should be fixed in the next patch (which are released with great regularity).

Depends on what you like. I was a huge fan of Flanker 1 and 2, with LOMAC being the sequel. However, LOMAC was missing something and just feels sterile. Flaming Cliffs 2 (the follow-on to LOMAC) is pretty good, great graphics, and your system shouldn't experience slowdown, but there's no dynamic campaign (part of the reason there's no slowdown, as there isn't as much out there).

SF2 is as smooth as it gets, BTW. I've heard of people getting some slowdowns over Iceland with the latest release (SF2 North Atlantic), but I haven't experienced it, and it should be fixed in the next patch (which are released with great regularity).

I to was a great fan of Flanker 1 and 2.

LOMAC and FC2 was very graphics hungry with my earlier equipment.

@HF

I have a number of SF FSims: Project One (?), Europe, Vietnam, etc

There just seems so many options, addons, etc so would you suggest to go straight SF2? :shrug:

OK thanks HF, I'll look into SF2.........if future flight sim developers are reading this then take note!........you don't get slowdowns in real life so why would you think a flight sim with them is acceptable?, forget fancy graphics if its going to turn the sim into a slide show.

.......................... unless the slide show is greater than 37.5 FPS. :rofl:

Wombat! I miss you, you upside down, inside out soul, you!! Is SimHQ TS giving you problems, so can't use it these days? Recluse and I have been flying a bit of WOE/SF1 lately. Especially Recluse, who has dived into many mods such as Afghan and Falklands.

Thanks Eugene. I'm getting back to good health. Two steps forward, one step back.

We have been saying goodbye to Jimmy Stynes: A great Australian, Irishman, footballer, husband, father, youth helper.

"God bless you Jimmy."

http://www.smh.com.a...0327-1vvf1.html

I have a number of SF FSims: Project One (?), Europe, Vietnam, etc

There just seems so many options, addons, etc so would you suggest to go straight SF2? :shrug:

Definitely go with SF2. It's an evolution of the SF1 series, so there's quite a bit of cross-compatibility (though some tweaks required to convert mods, but that's something you probably don't need to sweat). However, SF2 got right what I considered to be pet peeves of SF1. It crashes less, handles add-ons/mods better, allows for an integrated install (think SFP1, WoV, WoE all in the same folder, and you can choose any plane in any theater) with separate mods folders (yes, that's correct, and it's not a contradiction at all), and has higher resolution textures. The only thing it doesn't have is multiplayer, since MS dropped DirectPlay from Vista and later.

For you, I would start with SF2: Europe, then maybe the expansion pack 2 (which expands SF2E and also gives you a mission editor). You can fly a combination of older and modern jets from the F-4 to the F-15 and A-10, so you have a broader scope from which to choose. Additionally, many of the mods for more recent aircraft rely on Europe, both for baseline aircraft as well as the Germany scenery for a Cold War scenario. From there, it's your choice. You finally get the Tomcat in SF2 North Atlantic, but the fleet ops are still a bit buggy so that might be worth waiting a month or so for a patch.

EDIT: Here's a link to a post explaining the differences between SF generations. CombatAce is also a great one-stop shop for mods.

Edited by Home Fries
added link

Glad you like it, Red. FYI, being an independent release, the SF2 series isn't as polished as DID stuff. However, its genius lies in its moddability, which allows others to pick up the slack and make it greater than the sum of its parts. Hopefully, my blog entry was an example of that sum.

• 3 weeks later...

Your mates are solidly behind you, Wombat - do what's doable and helpful. We'll be here waiting for you.

Hi guys. Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

Vitamin D? Its worth a try. Not much else is helping. Bugger! :grrr:

Hi guys. Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup:

Vitamin D? Its worth a try. Not much else is helping. Bugger! :grrr:

Hi Wombat,

If you need some medication for yourself I would HIGHLY reccomend you see a DR of Psychiatry to prescribe some REAL medication like Prozac or Abilify.. Vitamin D is not gonna help ;)

Taken from Experience like you I Suffer from Depression and take Prozac.. that and therapy had helped greatly..I would reccomend trying to do some activities you enjoy even if you do NOt want to do them it may at least keep your Mind Occupied and not to get too deep in thought which will most likely lead to further depression..

Isolating yourself does NOT help either.. If you are worried aout the Future Dont Johova has it all planned out and it will be wonderful in the Future..no sence worring about something you can do nothing about..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wombat,

If you need some medication for yourself I would HIGHLY reccomend you see a DR of Psychiatry to prescribe some REAL medication like Prozac or Abilify.. Vitamin D is not gonna help ;)

Taken from Experience like you I Suffer from Depression and take Prozac.. that and therapy had helped greatly..I would reccomend trying to do some activities you enjoy even if you do NOt want to do them it may at least keep your Mind Occupied and not to get too deep in thought which will most likely lead to further depression..

Isolating yourself does NOT help either.. If you are worried aout the Future Dont Johova has it all planned out and it will be wonderful in the Future..no sence worring about something you can do nothing about..

@Neph ........ you?!?! ....... bugger me ..... can't believe it ...... :o

Doing as you say: Dr and Psychiatrist but too early for any improvement.

I am learning to keep my mind occupied (distracted), but you have to fight the urge for isolation which is hugely strong and , as you say, just compounds the problem. My kids and lady friend have been just wonderful, even if I don't want to see them, if you see what I mean .... :rolleyes:

Hey, wombat - The Nephmeister has some good advice, if you haven't already explored that path. Getting the "right" one isn't always the same as the first one; but when that happens, the cloud lifts, the light reaches into the pit, etc etc.

@ Eugene.

When you say: "....the "right" one isn't always the same as the first one .... " is so true. I'm on my second one now, but still no good.

Funny ........ I'm bad when I first wake up :sofa1: , but in the evening its gone. Totally gone. :shrug:

• 1 month later...