COMBATSIM Forum

Thank you for your work HF.

Sorry for asking. Been searching, but could not find any answer.

Got no sound at all in TAW 2.21, not in the menu or in the game.

Any ideas?

Violator,

We've seen this on occasion with the Glide version of TAW. We're not sure what causes it, but uninstalling TAW 2.0 and reinstalling it to a different folder seems to fix it.

If you're using the D3D EXE, we'll need to look at other possibilities. Please let me know.

@Neph, have you found a correlation between OpenAL and TAW sound bugs?

Maybee I should have told:

Win 7, nvidia gt230 515meg ,8gigs of ram.

Sorry, but RL is more important the next few days. Will report back when I tried the suggestions to my problem.

:duel:

• 5 months later...

Try with dgVoodoo and see if that works. If not, then uninstall and reinstall to a different folder to see if that fixes it.

BTW, if you have started a pilot, you can back it up using the Pilot Utility from the Config menu in the Launcher.

Hm I installed it on my laptop and it works there. Maybe ATI card problems (laptop has Nvidia - ATI is known for buggy graphics). I'll watch it the next times - if it makes the same bad stuff like on my PC then I'll try reinstalling to a new folder. (reinstalling to the same didn't work for pc).

• 2 years later...

Guys I'm sorry to report this, but I've lost all sound... that, and the fact that the game now has problems exiting even if I ask politely.

It was running fine for two days, I was in the process of fine-tuning my graphics. The third day, I fire up my pc, and the sound was just gone, no menu clicks, no in-game sound, nothing (and graphics are fine) and game exit problems.

I wanted to uninstall it, but could not find it in programs and features. So I deleted my C:\DID folder, reinstalled the game and the patches = still no joy

- Tried to open the WAV files directly, no issues, they playback

- Tried to change to DX7 and DX9, no joy either

Cursory specs, I can provide more if required:

Windows 8.1 32-bit

SSD

4GB DDR2

Core 2 Duo E6400

NVidia Geforce 8600 GTS, drivers checked

Creative Labs Soundblaster Z, drivers checked, not running any surround thingies...

To install, I only used the main installation package (220), the patches (221, 222a and 230 B5), and the SB music package. NONE of these appear in "Programs and features".

Is there a way to clean more thoroughly ? I checked the registry, didn't find much... Heeeelp....

The sound issue is insidious; it happens occasionally and can't be consistently reproduced. It has nothing to do with the registry; the installer deliberately keeps everything external from the registry to allow portability. The uninstaller is in the Start menu, and only deletes files installed.

Best recommendation is to uninstall TAW and reinstall to a different folder. Many times that fixes the sound issue. This doesn't make sense, but the issue is insidious and this is the only known workaround.

EDIT: This is a known issue with the Glide version. Please let us know whether you use the Glide or D3D exe.

HF, thanks for the fast reply... as per your recommendations, I uninstalled, reinstalled to another folder, the issue persisted (no special glide settings, default nglide, didn't go near voodoo glide).

Steps which may or may not have resolved the problem, for me (it's actually running without issues, good graphics, sound is back)

I uninstalled TAW

Wanted to delete the folder, but had to reboot, the F22 fonts were "in use" and could not be deleted. After reboot = OK

Ran CCleaner on the registry, it found a dozen F22 references in need of deleting = OK

Reinstalled TAW to yet another iteration of the DID folder (DiD5 :) ).

... Still no sound !

And that's when I noticed that in "programs and features" I had five instances of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008, + one instance of MS Visual C++ 2013 installed...

Uninstalled all of them

Performed yet another uninstall/cleanup/reinstall routine... DiD6...

... and now the game runs.

Perhaps it was a conflict caused by the different versions of Visual C++ ? In any case, I'm not fine-tuning anything in TAW, any time soon...

Interesting find, Miacubin. Were you using the 32 bit/TrackIR enabled version of TAW?

I'm not sure what you mean, it's the default install (2.20) which I found here, as well as the patches (2.21, 2.22a, 2.30 beta5). Unlike my first attempts, I did not run the soundblaster music patch for the current install. Speaking of which, the original soundtrack was midi ? Perhaps that's where the real conflict begins ?

I don't remember if I've said so before, but I am very grateful for all the work you and others have accomplished... This is clearly a game worth the effort :)

"Back in the days", Jane's was all over the place, until this game and ef2000 came out... it was spectacular (still is !).

I'm not sure what you mean, it's the default install (2.20) which I found here, as well as the patches (2.21, 2.22a, 2.30 beta5). Unlike my first attempts, I did not run the soundblaster music patch for the current install. Speaking of which, the original soundtrack was midi ? Perhaps that's where the rea

When you first run the TAW 2.0 Launcher, it will prompt you to select an EXE (D3D/Glide). On that screen, there is also a checkbox for the 32 bit EXE variant (it says "32 Bit (Includes TrackIR"). I need to know if that is checked.

Interesting, then, that removing the C++ libraries fixed the issue. I thought it might be due to the libraries required by the 32 bit EXE. The updated EXE points to a DLL that allows the use of TrackIR, and that DLL requires C++ 2008 libraries. If you use the original EXE, it shouldn't matter.

Note: despite the fact that the 32 bit defaults to unchecked, I recommend using it if at all possible. I've hex-edited some other fixes for Windows XP and later, especially for use with nGlide.

• 2 weeks later...

I can reproduce it consistently. In Win8 and 8.1, if I enable MIDI by choosing TotalAirWar playlist in Tawmenu, I'll get this no sound bug. This happen to me on 2 machines 100% every time. The workaround is to using other playlist and not enable MIDI. In Win7, this problem doesn't occur.

I guess Microsoft is supporting Midi even less in Win 8 than they did when they transitioned to Vista/7. No big surprise, and the only likely workaround will be a driver or 3rd party middleware/emulator.

• 10 months later...

Hi.

I got a "no sound" problem. This is not an error. I used Win7 and if i run the game, the game sound is muted in win 7 volume control. If i task switch and unmute the sound, i hear the sounds in game menu. But, if I start a mission, the game mute the sound again in win 7 volume control. And here it is the problem: If i switch the task again (to unmute), the game crash, so no option to unmute the sounds.

Why mute the sounds automatically?

On 3/1/2016 at 10:01 PM, Mumtaz said:

Hi.

I got a "no sound" problem. This is not an error. I used Win7 and if i run the game, the game sound is muted in win 7 volume control. If i task switch and unmute the sound, i hear the sounds in game menu. But, if I start a mission, the game mute the sound again in win 7 volume control. And here it is the problem: If i switch the task again (to unmute), the game crash, so no option to unmute the sounds.

Why mute the sounds automatically?

Nothing the ALT+TAB buttons couldn't solve on windows.

After running TAW and get into the logon/pilot screen, Press ALT+TAB to minimize TAW then press on the "speakers" icon in the task bar; click on mixer; unmute TAW. It worked for me without crashing the game. 

On 2016. 03. 07. at 9:22 PM, Mustsafa said:

Nothing the ALT+TAB buttons couldn't solve on windows.

After running TAW and get into the logon/pilot screen, Press ALT+TAB to minimize TAW then press on the "speakers" icon in the task bar; click on mixer; unmute TAW. It worked for me without crashing the game. 

I got it. But if i start a new mission its always mute the sound again, and if i use ALT-TAB to unmute the sound then I can not go back into the TAW. Just hear the sound and nothing

21 minutes ago, Mumtaz said:

I got it. But if i start a new mission its always mute the sound again, and if i use ALT-TAB to unmute the sound then I can not go back into the TAW. Just hear the sound and nothing

Try muting the music; oddly it causes problems.

4 hours ago, Mustsafa said:

Try muting the music; oddly it causes problems.

Nop.

I downloaded the NiCmd and probe the "nircmd.exe muteappvolume f22.dat 2" command. The command its working if I unmuted previously at once, so this not solved my problem, but a good way to solving. So, if i run the game and task switch to desktop in F22 main menu, and open the Win7 volume control, the F22 is muted. I push the "unmute", and switch back to the game. The sound and music ok. But if I start a mission, no hear the sound. I task switch again and i see the volume, the F22.dat muted again. I push the unmute again, and probe to swith back to the game, I hear the sound, but swith back to the game. Not crash, just not switch back.

Any other options?