Decoy Use

Skeeter

I'm struggling a little with the Armed Recce mission and came across decoys while searching the TAW addendum. I saw that the loadout for this mission was adjusted to include two decoys.

How are these to be used? Should they be launched as you enter a hot zone to draw away enemy planes, or are they launched after a missile is fired at you like flares or chaff?

Regarding the single missions, it seems there is a fundamental difference in how these are set up for game play vs. campaign missions. I have flown all of the Red Sea Tour missions and the first four of the Eritrian Tour missions. Not only have I not passed one mission on the first try, but most take many, many tries to pass. You seem to have to learn a little more about the mission each time it's flown. I don't recall this when I did the TAW campaigns a long time ago, and I started with Campaigns (except for the training missions). If I had lost every mission I flew, I would not have won any campaigns, I would think. Is this a difference that is programmed into the game play? Just curious, really.

I'm struggling a little with the Armed Recce mission and came across decoys while searching the TAW addendum. I saw that the loadout for this mission was adjusted to include two decoys.

How are these to be used? Should they be launched as you enter a hot zone to draw away enemy planes, or are they launched after a missile is fired at you like flares or chaff?

I don't fly the missions much these days, however, I have done quite a bit with the decoy modifications so I'll respond. I have used the decoys in multiple ways, including as a draw in a hot zone and as a missile diversion. The hot zone method is to spoof SAM's or air-launched missiles, before they are launched. The success of this method is dependent on an accurate pre-zone-entry assessment of how much adversarial hardware exists and how quickly the mission objectives can be met. This method I use to simply buy me time to get in, hit the target and get out. Using the decoys once a missile is launched, is only for those with nerves of steel. When I use this method, I do not employ other missile avoidance maneuvers. I release the decoy immediately upon hearing the MAW, I go heads down and track the incoming missile, if it is not spoofed at T-1/2, I launch # 2 and begin evasive maneuvers looking for the closest EP and opportunities to remove myself from the zone.

A good way to familiarize yourself with decoy behavior is set up AA and GB Custom Combat scenarios and use ACMI to record. It's amazing how effective they are! ;)

Hi DrKevDog. I appreciate the response and the suggestion to set up custom combat scenarios. I will do just that--good idea.

Paul

Paul,

I wanted to let others into the conversation before I added my $.02 in order to foster a good discussion. This is because, frankly, I'm not sure exactly how best to tactically employ the decoy.

The reason you see decoys in some ADF/RSO missions is due to balancing. When you play in the original ADF, the F-22 stealth characteristics are more forgiving than they are in TAW. This is especially true when carrying external stores; you could still fly with 4 LGBs on the wings and still be stealthy in ADF. Even with an internal load, the ADF F-22 is still more stealthy than TAW.

So when you have these missions where you are expected to fly stealthily through the teeth of defenses, it doesn't translate all that well to TAW without adding a couple of silver bullets (decoys) to the bomb bay. On a number of occasions, I added decoys to the bomb bay weapon stations (often "overloading" the bay), and in some cases I opted for illegal loadouts (e.g. GBU-24 LGBs in the bomb bay) in order to make for a stealthy aircraft.

So it comes down to this: I put in the decoys on missions where you are supposed to be a black hole in the sky. What I usually do in these cases (assuming I'm currently at EMCON 5 jamming the bad guys) is launch the decoy (ideally directly at your threat), then immediately go to EMCON 1 and break perpendicular to the decoy. While TAW doesn't model the tactical limitations of a doppler radar (hence notching perpendicular doesn't do a whole lot of good), I just do this out of practice. Besides, a 90 degree split will get you the most lateral separation for the smallest turn. What I am doing is separating from the decoy and "going dark", which hopefully makes all the SAM operators key on the decoy until I'm out of the immediate threat area.

Hi HomeFries,

I was wondering when you would weigh in. I appreciate the additional insight. I haven't had a chance to get back to it, but I'll be experimenting with decoys soon, then I'll try the mission again.

Thanks,

Paul

As a matter of fact, there's a workaround for it.

First, you need to enable the mod called GUI-Custom Decoy Loadouts. You can do this from Generic Mod Enabler (GME). If you don't have GME, then go to the Customization, Mods and Music page of the TAW Launcher and click on the GME icon. You will then receive instructions on downloading and installing GME into your TAW 2.0 folder.

Once you have enabled the mod, then you can get to the decoys in custom combat or in campaigns. You will see that many types of missions have multiple loadouts. The last entry for each mission (at least AG missions that might use decoys) shows a loadout with decoys on every hardpoint for which they are eligible.

gallery_1267_7_33458.jpg

As you can see on this screen, I have the last entry of Airfield Denial selected This shows a bunch of decoys on the hardpoints, but no corresponding listing for them in the loadout section below. Since you cannot add decoys, you just select a loadout that defaults to decoys for every eligible hardpoint, then subtract decoys for your other weapons as you see fit.