COMBATSIM Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WingNuts

New Build part Dux................

Ok lets try this again. Somehow I porked the 1st post even tried to edit with no luck.

Here’s what I’m considering putting together. Appreciate your opinions.

Monitor:

Samsung B550 series S27B550V, 27”, 2ms, GTG, HDMI, Widescreen, LED

Samsung P2770FH, 27”, 1ms, Full HD, HDMI, LCD Monitor

ViewSonic VX2753mh-LED, 27” Full HD HDMI LED Blacklight / Speakers

ViewSonic Gtaphic Series VG2732m-LED, 27”, 3ms, Widescreen LCD

I’ve been using a 19” ViewSonic PF790 for the last 11 years. It’s the only reason ViewSonic is part of the initial mix.

Vid Cards:

EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320 bit GDDR5 PCI express 2.0 X 16 HDCP ready SLI support

Or

EVGA 012-P3-1578-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) “Classified” 1280mb 320 bit GDDR5 PCI express 2.0 x 16 HDCP ready SLI supported

I'm leaning to the 1280mb card

*****(I’m unsure of the trade-off ram vs card speed)****

CPU:

Intel 2500K

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 heat sink

Power supply:

Corsair Gold AX850 Modular Gold Certified 80Plus

Or

OCZ ZX 850 Modular 80Plus Gold H-performance

I’m leaning toward the OCZ unit having read a few good reviews and it’s a little less cost wise.

Anyway appreciate thoughts and or alternatives.

Regards,

WingNuts

what is the 570's difference in Speed?? I would go with more vid memory you can always OC the Stock card.. If one is OC and has the lower Video memory I would go with the more memory..

Intel i5 2500k Solid choice, do you plan on Overclocking in the Future??

What Motherboard you getting?? How about the memory??

Hey WingNuts,

How goes the build?? I hope you took Pics to post on the boards WE Want Pics well at least I do ;)

What is the best conection cable to hook up a monitor? Choices are;

1. HDMI

2. DVI

Don't need sound as I'm using ProMedia audio system.

Thanks

WingNuts

well DVI is fine.. If your Monitor has Built in Speakers you could use HDMI..

DVI is VIDEO ONLY...

HDMI is AUDIO and VIDEO..

Both are Digital tho

If it's still in question:

Vid Cards:

EVGA 012-P3-1578-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) “Classified” 1280mb 320 bit GDDR5 PCI express 2.0 x 16 HDCP ready SLI supported

If you want to save some money, there's GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores. It's very nearly as fast as 570, but priced more like 560 Ti. Also 1280 MB.

If you're open to spending a little bit more, there's new HD7870 that sports 2GB of RAM and the performance of a GTX580 at 2/3 the power consumption and less price. The issues have been worked out by now, AFAIK.

Corsair Gold AX850 Modular Gold Certified 80Plus

Or

OCZ ZX 850 Modular 80Plus Gold H-performance

Corsair all the way. It's a Seasonic Gold X850 inside, the second best PSU right after their Platinum series.

OCZ is made by Great Wall, just another OEM, and as you can read here: http://www.techpower.../ZX_850W/4.html - it's not even very modern.

That said, you might be overspending on your PSU. The selling point of AX is not just quality, but also very low noise down to fanless at idle. If you just want quality and some sound from the PC is OK, there are cheaper good PSU like TX750V2 or TX650V2 (both are midrange Seasonics), only V2 though, not regular TX.

Especially if you go with HD7870, with its low consumption, a 650W PSU is more than enough. I only suggest AX850 because AX is one you'll want to keep through several builds, TX is more down-to-Earth.

The build continues, almost done though. Bought the monitor today! Of course got it home ready to set it up and the DVi cable is to short to reach the computer :banghead: .. Wekk it's back to a store after dinner for a DVI 8' cable. What, no DVI's over 6'?? Jeesh!! Well I can use an HDMI, where are they? Ah, found a 8' HDMI. But wait, you want how much (39.99) :jawdrop: . God but I want to hook this thing up. OK suck it up there big guy, you can always return it later (read after I get a reasonable priced one). Big box stores must think we're all stupid or what? Finally it's up and running!! OK now I know what all of you have been enjoying the last several years. I've still got lots of tweaking, installing software etc. I can see some light at the end of the tunnel now. Neph I took a few photos and it's pretty spacious inside that case.

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

Monitor I bought is Samsung P2770FH. Kids got me a new keyboard / mouse for the birthday a Logitech MK520. My 1st adventure in wireless. Uh I hate the mouse, love the keyboard though. I don't think It'll hold up to gaming though and the mouse is small for my hand. Probably retire the moude and get a wired one. Any suggestions?

Thats it for now,

WingNuts

PS

Tiger I had already bought the power supply (OCZ) for $140. and also the 1579 Gforce 2.5gig card. Actually NewEgg droped the price on the dam card by $50. ten days later :wtf: . I called and to their credit I got a store credit for the difference :icon_rock:

Hey WingNuts WOW looks REALLY GOOD Nice Job good pics ..In that last pic it looks as thos you have a SATA Plugged into the GREY Port?? what Drive is plugged in there??

I would reccoemnd doing some stress tests.. Just to make sure all is in working order.. I reccoemnd for the CPU Intel burn test or Lynx.. also get Real Temp to keep an eye on the CPU Tempatures..

For the Vide card stress test it with FurMark and use a tool like MSI Afterburner to monitor the tempatures of the card.. But I beleive the FurMark has a built in monitor..

Temps to worry about are 100c for the CPU and same for the GPU..it is best to find out know if your system is stable and everything works 100%.. Dont worry about running the stress tests as long as you monitor the temps and keep it all in check you should be fine remember these Hardware components where desinged to be used..

Running a stress test is just a way to find out if your system is stable and in working order.. if something heats up beyond a safe level then you know either something is not working properly or the Hardware is defective.. Best to find out know vs after the warranty..

If you have any questions about running the stress test Please ask..

Neph, I have the LiteOn DVD combo drive pluged into the light blue 3gb SATA and the WD HD in the Grey 6gb SATA controler. I don't think the burner can take advantage of the 6gb SATA? Getting XP to load was a bear though. Fortunately my son was able to identify the corect driver and slipstream it into an instal disk of Xp with Nlite. Our problem was identifying that correct driver. Do I need to make a fan profile prior to starting a stress test? I was planning on begining that this afternoon, so many thanks for your suggestions! I don't immaging it matters which OS I use for the stress testing. I was planning to use Win 7 for it though.

I have a wierd issue with TAW though. With the new monitor at 1080 I have my pitch ladder superimposed over my instrument panel (the negative angles all show). Don't remember that with my old CRT monitor. I'll post it in the TAW forum though.

Regards,

WingNuts

I don't immaging it matters which OS I use for the stress testing. I was planning to use Win 7 for it though.

It matters if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. Only 64-bit will have the CPU run at full power.

Special fan profile isn't needed.

Temps to worry about are 100c for the CPU and same for the GPU..

That's way too high. Tjunction is specified at 105C, and it's temperature that puts it at risk of quick destruction.

Don't let your CPU go above 90C, if it does, drop the voltage and the clocks. GPU can go up to 95C, that's also it, at 95C with Geforce you are very likely to suffer GPU solder cracking in 1-2 years of part-time use, so still try and keep it under 90C.

I run Real Temp in the background all the time now, I've got the alarm for CPU set to 70c and GPU alarm set to 85c, if my rig hits them temps then it will bring me out of the game and an alarm sounds warning you, it gives me peace of mind.......if a high ultra graphical game does cause the GPU to hit 85c then I'll just knock the graphic settings down a little so the GPU does not work as hard, but never hit the alarm threshold so far fingers crossed.....except when I tested it to see if it worked. :popcornsmilie:

I run Real Temp in the background all the time now, I've got the alarm for CPU set to 70c and GPU alarm set to 85c, if my rig hits them temps then it will bring me out of the game and an alarm sounds warning you, it gives me peace of mind.......

70C is on the other hand too low... unless your sensor underreports the temps, an air-cooled CPU will normally hit 70C under full load in Prime95.

What I use is a custom fan curve. For GPU set in MSI Afterburner, for CPU it's harder. You can set the fan to spin up to 100% past 84C (add 2C or more hysteresis) - it's audible if you want a warning, but 100% fan speed will keep the temperature down on its own if you don't reduce the load.

I'm on water not air....the CPU will go over 70c if I stress test it, but when I'm just running normal games like Battlefield 3 or BMS it only gets to 65..ish max.

Well those Temps I mentioned where the MAX you would want to goto for any short period of time like in a Stress Test.. So like you say if it is reaching 90c something is amiss and do NOT run it for a LONG period of time..

Of course running a STRESS TEst will use the CPU,GPU to it's max limits and will never be realised in Gaming..That is why you monitor your Temps in a Stress Test to make sure you stay withing Safe Paramaters.. if you are running your Video card in a Game and it is reaching even 90c something is terribly wrong..

IF you reach that tempature in a Stress test that is different it will not be a 24/7 thing.. a GPU is designed to goto 100c that is the MAX temp you would want to go too.. NOT saying 90c would be better as it is giving you a cushion..

But if you would want to notch it down from 100c 90c would be the max temp you would want to reach..but it can goto 100c..I would not run it 24/7 at that temp just that it is safe to goto that temp..

Stress testing is good to determine the Stability of a System and to make sure everything is working properly.. IF you just built a PC and it is maxing out at 100c something is probally wrong and time to quit the stress test and determine the Malfunction. It may be a Simple Fan not spinning or heatsing not tightened down enough..

IF you reach that tempature in a Stress test that is different it will not be a 24/7 thing.. a GPU is designed to goto 100c that is the MAX temp you would want to go too.. NOT saying 90c would be better as it is giving you a cushion..

The limit for GF110 (used in 580 and 570) is specified as 97C, slightly less than 100. In practice 95C when overclocking (at stock clocks even 90 shouldn't happen!), even in stress tests, is the point at which you want to take your voltages and clocks down a notch. Games will sometimes load the GPU to that temperature, it will start throttling and/or become unstable at 95-97C.

Plus, temps on mid-high to high-end Geforce cards should be kept a little lower to avoid solder cracking (manifesting as visual artifacts worsening with age), so for long-term use 90C should be the never-exceed temperature. Low-mid Geforces and all Radeons are not susceptible, so a little higher like 95C is an acceptable never-exceed threshold.

I'm on water not air....

Ah, didn't expect that. Just wondering, do you have your GPU(s) in the loop as well, and what waterblock and radiator do you use, EK?

Hey I just checked my GTX 570 and when running BMS it only hits 65c but when running Battlefield 3 on ultra graphic settings it hits 84c!, but the GTX 570 fan is only at 67% or something?, some tech sites are saying this is normal for a 570.............is it!? :huh:

EDIT: No Tiger the GPU is not water cooled, only the CPU, some tech sites are saying that even 87c is fine for a GTX 570?

Probably just how the stock profile is set up. Try using Afterburner or a similar program to make a more aggressive profile, with earlier spin-up and hysteresis.

How do you save the fan setting in MSI Afterburner?........I changed the fan auto profile and applied, then saved to a profile but when closing MSI the fan just reverts back to stock settings?

After saving, don't forget to select the number of profile to save (1-5).

Don't close Afterburner, just minimize it to tray. It only takes 10MB of RAM with all features on. With proper settings it will start with the system and stay in tray.

Ok that works, thanks Tiger. :thumbsup: ......however if you make an OC profile and save it, then close down MSI the card keeps the OC settings, but if you make a fan profile with user defined software automatic fan control and save it then close down MSI it just reverts to stock fan settings?, strange?......but a lot of tech sites are saying that 85c is quite normal for a GTX 570 under load.

Here's one example: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/312556-15-changing-speed