Friday the 13th

Donster

Morning y'all. 42F this morning and looking for sunshine and 70 this afternoon. The sudden cold and day after day of high winds seems to have taken its toll on my landscaping. I had two beautiful Knockout roses planted in the island in my front yard. Yesterday afternoon I noticed one of them was leaning over and the other one appeared to be dead. The one leaning over was easily righted, but there appears to be no disturbance of the soil, possibly indicating that the trunk pulled apart from its roots. The dead one appears to be dead, the trunk moves freely, but the soil does not heave, again possibly indicating the trunk having been separated from its roots. Sigh- I planted these roses several years ago and they provided us with much enjoyment, I guess that's over now.

Y'all have a great day.

Hey Jay,

Weather forecast for Chesapeake, VA:

Warm and sunny through Tuesday. Highs in the mid-70's to low-80's, lows around 60 to 65. A cold front is forecast to move through on Wednesday and Thursday, might see some showers and the day time temperatures will be about 10 degrees lower through the end of the week, night temperatures about 5 degrees lower. Expect winds of 5 to 15 mph the entire week.

The deed is done. I cut off nearly all of the growth on my rose bushes. Found that many of the trunks had separated from the root system. I pulled out the dead and dying parts, worked compost into the soil around the remaining roots, watered and covered the soil with mulch. I'll hope for the best.