COMBATSIM Forum

Hi All,

15 years ago I became addicted to F22. Some guy put up a T1 fast server and great times were had by all online until some b.....d nuked his server.

After that, a Dutch guy became my arch opponent, for guns only. We used to spend hours arguing about best corner speed (320??) as neither of us mastered the stall tricks.

Multiplayer was a farce in those days without a fast server but 1:1 sort of worked. Then there was a scenario where you took off and killed as many air and ground targets as possible in a given time.

I finally managed a time and score he couldn't beat and he wandered off to play some F1 driving game. Anyone know the scenario I am talking about and where to find it? I really want to do it again.

How did I arrive here? Whilst digging around I found the old F22 CD case with no disc so ended up here.I now have it running at 1920 x 1200 but cannot remember a darn thing about the buttons to press! However, I am EXTREMELY impressed by Home Fries dedication, programming and explanatory skills that I wonder whether he has time for a job!

A great effort. Let us hope there are enough of us ancients left to use and appreciate the result. I shall not be appearing online until :-

a) I have my TM Cougar sorted. I fear HF's Cougar programming involves S3 and my hand is simply not big enough to use it effectively, besides the complexity of it confused me.

B) I have re-learned the game.

As for me, an ancient at 71, I joined the RAF at 18, subsequently flew Hunters, left and became a Doctor, got bored with that, went into programming, sold out and retired in 1996 just in time for F22 ADF.

That silly smiley is supposed to b a B) I seem to severely creased my previous post by attempting to Edit it but have now re-edited it but that damn smiley really irritates me! Why cannot one innumerate with a b closed bracket without a silly face?

Welcome, meditek, and thanks for the kind words. There are plenty of people on and off this forum who have contributed to TAW 2.0; for my part I am mostly an integrator.

We'd love to get you online with us sometime. We're a friendly and laid back bunch (I'm probably the most intense guy there, and that's only when I'm being shot at :D ), and we have not problem helping you to re-learn the game. Besides, I want to hear some Hunter stories! I'm also wondering if you've tried the Strike Fighters 2 series; Hunter variants are prominently represented in that game.

You're also right about my Cougar profile. It makes extensive use of S3 and logic flags (i.e. tap versus hold a button). There are a few other guys on the forum with the Cougar. I know Wombat1940 doesn't like my profile either for the same reasons; he might offer you his profile.

Again, welcome. Hope to see you active and up to speed shortly!

• Like 1

I soon get bored! Which is that scenario?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like the Arcade mission in F22-ADF where you get a certain amount of time to reach each waypoint, and your missiles got replaced after 30 seconds. Seem to remember it took 5 hours to get through it.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like the Arcade mission in F22-ADF where you get a certain amount of time to reach each waypoint, and your missiles got replaced after 30 seconds. Seem to remember it took 5 hours to get through it.

That sounds like it but I can't find it! I seem to remember around 20 minutes.

Welcome and hope to see you in the Not so Friendly skies MP.. ;)

I beleive the mission you are referring to is "Battle for Lahij".. it starts at opposing Airbases with a town in the middle.. take pilot to take out the most targets or points wins..

Thanks for the replies. I am fairly certain it was the arcade effort unfortunately. Finally got a Cougar profile into shape. Canno find Battle for Lahij either though!

Canno find Battle for Lahij either though!

It's still there. With the addition of the ADF/RSO missions into multiplayer, we tweaked the multiplayer menu categories. H2H and Coop are now under the same tab, freeing up a new tab for ADF/RSO. Battle for Lahij is in the first series of missions in that first tab.

My first problem. My rudders don't work. On the ground L rudder moves the L rudder and nose wheel as does < but in the air there is no rudder movement either via pedals or keys.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hotas Cougar and Simped pedals

Windows 7 x64

Thanks

Welcome meditek. :thumbsup:

You're not the oldest. There's at least two others (I'm one) older than you. ;) Its not that I don't like HF Cougar profile; its just too much for my old brain. I have a ridiculously simple one, but its just that: ridiculously basic. But it does for me.

http://www.box.com/f....0_Cougar_files

If you really want to have fun, fly with the experts here. The thrill of being part of a 4 package take-off, stealth approach to the target, engaging/evading bandits, getting sweaty palms, hopefully all returning home safely, "buzzing the Tower", landing in unison is just mind blowing. And they'll teach you skills about flying the F22 that will amaze you.

Welcome meditek. :thumbsup:

You're not the oldest. There's at least two others (I'm one) older than you. ;) Its not that I don't like HF Cougar profile; its just too much for my old brain. I have a ridiculously simple one, but its just that: ridiculously basic. But it does for me.

http://www.box.com/f....0_Cougar_files

If you really want to have fun, fly with the experts here. The thrill of being part of a 4 package take-off, stealth approach to the target, engaging/evading bandits, getting sweaty palms, hopefully all returning home safely, "buzzing the Tower", landing in unison is just mind blowing. And they'll teach you skills about flying the F22 that will amaze you.

Hi Wombat,

Thanks for the offer but I've done one that I'm happy with and can remember! Trouble is my rudders don't work in game either with the pedals or the keys though they will steer in a fashion on the ground. Is this a bug? It has me baffled. They work fine in other sims.

Hi Wombat,

Thanks for the offer but I've done one that I'm happy with and can remember! Trouble is my rudders don't work in game either with the pedals or the keys though they will steer in a fashion on the ground. Is this a bug? It has me baffled. They work fine in other sims.

I think you've done the right thing: developed your own profile. Mine historically tries to mirror the profile I had for my old FLS/TQS stick. Its locked in my brain and instinctive.

I don't have pedals, so can't help there. I use the Range Knob and as a consequence spend most of my time taxiing on the grass. :lol:

However I do note the rudder is ineffective (they don't move) over 550 600 knots (or maybe mach 1)during flight. :huh:

Glad to hear it!

BTW, when programming your profile, if you decide to use the toe brakes for the < and > keys, you will want to make sure that they require an extra step to use. This is because of the way TAW uses DirectInput; if you inadvertently tap the toe brake while you are in the air, and while you are building your target list, that key combination will turn on time compression since TAW will recognize Shift from the toe brakes and T from the target list. Nothing like going to warp speed when things start to heat up in combat! :superscare:

You can either make it a shift function (though you don't like S3), or you can make it active only with a certain position (U/M/D) on the dogfight switch. Likewise, you can create logic codes where you need to be holding something else down (like S4) as well as the toe brakes in order for them to activate.

Of course, the simple solution is not to program them at all and just use the airbrake when on the ground (works just as well).

@ meditek

What a pity you don't like using (or maybe you can't :huh: [sorry, don't mean to get personal ..... ]) the S3 "pinkie" button. Its the easiest way to double the use of every button and hat switch.

e.g. with Dogfight Switch maintained in the /M position

HAT 2U Cycle A-A weapons <Enter>

HAT 2U' Build shoot list <t>

(where ' indicates use of the pinkie button)

But each to his own ....... :)

@ meditek

What a pity you don't like using (or maybe you can't :huh: [sorry, don't mean to get personal ..... ]) the S3 "pinkie" button. Its the easiest way to double the use of every button and hat switch.

e.g. with Dogfight Switch maintained in the /M position

HAT 2U Cycle A-A weapons <Enter>

HAT 2U' Build shoot list <t>

(where ' indicates use of the pinkie button)

But each to his own ....... :)

I had No 173 of the first Hotas Cougar issue back in the dark ages and so am familiar with with all the programming but, just like Jack Nicklaus I have small hands. I require a large lump of bluetack on the flat bit on the in order to use Hat1 which makes groping for S3 deadly. However, I have always found I have enough controls with a plain Jane stick set up and that is what I have now. It saw me through years of Warbirds till it (WB) went belly up.

What is really bugging me right now is a game crash. The message is "Domain error in SQRT" or similar. It happens consistently all of a sudden and a) I don't know what it means so B) I don't know how to cure it. All ideas appreciated.

LOL! I am the one with the dumb stick in itself, so I operate the Raptor with half keyboard and half stick.

But seeing how much blues those high end sticks have, I guess I am glad I invested in my "Microsoft Force Feedback 2" it is still going, and even has support in Win 7.

Heh, I still have a fully operational Microsoft first generation FF stick....at least it would be if I had a gameport. :(

What is really bugging me right now is a game crash. The message is "Domain error in SQRT" or similar. It happens consistently all of a sudden and a) I don't know what it means so B) I don't know how to cure it. All ideas appreciated.

Does this crash mid game? I've only seen this sort of thing with EF2000 on startup, but never with TAW.

Heh, I still have a fully operational Microsoft first generation FF stick....at least it would be if I had a gameport. :(

Does this crash mid game? I've only seen this sort of thing with EF2000 on startup, but never with TAW.

It happens every time I try and continue a CAP mission in the campaign. Just after take off I turn R onto the waypoint heading and get zapped. I've started a new campaign.