Bandits! Nine o'clock!

Stans

That's a sight not too many have witnessed first hand since 1945. I think every US film about the war in the Pacific used Harvard trainers painted to look like IJN aircraft ... although, I'm not sure what type of aircraft they used in that last movie about Pearl Harbor (CGI maybe?).

A few real Zeros were used in the making of the movie "Pearl Harbor". Here is some info from different sites I found.

A late-model A6M3 Zero Model 22 in green camouflage was used in the film from the Commemorative Air Force.

All Zeros involved in the attack on Pearl Harbor were light-coloured (JN grey-green) early series A6M2 Model 21s.

The Japanese Zeros in the film are painted dark green, but in reality, Japanese Navy Zero fighters were painted light grey in 1941. They weren't painted green until 1943.

Replicas of the Nakajima B5N2s used in the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor were manufactured for the movie “Tora! Tora! Tora!” that debuted in 1970. After that movie’s release, they were sold at auction to private individuals including Skip Rawson, a member of the Confederate Air Force (CAF).

Rawson said that only 11 planes were used to recreate the Pearl Harbor attack in the more recent movie, and producers were able to paint a digital “hole” in the movie and insert a plane of any color into the scene, effectively creating a swarm of Japanese bombers..

"When we were making peace with Japan, part of the treaty was that we were able to destroy all their Zeroes, all their planes. We actually made Japan destroy all the documents to rebuild one of these. I found some plane nuts, these guys who collect these planes, at the Museum of Flying in Santa Monica. These are very industrious guys that have actually found a couple of Zeroes that were sunk under the water. They raised them and they rebuilt these things in Russia by getting these ancient Japanese plans in an ancient Japanese language. There were only eight people who can transcribe this. These plans were done in this ancient Japanese language for secrecy. So they had to be transcribed into English and then into Russian and then these planes were rebuilt in Russia."

These planes were photographed in detail and, Bay said. "The footage was sent to ILM. And from there, they would digitally hand off a real plane to a fake plane. You'd see the fake plane and go into the water, crash, burn and rip apart. They were taking some of the software they invented for (George) Lucas' fourth installment of 'Star Wars,' where the pod chase breaks up. From there, they kind of perfected that."

"Where did they come from?"

"Uh, Japan?"

:rofl:

I'll never forget a CAF airshow I attended with my dad 25 years ago. He's a WWII vet. During the Pearl Harbor segment, when the Zeros swept low over the crowd with those red meatballs, I looked over at Pop, and his eyes were big as saucers. It was written all over his face: "Oh my God, they're back!"

In reality, the light gray paint was not really gray, but a pale, sickly shade of green. Here are some that were restored to the proper color.

6864141138_bd6946187a_z.jpg

040917-F-1234P-021.jpg

a6m2zerotainankokutaiv173mj7.jpg

This green was a glossy finish, but as the finish weathered and dulled, the oxidation gave it a light gray appearance.

You had to bring THAT up huh Joker?

Mitchie, the only thing that I would be in danger of from you is to die laughing at your attempts to fly and subsequent trips to the Yokosuka burn ward.