TrackIR 5

Not sure which I prefer?, that Hat clip seems to function better than the Pro clip and has no wires attached, but think I'll need a week to get this working satisfactory?...I'm seeing new angles of the cockpit I've never seen before. :huh:

20120508140938.jpg

Wow I just whacked all the shaders up to full in BMS so frame rate dropped to 48 at times, with TrackIR 5 running I could not tell the different one bit!, so thats another problem solved.....so basically its using the HAT switch to pan around the cockpit that FPS affects, if your using TrackIR then you will not notice any difference......fantastic!. :thumbsup:

EDIT: just ran Track IR with TAW 2.0.......amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to chime in late on this, but IMHO the TrackClip is a huge improvement over the hat, especially for 6DOF. Three reasons:

1. It is an active emitter, as opposed to a passive reflector. This allows for smoother tracking and less interference with ambient light (though the ambient light issue is much less than it was with earlier generation TIR units).
  2. It sits at the side of your head 3 inches back, rather than 3 inches in front. This six inch delta makes things better from the standpoint of a wider field of detection, which is important when glancing around the cockpit, like in F4 when you're trying to find that switch.
  3. When looking up or over the shoulder, I've found that the bill of the cap occludes one or two reflectors at more extreme angles. Not a deal breaker for 2DOF, but a major annoyance for 6DOF, and something that the TrackIR FOV won't fix. The TrackClip, being colocated with your head, will accept much more extreme angles (i.e. no longer looking at the monitor) before breaking sync with the TIR.

What I do is plug my USB headset into the TrackClip USB port, then use the TrackClip as my headset plug as well. I put both cords in 1/8" wire molding to prevent tangling, and it also protects against stepping when I get into my cockpit. Works like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I agree now after experimentation, what I was doing wrong with the Pro Clip was that I had the camera centre of the monitor when it should have been to the left side of the monitor, but now all is good, the 3d pit is awesome with TrackIR: :thumbsup:........also when using the HAT clip, the TrackIR camera (sensor) gets extremely hot, when using the Pro clip it does not.

20120530000214.jpg

20120530000230.jpg

I see you found the HMD controls! :icon_rock:

You mean the Helmet Mounted Cueing System (HMCS)! ;) ...............yeah its a great feature, and vital for Dogfight mode!, locking those Mig's up is so much easier with the HMCS and Track IR combined.

• 4 months later...

It's not that big of a difference. It's all about setting up your profile.

I have mine set up so I don't have to look more than 30-45 degrees off in order to check six. The trick is to have an exponential curve so your view moves more as your head moves further. This way you can easily look around your own cockpit with ease, but don't need much more movement to check your extremes.