COMBATSIM Forum
mikew

Pining for the fjörds

On 2012-10-03 at 9:40 PM, Home Fries said:

Is that what I think it is?

:icon_bow::icon_bow::icon_bow:

I doubt it, since it's not a real photo, but a depiction of a Norwegian glacier from a 1995 video game called EF2000.

Get in close, and it appears less real...

efbridge.png.852c4a7bc9101a1662f0d5fb392ebfa0.png

Very impressive what you made possible there! The moving map alone is a joy :thumbsup: I wish I had time to fix those clouds and stars, though …

Good work, gentlemen!

Speaking of fjörds: I always wonder how much that one Ace Combat 3 level borrowed of EF2000’s look:

Hey, I found the map used by that video in your AC extracted files that you linked to some time ago.

The area is quite limited, but the AC style of gameplay means that you're unlikely to reach the edges.

ac3_26.png.48bb89f5dfe58e99b7b045ecc65dbe21.png

...and yes, it's very EF2000-like.

Exactly! 👈 In the meantime, I found out why it’s all so dark: The PSX has a special gamma curve; you probably have to take the square root of each color value to make it look right (i.e. 50 % brightness in the files should actually be ~70 %). I’ll provide an updated file set one day …

On 2/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, Krycztij said:

I’ll provide an updated file set one day …

Did you ever do that? The AC world has grown on me since I got AC7. The 'Strangereal' concept is good way to have modern warfare with some fantasy elements and abstracted from the real world. I feel a bit guilty bombing Eritrea in TAW as they've done nothing bad to me. :)

I'd prefer TAW style gameplay though, as AC is just too frantic.

2 hours ago, mikew said:

Did you ever do that?

Yes! Download the latest package from http://krishty.com/acecombat_en. I fixed the brightness (the PSX used a very bright gamma of 4 or so), some normals, a few radoms, and some texture glitches.

2 hours ago, mikew said:

The AC world has grown on me since I got AC7. The 'Strangereal' concept is good way to have modern warfare with some fantasy elements and abstracted from the real world. I feel a bit guilty bombing Eritrea in TAW as they've done nothing bad to me. :)

I'd prefer TAW style gameplay though, as AC is just too frantic.

Exactly my opinion, too; and in fact something I’m aiming for with my clone.

If you’re into AC7 and like to change plane skins, check out the skins Ostrich made from my extracted files. It’s a pity that AC2 is too old to be directly connected to AC7 (and AC3 is too weird). Except for some familiar place names, maybe.

This guy was very successful at extracting the Assets from AC4/5/Zero (which directly influenced AC7) in case you ever play them.

I only played a few missions of AC7 to be honest, then watched damson's playthrough videos for the rest of the story. Playing was a bit painful on the gamepad I was forced to use, as my joystick isn't the AC7 branded one. It's a visually stunning game though.

Thanks for the updated AC3 data set. it's a lot brighter now. :thumbsup:

Almost tempted to try writing a VRML->.3 converter so I can fly around it in TFXplorer. Need to be able to produce BSP trees though.

No! should finish the .3->VRML one first. :)