COMBATSIM Forum

Wombat to join Falcon 4.32 BMS

BMS4.32 training Mission

I've been having a better look at the BMS Training Missions.

1. Training Mission 8 will not load.

2. There are no training scripts written for missions 40, 42, 43, 45 to 48, 50 to 52.

3. The value of most training scripts can be considered "valueless".

4. There are exceptions however, and here they are:

Mission 00 "Ramp Start" which is outstanding in terms of its presentation. As for its accuracy, I am too inexperienced to comment.

and

possibly mission 13 "Comms & IDM", 17 "HCMS AIM-9X Combination", 53 "Engine Restart", and 54 "Deep Stall Recovery".

I'm using BMS4.32 Training Mission 00 as my preferred package for Ramp Start training. I am also using it in conjunction with the the 'pit diagram from page 139 on the Dash1 Manual, together with the first page, and on, of the Open Falcon (OF) Ramp Start Procedure here. At least I can then identify physically where each instrument is positioned in the 'pit, as I undertake the interactive BMS4.32 Training Mission 00.

5. At least all the BMS training missions, other than number 8, put you in the 'pit in the right place to complete the mission. They just don't tell you how to do it. :lol: But that's what the other sources of information are for. So far I've covered Mission 00, 9 and 54 with alternative and hopefully better descriptors. And I still have Krause's tutorials to reinforce the training process.

EDIT: I've added my summarized script for BMS4.32 Training Mission 00 "Ramp Start" into my Public Dropbox. But I've forgotten how to direct people to it. :blush: Maybe Home Fries will fix for me? Thanks

[its only draft though]

I'll look for it and see what I can do.

For the script, it was an added feature, but training development was understandably a low priority for the dev team. That said, the scripting language looks pretty simple, and I believe a programming guide was included with BMS. If you wanted to develop the scripts for the next version, I'm sure the dev team would appreciate the input. Regardless, you could still develop and release the scripts on your own for interested folks.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I climb in the 'pit (since playing with the ramp start training mission), the trim is really bad. It rolls to the right in level flight. It appears to happen in any flight I'm on: TE's, Instant Action, etc. I've checked my Cougar calibration and that's fine. Have I upset the balance in the ramp start mission and its transferred to all flights? Surely not. Is there a way to set the trim to a default factory settings? I don't want to have to constantly re-trim every time I enter the 'pit. :( Thanks.

There is a command to recenter trim, though I can't think of what it is ATM. However, you can find it in the controller setup; I think the command starts with Manual Trim. I'm also unsure how your trim was offset post ramp start.

After you set your calibration, did you restart Falcon? Finally, if all else fails, did you try clicking on the "center" button in the controller setup menu?

EDIT: I've added my summarized script for BMS4.32 Training Mission 00 "Ramp Start" into my Public Dropbox. But I've forgotten how to direct people to it. :blush: Maybe Home Fries will fix for me? Thanks

[its only draft though]

right click on it and select "Dropbox->Copy Public Link". Paste the link into your forum post.

There is a command to recenter trim, though I can't think of what it is ATM. However, you can find it in the controller setup; I think the command starts with Manual Trim. I'm also unsure how your trim was offset post ramp start.

After you set your calibration, did you restart Falcon? Finally, if all else fails, did you try clicking on the "center" button in the controller setup menu?

THANKS!!!! This fixed it " ....... Finally, if all else fails, did you try clicking on the "center" button in the controller setup menu? ....." Cheque's (sorry "check's") in the post. :beer2:

right click on it and select "Dropbox->Copy Public Link". Paste the link into your forum post.

Thanks again. Updated my post to show the link. I have to say what an extraordinary job was done with the Ramp Start script. It beggars belief ..... :icon_bow: Must check on the author(s) and send him/them a PM.

[They were Kosmo, Revientor, DANNYCOH and Dunc ...... probably the same Dunc from TM profile days. :lol: ]

If your interested, here's the file location to see complete script: C:\Falcon 4.32\Data\Campaign\SAVE\-00-Ramp Start.txt

BMS4.32 training Mission-00 Ramp Start

I've added my summarized script for BMS4.32 Training Mission 00 "Ramp Start" into my Public Dropbox here.

[its only draft though]

I've now updated it. Its more "readable" and have printed it off to refer to when I undertake the training mission. Allows me to look ahead/look back as I progress through the interactive mission. I've also made "notes in the margin" which are useful and made some changes to the script which I think make more sense, well ...... to me anyway. :lol: Means now I have my own script (-00-Ramp Start.txt) file. The summary is also good in the sense that it tells me what many of the important acronyms are: DID, MRM, ATC, EWS, etc as related to the 'pit. I also use the 'pit diagram on page 139 of the BMS Dash1 manual in conjunction with my script summary. I have link the two by using reference numbers marked against items in the script to numbers marked on the 'pit diagram to showing their location. eg LG (Landing Gear Panel) [13] and NWS (What's that mean again .......are yes .......) [39]

Spent too much bloody time on it however. :rolleyes: But its been fun and I do know my 'pit layout far better now. Still looking for the stubbie holder though. ;)

Its here if you want it.

For hints, I'll tell you what I tell everybody starting out.

Falcon is about the most complex flight sim out there (since eclipsed by DCS, but not by much). It will take some time to learn the systems, and even more time to become proficient at them. And even more time to understand how you can use your sensors and systems to come up with an air picture (situational awareness). There are no short-cuts.

Here is what I recommend for a set-up:

1. First, load the BMS.key keyset file, which enables the new BMS functionality. It will not be enabled by default, but can be accessed in the Setup tab of the UI.
  2. If you have a TM Cougar, start out by not using a profile. The BMS.key defaults the cougar buttons to their actual F-16 counterparts, so the stick will work like you see it in the manual (and like the real thing).

If this means my Cougar is setup with this "default profile." Then:

(1) how do I see it in Foxy;

and (2) what's the CCP layout?

I ask this because I'd like to print it/them off.

Thanks.

If this means my Cougar is setup with this "default profile." Then:

(1) how do I see it in Foxy;

and (2) what's the CCP layout?

I ask this because I'd like to print it/them off.

Thanks.

EDIT: Quote: " ................. so the stick will work like you see it in the manual ......... " Which manual? :huh:

Also, "Default Cougar Loadout" = Windows (not programmed).

Thanks. So is there a foxy text view of the .tmc and .tmm?

And what about the CCP layout? Got it! page 8 of the HOTAS Cougar Reference Book

So that just leaves the .tmc and .tmm for WINDOWS mode. Where do I see those?

Edit: Sorry .tmj not .tmc

EDIT 2: In other words, where is the default.tmj and default.tmm?

Do you have a rudder?

Also, in Windows mode, emulation is off. Therefore there is no tmm/tmj for a non-profile. The buttons are DirectX buttons and are recognized within BMS itself.

If you mean ....do I have rudder pedal? The answer is no.

I now understand that there are no tmj/tmm files ....... you are just controlling it directly with the default.tmc file and bms.key files incorporated within the Cougar.

However, when on the ground, what do I steer with?

With TAW2.0 I have the Range Knob set up for the number 6 axis, but this is all changed for the default.tmc.

I can't even find any key strokes that will steer the frigging thing like I had set up in Falcon4AF.

Sorry ..... I'm getting frustrated and disillusioned .... :banghead: Time for bed. Its 3.21am. :rolleyes:

BMSroll-linkednws.jpg

This lets you steer with your stick (i.e. roll axis).

Thanks. Have I missed this in the manual? Any manual?

I've done a search in both BMS4.32 and AF manuals and only found this in the Dash1 Manual on page 43:

"The NWS is relevant only when the aircraft is on the ground. It comes ON when the

NOSE WHEEL SYSTEM is engaged, allowing the pilot to steer the aircraft with the

nose gear by depressing the rudders pedals to control direction."

But what if you don't have pedals! :shrug:

In AF there appears to be no option for "Enable roll-link ....".

However, maybe its just me ....... a dumb Aussie asking stupid questions that every other incoming BMS pilot knows the answer ..... :(

Just adds to my frustration ....

This lets you steer with your stick (i.e. roll axis).

No ...... Nothing works, but I really don't know what "roll axis" is. Is it the TRIM HAT?

Don't bother to reply. I'm going back to train in FalconAF. I never should have left ..........

Roll axis is simply moving the stick left and right.

There are 3 axes for aircraft movement: roll, pitch and yaw. pitch is fwd/back on the stick, and yaw is rudders.

In other words, you should be able to move your stick from side to side to steer on the ground.

No ...... Nothing works, but I really don't know what "roll axis" is. Is it the TRIM HAT?

Don't bother to reply. I'm going back to train in FalconAF. I never should have left ..........

Um maybe I dont remeber but dont you still need to Enable NWSwhile using the stick????

Um maybe I dont remeber but dont you still need to Enable NWSwhile using the stick????

Thanks Neph, but tried that and still no good. The frustrating thing is that I did a search at the BMS Forum for "NWS". Found dozens of post regarding the issue and other pilots frustration with the same. There were lots of suggestion (mostly <SHIFT> + < / >, some expressed it as SHIFT + / which could be confused as <SHIFT> <+> < / > however ..... ) but really nothing about actioning the Nose Wheel. Maybe , . shift, shift. + - etc, etc, but nothing worked for me. I think there's lots of other influences going on: keyboard type, use of rudder pedals or lack of them, .key file used, type of HOTAS, Cougar CCP setup, etc.

I've solved it this way. It works in the sim, but the rudder could not have such influence when taxing in reality.

BMS432AxisSetup.jpg

Anyway, as I said I'm going back to AF. Its got a great manual. My NWS works, I use Dunc's Cougar profile (modified) and I've progressed to the Avionics training missions previously.

My experience with BMS has just been painful and that's not just regarding NWS. The only good thing I got out of training in BMS4.32 was their ramp start. I spent a lot of time working my way through, as you can see by my posts and my work here. It really now has me comfortable in the 'pit. I know where things are. Now to find out how they work and I'll use AF training missions for that. I'll possibly move to BMS after I've trained but I wouldn't bet on it.

I've solved it this way. It works in the sim, but the rudder could not have such influence when taxing in reality.

I'm not sure what you were showing with that picture. The rudder is still not enabled, unless you're saying that you swapped the rudder axis with either the range knob or antenna knob. If you have to do that, I recommend using the range knob to start; it is only useful in BMS when using the Sniper pod, which is a ways away in your trainng since you appear to be starting again from scratch.

Anyway, as I said I'm going back to AF. Its got a great manual. My NWS works, I use Dunc's Cougar profile (modified) and I've progressed to the Avionics training missions previously.

My experience with BMS has just been painful and that's not just regarding NWS. The only good thing I got out of training in BMS4.32 was their ramp start. I spent a lot of time working my way through, as you can see by my posts and my work here. It really now has me comfortable in the 'pit. I know where things are. Now to find out how they work and I'll use AF training missions for that. I'll possibly move to BMS after I've trained but I wouldn't bet on it.

You have to understand that BMS was designed with a target audience of experienced falconeers, and they haven't done a full-blown manual for BMS either, much less revamped the training. If you go back to AF for training, that's fine as long as you don't become dependent on the keystrokes or the cougar profile. Some of the nuances will need to be exposed by experience. This is why we have offered to get online with you to go through some of this stuff that you can't expect to get from a manual or from a post 12 hours after the fact. Get back on Raptr and hit us up when we're online.

You have to understand that BMS was designed with a target audience of experienced falconeers .....

My point entirely. I said this right from the start, but I wasn't listening, even though I posted the same elsewhere.

This is why we have offered to get online with you to go through some of this stuff that you can't expect to get from a manual or from a post 12 hours after the fact. Get back on Raptr and hit us up when we're online.

Thank you for the offer, but I will decline. I appreciate the opportunity to have one on one training, but that's not what I set out to achieve. To reproduce from my earlier post:

" ....... its more: what is the best way to use the AF training missions? Within the AF sim or within the BMS sim? (Its an option available to most new Falcon pilots as Falcon4AF is an "almost must have" to install BMS.) At the moment I thinking its within the AF sim ............. Remember I'm trying to view it from a novice Falcon pilot's point of view; not an experienced AF pilot moving to BMS ....... ".

I think I've found my answer: undertake newbie training through Falcon 4 AF and leave BMS4.32 (to use your words): " ...... BMS was designed with a target audience of experienced falconeers ....."

However, when on the ground, what do I steer with?

With TAW2.0 I have the Range Knob set up for the number 6 axis, but this is all changed for the default.tmc.

I can't even find any key strokes that will steer ........... like I had set up in Falcon4AF.

Here's how to NWS in BMS4.32 if you have no rudder pedals.

BMS pilots WHO HAVE NO RUDDER PEDALS:

to activate Nose Wheel Steering (NWS) press <SHIFT> plus < / > and steer using the keyboard with <SHIFT> plus <ALT> plus <left arrow> to move left and <SHIFT> plus <ALT> plus <right arrow> to move right.

If you have a Cougar go to Setup -> Controllers -> Advanced -> Flight Control and set your Rudder Axis to Keyboard. This allows steering by the joystick by moving it left or right. Now go to Setup -> Controllers -> Advanced -> View Control and activate the "Enable Roll-link NWS".

[Thanks -Ice over at SimHQ]

Here's how to NWS in BMS4.32 if you have no rudder pedals.

BMS pilots WHO HAVE NO RUDDER PEDALS:

to activate Nose Wheel Steering (NWS) press <SHIFT> plus < / > and steer using the keyboard with <SHIFT> plus <ALT> plus <left arrow> to move left and <SHIFT> plus <ALT> plus <right arrow> to move right.

If you have a Cougar go to Setup -> Controllers -> Advanced -> Flight Control and set your Rudder Axis to Keyboard. This allows steering by the joystick by moving it left or right. Now go to Setup -> Controllers -> Advanced -> View Control and activate the "Enable Roll-link NWS".

[Thanks -Ice over at SimHQ]

Well I was half Correct. The thing about setting the Rudder to keyboard should have been a given..