COMBATSIM Forum

Wombat to join Falcon 4.32 BMS

Wombat,

There appears to be a number of ways of finding specific locations (eg. waypoints, target location, air bases, etc) but do we have a preferred way? Viewing the MFD would be my favourite as it matches what we do in TAW2.0. :icon_rock: Although correct timing's a problem in that case ....... :huh:

Don't think so much of a "preferred way" as everything contributing to a bigger picture. The tadpole on the HUD will tell you how to get to your waypoint as well as the speed caret, but the HSI if set correctly tells you what you need to do to correct your track if black line navigation is necessary. Likewise, the HSD gives you the top down view of your route so you get SA on where your waypoint is in relation to everything else, vector to friendly airspace, home plate, etc. Don't forget that the HSI is the only way to see the TACAN needle as long as you select one of the TACAN nav modes, and selecting this is also required for ILS cueing.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the electronic instruments are for non-believers... Just close your eyes and use the FORCE...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nice to see others reading this thread, if for nothing else but to get a laugh out of me. :dancinguy:

An ILS has a 200' AGL minimum usually, at which point you either have the landing zone in sight or go around.

The HUD is best since all the info you need is there.

Yes I agree. However HF's point about the value of the HSI is very relevant. The only trouble with the HSI and the needle is that if you under or over shot the needle before or after turning to approach, it seems impossible to correct the error. You've lost the radial spoke.

Sounds great, Wombat! You are way ahead of me. I'd best program the HOTAS.

I haven't as yet programmed my HOTAS. I'm just using the analogue axis input on the stick (eg. x, y, z, etc) and the keyboard. I know I could come to regret this later when I move from AF to BMS as I'll be looking to use the keyboard as little as possible. However if its getting me in the air quicker to train, so much the better. The training manual that comes with AF identifies all the necessary keystrokes to achieve any desired outcome, (eg. <SHIFT> plus <F11> to change the HSD range display) so I can then focus on other navigational issues of more relevance.

When I'm training on my Netbook and MS Sidewinder I have no choice regardless. Apart from the instrument panel being very hard to read, particularly the DED, I'm getting by. Although it is lovely to get back to a 21" monitor rather than the Netbook 10" one. ;)

I haven't as yet programmed my HOTAS. I'm just using the analogue axis input on the stick (eg. x, y, z, etc) and the keyboard. I know I could come to regret this later when I move from AF to BMS as I'll be looking to use the keyboard as little as possible. However if its getting me in the air quicker to train, so much the better. The training manual that comes with AF identifies all the necessary keystrokes to achieve any desired outcome, (eg. <SHIFT> plus <F11> to change the HSD range display) so I can then focus on other navigational issues of more relevance.

When I'm training on my Netbook and MS Sidewinder I have no choice regardless. Apart from the instrument panel being very hard to read, particularly the DED, I'm getting by. Although it is lovely to get back to a 21" monitor rather than the Netbook 10" one. ;)

You're excused because you're on the netbook, but when you get back to your gaming rig, you're better served trying to figure out BMS than you are just using keystrokes in AF. Remember: if you're going to stick with AF for training, then use Jagstang's AF profile; then you only need to learn one set of commands.

Wombat about no sound in DCSWgoto Options under sound is the volume turned up 100%??

Ye ........ everything is at 100% :( Not like good old TAW2.0, where, as you adjust the sound, you get an audible response. But maybe DCS does that as well when its working properly ..... :shrug:

@HF

DCS World: No sound ....... :shrug:

Did a re-install including DX update and got this:

DXerror.jpg

Did a check and got this:

dxerror2.jpg

So its not that.

Anyway ....... that's enough time on DCS ........ back to good old Falcon training. :thumbsup:

gentlemen forgive the intrusion.....but when I go to the T.E. section I only see- 01 basic handling 02 takeoff training, and nothing else!!!!!! can you please help? thanks in advance.

That's no problem. Its what we're here for. ;) I assume you're talking about the BMS4.32 training missions. You can click on the "Enable Training Script" before hitting Commit, but they are virtually worthless. BMS, and rightly so, spent their time on more important things and left it to others to write the scripts.

That's why I'm doing my training in Falcon4AF. It comes with a 700 odd page training manual. Once I've completed this I'm move to BMS. However not everybody thinks this that this is a good strategy. There is a marginal re-training requirement when you move from AF to BMS. (ie. some things BMS are different.). But it suits my slow moving mind and I hope it works for me.

BMS is the alternate Falcon FSim preferred option the experienced all tell me.

gentlemen forgive the intrusion.....but when I go to the T.E. section I only see- 01 basic handling 02 takeoff training, and nothing else!!!!!! can you please help? thanks in advance.

Verify that you are in the regular Korea Theater of Operations (the one that BMS defaulted to), and go to the Training tab under the TE menu. You should see at least 30 missions.

Verify that you are in the regular Korea Theater of Operations (the one that BMS defaulted to), and go to the Training tab under the TE menu. You should see at least 30 missions.

Ah ....... I think you might be closer to problem ........ ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think you did the right thing to join the BMS, unluckly I would like too but my hardware is not good enough so I will have to wait watching the other flying this new masterpiece. I have been told the graphic is wonderful.

Meanwhile I will be forced to remain with Open Falcon 4.5, not too bad but everybody is saying that last freefalcon and BMS are far more better as a pilot experience!