COMBATSIM Forum

TAW2.0 Brevity Codes: their meaning and correct use.

Wombat1940

This thread has been start in response to a post by Home Fries here, and post by Neph and myself at the same thread.

I cannot necessarily give the definitive correct responses to any. In fact I'm asking others to do that for me. Let's have one a day. From anybody. Those who know and those who would like to know.

Here's my first:

At take-off the Lead says "Going 180". I think it means he is airborne.

1. What does it mean? (Keep it simple for me please ............ ;) ). Not too much jargon or other brevity codes please.

2. Most important: what do the wingmen say in response (nothing I assume) and what do they say as they take-off?

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUSTER = Directive call to fly at Military Power 100% Throttle

Good one! Remember the other day you said "military power take-off" (we were to conserve fuel) and I forgot and blasted out in front of everybody? :blush: I shall now wait for "Buster" from my Lead .......... and still forget ........." and blasted out in front of everybody" again ...... :rofl:

As a wingie, what's my response? Affirmative? Copy? Roger?........ :huh:

Are you talking the LEad in Multiplay?? The Wingmen should Say "Airborne" when they are in the air..

Ye ...... the Lead in MP. What's the "180 bit" mean anyway? And why the Lead? Why not "Airborne" like the wingies? I think you say: "going 180"? :huh:

Wombat,

I'm still not sure what you're getting at with the 180, other than what I posted earlier. As far as buster goes, that's not normally used for takeoff (you would say full mil or mil or military). Buster is normally used when discussing the urgency to get somewhere, like if you need to catch up to your package or intercept a bad guy.

As always, the trick with brevity codes is using them in the proper context. This is why that code of the day thread at BMS is so good; they actually discussed the nuances between Push and Pushing on day 1 (and yes, they are very different).

you also need to be precise with the codes. Are they saying "going 180" or "heading 180"?

No ...... I think they are saying "going 180". I suppose we don't have to be realistically correct. It'll never be universally correct as each air-force can have their own interpretation. We just need our own here at TAW2.0 as close to realism as possible. Maybe follow the US air-force? Do we have a US Air-force brevity code manual? Of-course we have one as HF said in the reference section of the Launcher.

Wombat,

I'm still not sure what you're getting at with the 180, other than what I posted earlier. As far as buster goes, that's not normally used for takeoff (you would say full mil or mil or military). Buster is normally used when discussing the urgency to get somewhere, like if you need to catch up to your package or intercept a bad guy.

As always, the trick with brevity codes is using them in the proper context. This is why that code of the day thread at BMS is so good; they actually discussed the nuances between Push and Pushing on day 1 (and yes, they are very different).

Well, that's what I'm here for. Not to instruct but to be instructed. ;)

We're discussing "Buster" on our TAW2.0 day 1. From what you've said earlier its an in flight term rather than a take-off term?

I hope this thread doesn't go the same way this one's going. :(

I just want to understand and use a few brevity terms that we all recognize like :

Lead: "Go card".

Wingman 1: "Two!"

Wingman 2: "Three"

Wingman 3: "Four".

or

Battie: "Going defensive!"

or

Lead: "Battie, move up"

Battie: "Sir!" and not "Sir????" And that's why I'm here ...... :icon_salute3:

Well the Bit I say is to "Rotate at 180". which means lift off at the speed of 180..

Thanks Neph. :thumbsup: Of course it was you I had heard it from and it sounds real cool. :lol: I hear you say it on the runway just prior take-off and I think :wtf::rofl: . I think we should keep it. Don't care if its not used elsewhere. Just great instruction from the Lead to the flight package. So .....

"Rotate at 180"

FOX (Number)

Simulated/actual launch of air-to-air weapons.

ONE - semi-active radar-guided missile.

TWO - infrared-guided missile.

THREE - active radar-guided missile.

Ye ..... I've heard this a lot. I don't use them, but I'm going to start.

"Fox ONE" for R's

"Fox TWO" for C's

"Fox THREE" for heaters

Would be nice to standardize the brevity names of weapons at TAW2.0.

Here's the list for TAW2.0

AIM9X = Heaters?

AMRAAM C =

AMRAAM R =

AGM 65G = Mavericks?

AGM 88 =

GBU 24 =

JDAM =

LAU 68 = Rockets?

MK82R =

MK82F =

MK83F =

MK20 =

Thanks Neph. :thumbsup: Of course it was you I had heard it from and it sounds real cool. :lol: I hear you say it on the runway just prior take-off and I think :wtf::rofl: . I think we should keep it. Don't care if its not used elsewhere. Just great instruction from the Lead to the flight package. So .....

"Rotate at 180"

Ye ..... I've heard this a lot. I don't use them, but I'm going to start.

"Fox ONE" for R's

"Fox TWO" for C's

"Fox THREE" for heaters

Would be nice to standardize the brevity names of weapons at TAW2.0.

Here's the list for TAW2.0

AIM9X = Heaters? SAY Fox 2

AMRAAM C =?? SAY Fox 3

AMRAAM R =Long Stick SAY Fox 3

AGM 65G = Mavericks? Say Rifle

AGM 88 =H.A.R.M....Not sure the exact term to say?? I just say Pickle

GBU 24 = L.G.B.. Say Pickle

JDAM = JDAM... Say Pickle

LAU 68 = Rockets?... Not sure

MK82R =Dumb Bomb.... Say Pickle

MK82F =xx

MK83F =xx

MK20 =Cluster Bomb... I say Pickle again for this..

Wombat Read the Brevity again or you have the missiles all WRONG..

Fox 1 for SEMI Active Radar like the Aim - 7..NOT in TAW

Fox 2 for Infared Active missiles like the Aim 9 series..,Heaters

Fox 3 For Active Radar guided in TAW that is BOTH the C & R's.. Aim 120

I do NOT understand what you want out of that list of weapons Brevity codes for each??

Wombat Read the Brevity again or you have the missiles all WRONG..

Fox 1 for SEMI Active Radar like the Aim - 7..NOT in TAW

Fox 2 for Infared Active missiles like the Aim 9 series..,Heaters

Fox 3 For Active Radar guided in TAW that is BOTH the C & R's.. Aim 120

Firstly ..... I thought this made a lot of sense in regard to this thread as well.

In regard to Fox1/2/3. I didn't realise I had them wrong. :blush: :blush: :blush:

So in TAW2.0 it just Fox 2 and Fox 3 then?

I do NOT understand what you want out of that list of weapons Brevity codes for each??

Its as you've suggested: give them names

AIM9X = Heater's SAY Fox 2

AMRAAM C =?? SAY Fox 3 But what if I what to tell somebody how many ????'s I've got left?

AMRAAM R =Long Stick's SAY Fox 3

AGM 65G = Maverick's Say Rifle

AGM 88 =H.A.R.M....Not sure the exact term to say ?? I just say Pickle. Maybe HARM's? :huh:

GBU 24 = L.G.B.. Say Pickle. LGB's ?

JDAM = JDAM's... Say Pickle

MK82R =Dumb Bomb's.... Say Pickle

MK82F =xx Dumb Bomb's?

MK83F =xx Dumb Bomb's?

MK20 =Cluster Bomb's... I say Pickle again for this..

Firstly ..... I thought this made a lot of sense in regard to this thread as well.

In regard to Fox1/2/3. I didn't realise I had them wrong. :blush: :blush: :blush:

So in TAW2.0 it just Fox 2 and Fox 3 then?

Its as you've suggested: give them names

AMRAAM C =?? SAY Fox 3 But what if I what to tell somebody how many ????'s I've got left? you would say 3 active or 1 heater left

AGM 88 =H.A.R.M....Not sure the exact term to say ?? I just say Pickle. Maybe HARM's? UMM it is MAGNUM!! Cant believe I forgot that..

GBU 24 = L.G.B.. Say Pickle. LGB's ? SORRY Laser Guided Bombs

MK82F =xx Dumb Bomb's? YES

MK83F =xx Dumb Bomb's? YES

Well We are a small group and for the most part especially the guys who Fly TAW Multiplayer tohether. I would think we have a mutual respect for everyones elses opinions and would hope we are NOT going to go down like that thread is..

I mean I think we can debate a specific Brevity code without going bonkers and if HF's said this is what it ment I would tend to believe him and would look it up myself to verify and I would think that would be that but who knows I guess when you have a Public board with people who have no respect for each other that often turns heated.. I guess because NO ONE Wants to be Wrong or can even admit that they are wrong..

I think Our little Brevity discussion is going well and will continue to do so..

AMRAAM C =?? SAY Fox 3 But what if I what to tell somebody how many ????'s I've got left? you would say 3 active or 1 heater left

AGM 88 =H.A.R.M....Not sure the exact term to say ?? I just say Pickle. Maybe HARM's? UMM it is MAGNUM!! Cant believe I forgot that..

GBU 24 = L.G.B.. Say Pickle... Not sure

MK82F =xx Dumb Bomb's? YES

MK83F =xx Dumb Bomb's? YES

AMRAAM C =?? SAY Fox 3 But what if I what to tell somebody how many ????'s I've got left? you would say 3 active or 1 heater left.

AGM 88 = H.A.R.M....Not sure the exact term to say ?? I just say Pickle. Maybe HARM's? UMM it is MAGNUM!! Cant believe I forgot that..

MK82R = Dumb Bomb's.... Say Pickle

MK82F = Dumb Bomb's.... Say Pickle

MK83F = Dumb Bomb's.... Say Pickle

MK20 = Cluster Bomb's... I say Pickle again for this..

Well that leaves AMRAAM C's, GBU's, LAU 68's and (I forgot) Cannon.

I'm suggesting (and its just for TAW2.0):

AMRAAM C =C's SAY Fox 3

AMRAAM R =R's SAY Fox 3

GBU 24 = GBU's SAY Pickle

LAU 68 = Rocket's SAY ???

Cannon = Gun's SAY Guns

This thread is getting away from its singular intent: Brevity Codes. However I have no problem with that particularly after reading Neph's last post. If I'm flying TAW2.0 MP and I say I have 3 C's left or yell out Guns!!!, others will know what I'm saying. They might not be the right brevity codes, but so what? Better than stumbling around with "I've got 3 missiles left, You know ........ the ones which you can use BVR". :huh::rofl:

When HF posted I started monitoring the site and, immediately I thought: ...I hope someone has the foresight to lock up the kitchen knives because this is going to get really aggressive :o

Ye ........ it appears to be a minefield. :sofa1: No ... it won't get aggressive here at CombatSim. We're too professional for that. At take-off if the Lead says "Rotate at 180", I'll know what he means and that's the important thing.

I though I'd summarize as to where we are at in TAW2.0 with the " Commonly Used Terminology" thread as I now prefer to call it.

Buster = Directive call to fly at max continuous speed(military power). ie. 100% Throttle

Rotate at 180 = Lift off at a speed of 180 knots.

Heater = AIM9X

Maverick = AGM65G

JDAM = JDAM

Dumb Bombs = MK82R's/MK82F's/MK83F's

Cluster Bombs = MK20's

Fox 2 for launching Heater's.

Fox 3 for launching AMRAAM C's and AMRAAM R's.

Rifle for launching Maverick's.

Pickle for launching, JDAM's, GBU's, Dumb and Cluster Bomb's.

Added 3/12/12

GBU = GBU 24

HARM = AGM88

C's = AMRAAM C's

R's = AMRAAM R's

Guns = Cannon

Guns! Guns! Guns! for firing Guns

Rockets = LAU 68's

Feed back please. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wombat1940

First of all, don't confuse missile names with brevity codes. Many times the brevity codes are used to hide exact capabilities onstation. For example, whenever I checked in onstation, I would never say "P-3C" because others listening in immediately knew my capabilities and loiter time. I would say "Pelican", which is the brevity code for maritime patrol aircraft.

So understanding that brevity calls are informative in nature as well as being quick, don't expect there to be too much. Sometimes you just need to come out and say it.

Fox 1 is Semi active homing missile like the AIM-7 sparrow or R-23 on the Russian side of the house. This is important because it lets everybody know that you need to keep the target locked in STT throughout the missile flight. A good flight lead or wingman would give you maximim support in this case since while you are locked on the target you can't see anything else on your Gadget (brevity code for radar).

Fox 2 is a heater missile.

Fox 3 is an actively guided missile such as the AMRAAM or the AIM-54 Phoenix. Generally you need to keep a TWS lock on the target partway through the missile's flight, at which point it goes active ("Pitbull").

AGM-65 = Rifle

AGM-88 = Magnum (you got that)

AGM-84 Harpoon = Bruiser (Falcon uses bruiser for nukes, but I have no experience with that).

Pickle is used as a generic term when dropping air to ground munitions, though it is more useful in a stand-off capacity. If you're dropping a low altitude pass (think close air support) you'll generally call in hot and off target, along with your vectors (i.e. "Home Fries in hot 030" or "Home Fries Off Target 085") to allow for deconfliction.

Likewise, you can call "rockets", but you're usually in hot and off target for those runs, and it's more important to get the weps on target than it is to talk about it in real time.

First of all, don't confuse missile names with brevity codes. Many times the brevity codes are used to hide exact capabilities onstation. For example, whenever I checked in onstation, I would never say "P-3C" because others listening in immediately knew my capabilities and loiter time. I would say "Pelican", which is the brevity code for maritime patrol aircraft.

So understanding that brevity calls are informative in nature as well as being quick, don't expect there to be too much. Sometimes you just need to come out and say it.

onstation ??

P-3C ??

No problems with the rest. Just wish I hadn't been so specific with the thread title, hence my reference to "Commonly Used Terminology" thread.

Fox 1 is Semi active homing missile like the AIM-7 sparrow or R-23 on the Russian side of the house. This is important because it lets everybody know that you need to keep the target locked in STT throughout the missile flight. A good flight lead or wingman would give you maximim support in this case since while you are locked on the target you can't see anything else on your Gadget (brevity code for radar).

STT ??

Is this the case with TAW2.0? I'm unaware of loosing anything when I have a bandit/ground vehicle/building locked-up. Maybe the LANTIRN? But that's laser's not radar. Can you explain.

Fox 2 is a heater missile.

Fox 3 is an actively guided missile such as the AMRAAM or the AIM-54 Phoenix. Generally you need to keep a TWS lock on the target partway through the missile's flight, at which point it goes active ("Pitbull").

TWS??

Again is this the case with TAW2.0? I use auto cycle to the next target and might have two AMRAAM's in flight at two different targets with me holding lock on neither .... :huh: With mavericks on static targets I hold the lock until impact, but I don't think I do with mobile ground targeting. Interesting.....

AGM-65 = Rifle

AGM-88 = Magnum (you got that)

AGM-84 Harpoon = Bruiser (Falcon uses bruiser for nukes, but I have no experience with that).

Will add Bruiser to list. :thumbsup:

Pickle is used as a generic term when dropping air to ground munitions, though it is more useful in a stand-off capacity. If you're dropping a low altitude pass (think close air support) you'll generally call in hot and off target, along with your vectors (i.e. "Home Fries in hot 030" or "Home Fries Off Target 085") to allow for deconfliction.

deconfliction ??

Are the references 030 and 085 bearings?

What the physical difference between hot and off target? I've heard you call these on SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Defenses) missions but never understood what they mean.

Likewise, you can call "rockets", but you're usually in hot and off target for those runs, and it's more important to get the weps on target than it is to talk about it in real time.

weps = weapons ??

Ye ....... maybe I wouldn't call "rockets" ..... maybe just "target destroyed" or say nothing if I've missed.

Thanks HF, most informative. If nothing else, I'll understand more of the communications during a multiplay mission.