COMBATSIM Forum

TAW2.0 Brevity Codes: their meaning and correct use.

Wombat1940

I thought you said that's what you say.

So what do we say?

Would be interesting to see what the AI wingmen say in packaged mission. Probably nothing. :lol:

They say nothing .........Oh, except YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! when they get a hit. :rolleyes:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snapback.png

The_Nephilim, on 03 December 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

Magnum is the Term used when Firing a HARM.

Wombat, on 03 December 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

Thanks to you and HF for this. Made change here

But there is an alternative here at C:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0\Useful Documents\TAW REFERENCES\Multiservice_Brevity_Codes - page 4 :shrug:

snapback.png

But there is an alternative here at C:\DiD\F-22 Total Air War 2.0\Useful Documents\TAW REFERENCES\Multiservice_Brevity_Codes - page 4 :shrug:

Can you just tell us what it is this other alternative for magnum is???

next time you can just say the MBC book in the taw documents menu..there is no such folder or location you linked there..useful documents should of stated the ADL! folder then in the Documents folder..

onstation ??

P-3C ??

P-3C is the aircraft on which I flew. Onstation is a term saying that you are tactically available (i.e. flying a CAP, CAS on demand, or flexible tasking). If you are not onstation, you are transiting to station, or going offstation (either your time is up or you don't have any more ordinance to expend).

STT ??

Is this the case with TAW2.0? I'm unaware of loosing anything when I have a bandit/ground vehicle/building locked-up. Maybe the LANTIRN? But that's laser's not radar. Can you explain.

TWS??

Again is this the case with TAW2.0? I use auto cycle to the next target and might have two AMRAAM's in flight at two different targets with me holding lock on neither .... :huh: With mavericks on static targets I hold the lock until impact, but I don't think I do with mobile ground targeting. Interesting.....

STT=Single Target Track, TWS=Track While Scan. Neither directly applies to TAW, but are very relevant in the Falcon and Flaming Cliffs radar models.

STT is when you are continuously locked onto a target, and the entire radar energy expenditure is to keep that target in sight. Semi-active radar homing missiles require constant lock in order to track, so this is why STT can be critical, and its use limits the SA of the user.

TWS is a radar mode that keeps track of a specific target ("bugged" target), but scans the area immediately around the target for other contacts. Because it provides a more limited search area, it scans at a higher rate and can provide airspeed azimuth, etc. TWS mode is also sufficient to provide intermittent tracking data for the Active radar missiles until they go pitbull. You need to be in at least TWS to fire an AMRAAM in Falcon (you can be in STT, but why would you want to be?).

While we're on the subject, RWS = Range While Search, which is the "basic" radar mode where you see nothing but blips. You get maximum coverage, but no data until a target is bugged.

deconfliction ??

Are the references 030 and 085 bearings?

What the physical difference between hot and off target? I've heard you call these on SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Defenses) missions but never understood what they mean.

Deconfliction = making sure you don't hit each other or fly through somebody elses frag pattern. The numbers are headings so if I call "In hot 085" you should be looking for me west of the target. If you can't see me, don't go in. If I call off target along with a heading, then you should make sure that my heading doesn't interfere with your approach to the target.

weps = weapons ??

yes

OK looked for this Maunal there is NO Useful Documents folder in the c:did\F-22 Total Air War 2.0 folder???

Can you just tell us what it is this other laternative for magnum??

True statement. I did not include "useful documents"; rather it is under the !ADP folder. Best bet is to find it in the bottom row of the references menu of the TAW Launcher.

True statement. I did not include "useful documents"; rather it is under the !ADP folder. Best bet is to find it in the bottom row of the references menu of the TAW Launcher.

Yres but I thought this was some other manual?? looks to be the same one we are using but I still did not see the alternative to Magnum??

snapback.png

What is this alternative?? that is the same manual we are looking at there is ONLY 1 brevity code book we have in the taw reference

Can you just tell us what it is this other alternative for magnum is???

next time you can just say the MBC book in the taw documents menu..there is no such folder or location you linked there..useful documents should of stated the ADL! folder then in the Documents folder..

Sorry ..... :blush: ....that my personal location of course. The ref. won't let me copy and paste the alternative. Your right. Its in the ADL!/documentation folder the MBC .pdf file , bottom of page 4.

magnum.jpg

HF said: P-3C is the aircraft on which I flew. Onstation is a term saying that you are tactically available (i.e. flying a CAP, CAS on demand, or flexible tasking). If you are not onstation, you are transiting to station, or going offstation (either your time is up or you don't have any more ordinance to expend).

Thanks.

HF said: STT=Single Target Track, TWS=Track While Scan. Neither directly applies to TAW, but are very relevant in the Falcon and Flaming Cliffs radar models.

STT is when you are continuously locked onto a target, and the entire radar energy expenditure is to keep that target in sight. Semi-active radar homing missiles require constant lock in order to track, so this is why STT can be critical, and its use limits the SA of the user.

Thanks, but I'm focusing on "Commonly Used Terminology" relevant to TAW2.0 as thread title intimates.

HF said: TWS is a radar mode that keeps track of a specific target ("bugged" target), but scans the area immediately around the target for other contacts. Because it provides a more limited search area, it scans at a higher rate and can provide airspeed azimuth, etc. TWS mode is also sufficient to provide intermittent tracking data for the Active radar missiles until they go pitbull. You need to be in at least TWS to fire an AMRAAM in Falcon (you can be in STT, but why would you want to be?).

As above

HF said: Deconfliction = making sure you don't hit each other or fly through somebody elses frag pattern. The numbers are headings so if I call "In hot 085" you should be looking for me west of the target. If you can't see me, don't go in. If I call off target along with a heading, then you should make sure that my heading doesn't interfere with your approach to the target.

Thanks

HF said :yes

OK

HF said: While we're on the subject, RWS = Range While Search, which is the "basic" radar mode where you see nothing but blips. You get maximum coverage, but no data until a target is bugged.

Again I assume this is not relevant for "Commonly Used Terminology" in TAW2.0

There are plenty of discussion items not directly related to TAW, but are related in a tertiary fashion. Radar modes stem from the type of missile employed, and therefore the Fox call that initiated this particular trip down the rabbit hole.

Besides, the more you learn, the more everything else starts to make sense.

Excellent question, Neph, and the perfect example of why you must be precise with brevity codes.

Visual and Blind are eyeball only, and only apply to friendly aircraft, usually within the same element/flight. Visual acquisition of bogies/bandits and objects is Tally (No Joy for negative).

For Radar or similar sensor (e.g. IRST), the term is "contact".

Example: when getting into formation for ingress, you might have heard me say "Two Tied Visual". This means that #2 in formation (me) has you locked on radar and visual contact. Once I'm in formation and I break lock I might call "two saddled visual".

Excellent question, Neph, and the perfect example of why you must be precise with brevity codes.

Visual and Blind are eyeball only, and only apply to friendly aircraft, usually within the same element/flight. Visual acquisition of bogies/bandits and objects is Tally (No Joy for negative).

For Radar or similar sensor (e.g. IRST), the term is "contact".

Example: when getting into formation for ingress, you might have heard me say "Two Tied Visual". This means that #2 in formation (me) has you locked on radar and visual contact. Once I'm in formation and I break lock I might call "two saddled visual".

Good Stuff! :thumbsup: Bit along the lines of when you said: "Besides, the more you learn, the more everything else starts to make sense".

magnum2.jpg

@Home Fries

So what's your thoughts on above Brevity Code definition? Its out of the TAW2.0 BC document.

"We" are suggesting at TAW2.0:

Magnum: launching a HARM.

.................. or is that the same maybe .......................... I now think it is, but "our" is less definitive. :)

Magnum could also be used for ALARM or equivalient missiles, I guess. I was just thinking in terms of US inventory; as I indicated earlier, Shrike and Standard ARM (STARM) used the brevity code "Shotgun", so Magnum is exclusive to the HARM as far as the US inventory is concerned.

Magnum could also be used for ALARM or equivalient missiles, I guess. I was just thinking in terms of US inventory; as I indicated earlier, Shrike and Standard ARM (STARM) used the brevity code "Shotgun", so Magnum is exclusive to the HARM as far as the US inventory is concerned.

I think that makes it exclusive for TAW2.0 as well as the HARM is the only missile of this type available. Thanks.

Keep them coming Neph. :thumbsup: I'm looking for a somewhere/somehow to store/reference them. :huh: I'm also looking at those that are TAW2.0 specific only. eg. No need to define a MAIDEN as its not included in TAW2.0. Just the ones we use in TAW2.0 MP whether they're player specific (eg. "Rotate at 180") or universal (eg. BANDIT).

ok I will try and keep them relevent to TAW.. Seems Most have been so guess I was in sort of a way.. ;)

I think they all have been so far.

You guys can post some too.

you're too quick for us. :lol:

A Good place to store them would be in a TEXT File in the Documents folder in windows..

Maybe finally in the reference section of the launcher?

I've got a pm in with HF for his thoughts and awaiting a reply.

BENT = System indicated is inoperative.

BIRD = Friendly surface-to-air missile (SAM).

BUSTER = Directive call to fly at Military Power 100% Throttle

FOX (Number) = Simulated/actual launch of air-to-air weapons.

a. TWO - infrared-guided missile.

b. THREE - active radar-guided missile.

BANDIT = An aircraft identified as enemy, in accordance with theater ID criteria. The term does not necessarily imply direction or authority to engage

ENGAGED = Maneuvering with the intent to kill. Implies visual/radar acquisition of target

VISUAL = Sighting of a friendly aircraft/ground position; opposite of BLIND. (EyeBall sighting ONLY)

CONTACT = A&B..

a.Sensor contact at the stated position.

b. Acknowledges sighting of a specified reference point.

Here is the list all together now.. I will copy and put in my Documents for Reference and memorization..